KeithJohansen wrote:
[noob] QFT? [/noob]

"Quoted For Truth" - basically you quote the person so that they can't edit it. Rather lame, if you ask me.

@Angel: You need to quit making rules until you can follow them Razz. The acceptable limit for double posting around here is 24 hours, not 4 days Rolling Eyes.
Angel14995 wrote:
14) No doubleposting unless there is a reason, like a thread of your for projects has had no new posts in 4 days.

I never said that 4 days was the mininum, I was giving an example.

And I stopped necroposting. I try to keep rules now.
New Rule: "k" is not a word. "k" is an abbreviated form of "okay," and is highly improper.
KeithJohansen wrote:
14) No letting tifreak8x multipost 0x5 Just Joking

Oh, I am a man law now!! Awesome!! ^_^

Anyways, here is one:

Don't post someting up, asking for help, then figure it out yourself and delete the post. Editing the post stating the solution at the bottom is awesome, so if someone else has the same problem, they can see what you did to remedy the problem.

And don't take this out of context, please try to figure it out yourself if no one is on, helps with the learning experience. Smile
Don't ask for help without first having searched for a solution via Google and trial-and-error for a minimum of one (1) hour. If you think you don't have time to search, then you most certainly don't have time to come here, login, and make a new post/thread about it.

EDIT: To, too, and two are three different words with three different meanings and usages - learn them or don't use them.
Another pet peeve of mine: your and you're.

Example 1:
"Your stupid." My stupid what? I don't own a stupid.
"You're calculator is broken." I'm not a calculator. Learn English.
IAmACalculator is a calculator though. Laughing
I propose we hang, draw and quarter anyone guilty of compounding multiple dialects of English. Further, anyone committing the following crimes must be executed by some other, more expedient, means:

- Irregardless (look-up a word before you use it)
- Amongst / amidst (fairly acceptable if you're not from the U.S., but still comes off as ye olde English bilgewater)
- Anyways (U.S. Southern dialect; appears uneducated and / or informal)
- Towards, backwards, forwards (drop the -s, unless you're a bloke from the U.K.)
- Anyone using e.g. and i.e. interchangeably
- "Alright," instead of "all right"
- "Me" when you should be using the nominative "I"
- "Masterbate" (this is likely an indication that you're too young to be using the Internet)
- "Burnt," "spilt," "learnt," etc. (unless you're living outside of the U.S., these need to end in -ed; in the U.S., this usually reflects a lack of education and / or a Southern dialect)
- Capitalizing Every Word In An English Title
- Pronouncing "kamikaze" as "com-ih-ka-zee" (Japanese phonology, from which the word was taken, is nothing like that of English)
- Misspelling "kamikaze"
- Pronouncing "karaoke" as "kary-oh-key" (same as above; though it should be noted "karaoke" was partially loaned *to* Japanese via English "orchestration")
- If you say "fount" instead of "found," then you deserve to be burned at the stake (there are people guilty of this)
- African-American Vernacular English, ("Maury Povich, they *is* my children!") which is sometimes worse than Southern American English
- Southern American English
- "Colour," "favour," etc. when you were born and raised in the U.S., and never sat foot outside of U.S. territories

That is all... for now. I may append further infractions at a later time. Razz
Some excellent entries there! I'll have to think about what I need to add to that list of yours. Smile
HOLY NECROPOST BATMAN!!!

J/k it's fine, plus the topic was stickied anyway. I think people who spoke English for over a decade should do some effort when posting on forums and those who use it as foreign language should try to not get bad habits from English-native users who totally murder the language.

Also a spell-checker is really handy. Just don't enable automated correction, please, especially if you use an iPod Touch or an iMat. Sometimes, it gives worse results than 4chan talk.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
HOLY NECROPOST BATMAN!!!

J/k it's fine, plus the topic was stickied anyway. I think people who spoke English for over a decade should do some effort when posting on forums and those who use it as foreign language should try to not get bad habits from English-native users who totally murder the language.

Also a spell-checker is really handy. Just don't enable automated correction, please, especially if you use an iPod Touch or an iMat. Sometimes, it gives worse results than 4chan talk.
Yeah, I've seen some pretty sad results of the iPod auto-spelling-fixing. :/ And I don't mind the necropost since he had some valuable content to add.
Zera wrote:
[...]

You must find using the Internet quite irritating as many of the gripes on your list are correct (or, at worst, acceptable) in the majority of English-speaking countries. Feel free to have a go at someone for getting something wrong (e.g. confusing exempli gratia and id est) but I think it's a bit silly to get worked up about people not using US English.

You may try to argue for consistency but that doesn't really work either. Computing terms in UK English will often take on the US spellings (for example, we watch television programmes but run computer programs). A Frisbee is a flying disc yet we store files on a magnetic disk. US English is not free from such variations; the Compact Disc is spelt in the British fashion on both sides of the pond. (More abstract terms, such as object orientated programming, seem immune to Americanisation).

Oh, and:
benryves wrote:
That's great. That made me laugh. A lot.
merthsoft wrote:
benryves wrote:
That's great. That made me laugh. A lot.
I also lol'ed. Bonus points for them all being British imho.
benryves wrote:
Zera wrote:
[...]

You must find using the Internet quite irritating

Not at all.
Zera wrote:

- Amongst / amidst (fairly acceptable if you're not from the U.S., but still comes off as ye olde English bilgewater)
- Towards, backwards, forwards (drop the -s, unless you're a bloke from the U.K.)
- "Burnt," "spilt," "learnt," etc. (unless you're living outside of the U.S., these need to end in -ed; in the U.S., this usually reflects a lack of education and / or a Southern dialect)
- "Colour," "favour," etc. when you were born and raised in the U.S., and never sat foot outside of U.S. territories

may i be exempt if i grew up reading antiquated english novels, continue to do so now because it is part of my school's curriculum, count Susanna Clarke as one of my favourite authors, and have indeed been to england as well as several other european countries?

srsly, though, i agree with your complaints about the majority of those.

oh, and that video is wondrous!
I hope so, because I use a lot of those as well. >_<
I make an annoying habit of using crappy grammar, but I often do that on purpose. Once I learn a grammar rule, I purposefully try to break it every chance that I get. Our brains are absolutely amazing at interpreting data. We can butcher a sentence and still have others understand us. If a calculator was meant to receive the data "Sorry, I have to go." and instead received "sry gtg :/" the calculator would probably not be able to interpret the data properly. I just find it amazing that we can understand this, that is all.

I would also like to point out that in my case, I moved around too much and I never formally learned english grammar. All of the grammar that I learned has come from reading books and studying french in school. I sometimes don't capitalise certain words (because in french they are not) and I slip in the letter "s" as opposed to "z" because that is how I learned it. I also type the way I would speak and I grew up in a setting where "y'all" is a fairly common contraction for "you all."

I do not like people that try to use big words just to use big words and show off. We have to remember that the purpose of language is communication. If I cannot understand you because you want to use big words, then:
1) You are irresponsible.
2) You have failed the purpose of language.
Obviously it is not your fault if you don't know what words I do and don't know or if you can't speak a language that I would understand. However, if you are using a language and syntax that you know not all of your readers or listeners will understand, that is your fault.

On these sites, our audience consists of young teens, older teens, adults, and KermMartian (Razz). Some of us speak english as our native or primary language while others speak other languages. It really is fun to use proper grammar and to use advanced diction and syntax (word choice, pretty much), but I think our biggest failure will come from others not being able to get the gist of what we are saying.

Banana wrappers and spider whispers.
Xeda wrote:
On these sites, our audience consists of young teens, older teens, adults, and KermMartian (Razz). Some of us speak english as our native or primary language while others speak other languages. It really is fun to use proper grammar and to use advanced diction and syntax (word choice, pretty much), but I think our biggest failure will come from others not being able to get the gist of what we are saying.
I'm going to argue that by using proper diction, we maximize the number of English "speakers" that will understand us. I'd argue that poor grammar and spelling and rampant lack of grammar would make English even harder to understand for non-native speakers and those still learning English. They are likely learning from at least marginally-coherent sources, consisting of vocabulary, basic to advanced sentence structure, etc, and they might be thrown off by a loose attitude towards formal and correct posts. I think just by dint of existing in an English-speaking (not typing) world, you learned how to express yourself clearly in the language to the majority of other English speakers, regardless of dialectic tics and quirks like "y'all", and anyone with a similar background should find it similarly trivial to understand you and make him or herself understood.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours