-Efficient map/block movement rendering
-Efficient map interchange
-Special map properties
-Level/Stat system
-Damage formulas
-Turn based battle system
-Save feature with three different slots
-Story battles
-Sign/NPC text system that only reloads the part of the map that the text covered up
-Menu system
-Item/Magic/Equip systems
-Alot more I'm too lazy to update.

Below are some screenshots:

Below are some OLDER screenshots:

The latest version of my RPG can be found here.
Please keep in mind it is nowhere near finished. You should at least have OS v1.03 so that the LOCATE bug is fixed on your Prizm.

To do list:
-Add code to prevent the use of magic if you don't have enough MP to use it.
-Finish coding all spells.
-Add in special battle elements.
-Fix saving
-Make magic gates function
-Figure out what else to add the progress menu and add it in.
-Find a way to optimize NPCTXT.
-Find good damage formulas
-Find where I can combine programs and where I should create new ones for optimization.
-Find a way to have more than one treasure chest or door on a single map(This would involve changing my entire door/chest system, but would be helpful)

After finishing everything else:
-Map the rest of the game world
-Add more enemies
-Add rest of the story line
-Implement dungeons
-Add endgame sequence
-Add more treasure chests
amazing! i don't have a casio prizm yet so i can't really expend any advice/criticisms, but it looks like a good beginning
Very nice! Any chance that we can get the program files themselves to play around with? It seems that you've gotten pretty far, already, which is excellent. Usually people say that they will make an RPG and then get stuck part-way through or try for something that is too much. What is the story line, right now?
_player1537 wrote:
Very nice! Any chance that we can get the program files themselves to play around with? It seems that you've gotten pretty far, already, which is excellent. Usually people say that they will make an RPG and then get stuck part-way through or try for something that is too much. What is the story line, right now?

The cool thing is that I've spent only like a week working on it so far Smiling Cat

As for the storyline, you start in a ring of ruins and there's a sign next to them that tells about what is known about the ruins, and according to legend, the ruins draw in the conscience of beings from different realities, and the only way for those souls to return is to find the four keys from the corners of the world Smiling Cat
Oooh, that looks great! I like that both the combat screen and the overworld map both look great, even in ASCII art. I second Catherine's sentiment that you upload a beta to the Cemetech archives when you get the program to a point that you feel like sharing it.
KermMartian wrote:
Oooh, that looks great! I like that both the combat screen and the overworld map both look great, even in ASCII art. I second Catherine's sentiment that you upload a beta to the Cemetech archives when you get the program to a point that you feel like sharing it.

Thanks Very Happy

Okie, I will. When I get home I'll find my calculator and upload some of the files for you guys, and you guys can help me make them more efficient Very Happy
Excellent, we have quite a bit of experience with TI-BASIC optimizations, and although we're less experienced as a group with Casio BASIC optimizations, I bet a lot of skills carry over.
Looks very nice Sarah Smile glad to see a good-looking RPG made in BASIC for the Prizm. Good luck!
I uploaded a zip with all the files in it here Smiling Cat
http://uploading.com/files/d7d6e1be/RPGFiles.zip/

ZDMGFRM controls the damage formulas
ZEQUIP controls the equip system. It's mainly empty because I made it work temporarily so I could test something else
ZEXPTBL controls the Exp required at specific levels and the actual leveling up.
ZITMDAT controls items but it's empty at the moment because I haven't implemented that system
ZMAGDAT controls the magic system, pretty much empty because I haven't added that system either.
ZMAP001-008 controls the block movement and rendering of maps. I have not yet made MAP007 link to MAP008
ZMAPBSE is the base that I copy over every time I make a new map.
ZMAPDCD is the file that decides what map to open based on your current map and X/Y coordinate.
ZMAPLOD renders the map you were on when you saved your game.
ZMAPRND is a map that is completely randomized.
ZMAPTST tests the block movement and look of the last map you opened.
ZMENU01-04 are separate sections of the menu, only one of which I have completed.
ZNMY001 controls the first story battle.
ZNMYATK controls enemy special attacks.
ZNMYBSE is the incomplete base I copy over if I want to make a new enemy.
ZNMYDCD is empty, but it's meant to decide what enemy to use on random enemy encounters.
ZNMYTST is a test enemy. The enemy has one working special attack.
ZNPCTXT controls text displayed when pressing Exe next to an information bearing Map element.
ZRPG is the heart of the game, controlling movement and files opened.
ZSVE is the program that runs when you save your game, and it saves all the currently used important variables to Matrix S
ZSVESEL is the program you run to select a save slot to resume.
ZSVESL1-3 are the programs that reload variables from the S Matrix.
ZTRESRE controls treasure chests.

Variables:
XY are the XY positions of the main char.
Z is the current map.
VW are the XY positions of the space that deletes previous renderings of the main character.
RSTU are the four variables used to detect things such as info or block movement.
Q is a multipurpose variable used to skip parts of various programs.
P is the variable that controls the current equip.
I forget what O is.
MN are the XY positions of treasure chests.
KL are the XY positions of save points.
A is the variable used to decide the type of attack chosen in a battle.
B is the variable used in the following programs used to figure out which part to use: ZMAGDAT, ZDMGFRM, ZNMYATK
C is the amount of damage something takes.
D is the variable used to know if you're currently in defense, so the battle can cancel the bonus defense stats defending adds.
E is the amount of DEF that a given shield adds upon using defense.
F is the amount of PRT that a given shield adds upon using defense.

List 20 controls the player stats.
List 21 controls the enemy stats.
List 22 controls equips.
List 23 controls I forget.
List 24 controls magic.

Matrix A controls map and map properties.
Matrix S is the matrix that variables get saved to.
That looks really cool actually. I was going to make one of these, you dream crusher Smiling Cat.

I kid, that looks really good. I have got to get around looking at the code to make games like that.
Wow, that's super-detailed. Sarah, you should take some screenshots, then upload that to the Cemetech file archives with the contents of that post as a readme! Wink
Today, I converted all my maps over from Mat A[Y,X] to List 1[Y*21-(21-X)] (Reducing the size of their respective files by 1200~1400 bytes each in exchange for a little loss of speed in rendering the maps), and tested out and implemented a random enemy encounter system, which selects a random number between two variables that differ between maps. If the selected number is one, then there is an enemy encounter. The first variable is always one, except on maps without random encounters, where it is two.
Very nice! I look forward to future updates and progress! Smile
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yay! Very Happy

Anybody want me to post the updated files?
Sarah wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yay! Very Happy

Of course! Smile
Ashbad wrote:
Sarah wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Yay! Very Happy

Of course! Smile

Okie.

http://uploading.com/files/2151e2b4/RPGFiles.zip/

Added files this round are:

ZTSTMAP which is for testing special map features.

Updated files this round are:

All map files.
ZRPG
ZNMYDCD
How far are you on this now? I would check myself, but there's only 61KBs of memory for the Prizm.
Twins wrote:
How far are you on this now? I would check myself, but there's only 61KBs of memory for the Prizm.
I still have a couple systems to add, but after that it'll be as simple as developing the story and maps.
Today I gave the battle system an overhaul causing it to take up 1/3 the size(I'd really appreciate it if some people could look at it and tell me if I messed up anything), added new enemies(Before I overhauled the system, so I need to convert the enemies to the new system), prevented movement to certain maps until the first story battle is completed, added random encounters to a few preexisting maps, and finally, fixed a bug with leveling that caused stats not to be added on leveling up. I also attempted to fix a serious bug with treasure chests that I couldn't figure out that caused you to open up the chest immediately on starting the game no matter what, if you somehow don't finish the battle.

Updated files here
http://uploading.com/files/mada1b2f/RPGFiles.zip/

New files are:

ZBTLBSE which is the heart of the new battle system
ZNMY002-004 which are new enemies
ZNMYDCD2 which is a second DECIDE file for enemies that the battle system uses.
ZNMYBSE which is the new base for enemies(The old NMYBSE was renamed to ZNMYBSE2 and will be used for special battles.
ZNWGME which is my failed fix to the treasure chest bug. It however fixes the bug for the next time you run ZRPG if you run it on its own.

Edited files are:
ZNMY001
ZNMY003
ZNMYBSE2
ZEXPTBL
ZMAP004
ZMAP005
ZMAP003
ZMAP007
ZMAP008
ZRPG
Wow, the speed at which you're progressing on this is impressive indeed! By the way, you were mentioning on SAX turning this into a framework for other RPGs, similar to something I was tossing around in your general direction yesterday, and I think you should definitely pursue that!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours