Ach, thats right I keep on saying 1997 x.x

anywho, once Hansel gets back I guess we can continue to be on topic.
I know my method would only work if people were honest and did the right thing. So it will probably never ever work unless someone makes a utopia.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there wasn't a demo for Goldeneye 007 for the wii, so now I'm out $50.

They would never ever let you return a game unless it's scratched and then you just get to exchange it. The only time you can return is if it's in original packaging and the RFID chip matches if the store uses them.

I will admit I pirate things , but it's only because a-lot of times it takes more work to make a backup than it does to download it.

Kerm I too would make a donation if you made it available. I have a-lot of respect for these kind of forums and undestand the cost and effort that goes into them.
qazz42 wrote:
Really, if Microsoft just lived on donations, it would not have made it to Windows 1997...

Actually, if their OS was free, as Tron: Legacy oh-so-cleverly suggested(even to just schools and libraries), they could easily recoup their losses through applications like Microsoft Office and their Server and Enterprise editions. Also, people are much more forgiving toward the flaws of free software than they are to something they have to pay for, which would do wonders for MS's image.
Looks like even Microsoft isn't above a little piracy every now and then: http://www.techpavan.com/2009/05/24/microsoft-deepz0ne-pirated-cracked-sound-forge-windows-xp-audio/
elfprince13 wrote:
Looks like even Microsoft isn't above a little piracy every now and then: http://www.techpavan.com/2009/05/24/microsoft-deepz0ne-pirated-cracked-sound-forge-windows-xp-audio/
Wow, that's quite entertaining and facepalm-worthy. Thanks for finding and sharing that, Elfprince.
In their defense, they probably outsourced their sound development to the lowest bidder(and thus got someone less than reputable, thanks free market!), but still.
DShiznit wrote:
In their defense, they probably outsourced their sound development to the lowest bidder(and thus got someone less than reputable, thanks free market!), but still.
Probably what happened here, but I still question why they would have had to outsource something like that. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes, although it doesn't seem like they got mountains of bad publicity from this.
Mozilla is standing up to ICE/DHS: http://lockshot.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/homeland-security-request-to-take-down-mafiaafire-add-on/
elfprince13 wrote:
FTA:
Quote:
One of the fundamental issues here is under what conditions do intermediaries accede to government requests that have a censorship effect and which may threaten the open Internet.
^This. What happened to freedoms? Shock
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
FTA:
Quote:
One of the fundamental issues here is under what conditions do intermediaries accede to government requests that have a censorship effect and which may threaten the open Internet.
^This. What happened to freedoms? Shock

9/11
Speaking of which, I don't know how long this page has been up, but here's a link to a page on the EFF's website: https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=468. It involves the PATRIOT Act.
DShiznit wrote:
I agree for the most part. I mean, intellectual copyright is what keeps inventors and artists from being ripped off, but at the same time, large powerful companies rape their customers with copyright, using it to decide what you are and are not allowed to do with what you purchased, and forcing intrusive and sometimes dangerous DRM down your throat. Really, it's a matter of individual ethics among pirates. Most will buy programs they enjoy, especially independent stuff, and support companies that treat their customers well, while trying to f*ck over those who try to force totalitarian DRM on us.

One of the things I most dislike about copyright/intellectual property laws is how vague the laws and what constitutes violations are. For example, at lot of the stuff we've done to unlock the Prizm could be argued to violate the DMCA if Casio chose to waste their money on that. Sony actually chose to pursue the case with Geohot, although he did more than we've done.

So, when it comes to copyrights, sometimes it's better to just say "F*** you" to the company and ignore them. Personally, I have no problem paying for products or services that I find useful...

..mostly. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the $40 Microsoft would undoubtedly charge if Doors CS were theirs Razz

When the price is reasonable for the utility, then I have no problem though.
BUMP

http://kotaku.com/5837330/what-a-pc-developer-who-actually-understands-drm

This guy knows wth he's talking about.
DShiznit wrote:

See also "Wolfire"
DShiznit wrote:

Pretty much. The other alternative is a DRM system that offers value to consumers, such as Steam.
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Pretty much. The other alternative is a DRM system that offers value to consumers, such as Steam.

More or less. I don't like that I have to buy a separate copy of the same game for every person in my family who wants to play it on the same damn computer. Other than that, it's a very nice system.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours