Is Java a good starting language?
What is the similarity between Java and JavaScript, or are they the same thing?
Could you a recommend a tutorial?
What's the best IDE for Java?

Sorry for all the questions. I am thinking about learning Java as my first REAL language.

• No, choose Python instead for a first language. Java has lots of boilerplate voodoo words that don't make sense until a couple weeks in.
  • Basically nonexistent similarity other than poor choice of name and vaguely C-like syntax.
  • There are tons, but like I said, choose Python instead.
  • XCode (for Mac) or NetBeans elsewhere.
Okay.
Meh, I would take C# over java, depends what ya want to do, really...

either way, don't do java, I hear negative things about it as a language >.>
elfprince13 wrote:
Basically nonexistent similarity other than poor choice of name and vaguely C-like syntax.

Also keep in mind the name of the language isn't actually JavaScript, but EMCAScript.

Quote:
XCode (for Mac) or NetBeans elsewhere.

Eclipse gets a lot of crap, but it's actually really, really powerful. But as you should start with Python, you really don't need to mess with an IDE. Just start with an editor with syntax highlighting. Python evens comes with one on Windows called IDLE. Whether or not you even want an IDE is entirely up to you as well. I work with a lot of engineers who do all their coding in vi or emacs. You don't have to use an IDE if you don't want to.
Kllrnohj wrote:

Eclipse gets a lot of crap, but it's actually really, really powerful.

This is true, but no one in their right mind wants to deal with its vagaries, so I left it out.

Kllrnohj wrote:

Python evens comes with one on Windows called IDLE.

IDLE isn't bad, but I'd recommend Notepad++ (on Windows) or Komodo Edit (Windows, Mac, or Linux) instead.
I agree with the Python sentiment, though I've never fully "learned" it. Java is only really useful when you are taking a Comp. Sci. course and have to learn/use it. Until then, it is a very awkward language to work in, and scripting languages are much better for having your program work on a variety of OSes. For the editor, Emacs works really well (for me), but you should probably start with IDLE or Notepad++.
_player1537 wrote:
I agree with the Python sentiment, though I've never fully "learned" it. Java is only really useful when you are taking a Comp. Sci. course and have to learn/use it. Until then, it is a very awkward language to work in, and scripting languages are much better for having your program work on a variety of OSes. For the editor, Emacs works really well (for me), but you should probably start with IDLE or Notepad++.

I've got both now. Very Happy
I definitely would recommend learning Python; it's a great language, and as a coder of both, it earns far more respect from me than Java. Generally Java is used for more "big" projects than Python, but Java is widely scorned as cumbersome, slow, and hugely inelegant.
JGrasp is probably the best Java IDE if you have windows.
I actually suggest Perl... can make quite a bit of money off of it professionally ^.^ that and PHP

Java is a very dirty language. Eats up far too many resources >.> Javascript is always handy to know. Lets you complete simple tasks in simple web pages.
Perl, while it used to be a popular language, isn't even remotely as popular anymore. I don't recommend it at all since no one uses it anymore, except for dealing with old code.
_player1537 wrote:
Java is only really useful when you are taking a Comp. Sci. course and have to learn/use it.

Also when applying for jobs dealing with enterprise server applications and in certain cases for ease of cross platform development with something that still has the speed of a compiled language.

KermMartian wrote:
but Java is widely scorned as cumbersome, slow, and hugely inelegant.

Only cumbersome + inelegant really apply. It can be slow if you don't understand memory management though, but that is true of any language.

JoeYoung wrote:
JGrasp is probably the best Java IDE if you have windows.

jGrasp hardly even qualifies as an IDE. Use NetBeans.
I tried learning Java it's reeeeaaaally hard. So start out with python like others have said. Then if you really want to try java go for it
spud2451 wrote:
I tried learning Java it's reeeeaaaally hard. So start out with python like others have said. Then if you really want to try java go for it
Oh, I absolutely have to disagree with you there. Java is one of the most idiot-proof programming languages out there, and it's (in my opinion, EXTREMELY wrongly) often taught in CS101 courses as a first language.
FWIW, my Software Design (pre-requisite to AP Comp. Sci.) class is learning QBasic, VBasic, and later Java. My friend, who took a Comp. Sci. class at some private school (they were doing a summer workshop) said that she started with Java when she was there.

Elfprince, I haven't heard of any companies, recently, who still work in Java for their programs. Except for Minecraft and Runescape, I mean.
KermMartian wrote:
Oh, I absolutely have to disagree with you there. Java is one of the most idiot-proof programming languages out there...

Definitely. The entire JVM is pretty much designed as a massive set of safety scissors.
_player1537 wrote:
Elfprince, I haven't heard of any companies, recently, who still work in Java for their programs. Except for Minecraft and Runescape, I mean.

Hurray for flaunting one's ignorance! As much as I hate Java, to say companies aren't using it is incredibly false. Want a big one? How about Google? Android alone accounts for thousands of companies doing Java work, and Google's servers run some Java. Heck, some of Google's javascript sites are written in Java (look up GWT). Twitter is another big user of Java for its backend servers.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Oh, I absolutely have to disagree with you there. Java is one of the most idiot-proof programming languages out there...

Definitely. The entire JVM is pretty much designed as a massive set of safety scissors.
Indeed, which explains some of its cumbersomeness, which I suppose could be argued a necessary or unnecessary evil for what it offers. Kllrnohj, can I mock them for doing so for why Twitter failwhales so often, then?
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj, can I mock them for doing so for why Twitter failwhales so often, then?

That's probably because they still use ruby on the front end. Wink

Or their code sucks. No language can save you from yourself.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours