Can this GRiD 1660 be fixed?
It's problem is that it won't turn on. The reason is that it didn't come with a battery, so I attempted to hotwire it by taking a normal laptop cord, taping wires to the positive and negative, and wiring them to a 2 of the 4 terminals. I must have chosen the wrong ones. A moment later, it popped, stank, and didn't turn back on.
My hotwire actually worked beautifully while it was rigged to the proper port. It was a bad idea to change that.
My younger brother (who paid for half of it) and I want this laptop to be fixed VERY much!

You live in Oregon!

Back on topic, I wouldn't know a solution, never heard of the problem before.
You killed it, sucks to be you.

Next time, don't randomly connect stuff - especially when it's power related.
mobutu4 wrote:
You live in Oregon!

What, do you live in Oregon?
CalebHansberry wrote:
mobutu4 wrote:
You live in Oregon!

What, do you live in Oregon?

Yes.
Well, cool. I wish I was an "Advanced Newbie".

Edit: Times have changed. Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
You killed it, sucks to be you.

Next time, don't randomly connect stuff - especially when it's power related.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new. Sounds like you got the magic white smoke of dead electronics.
I could be mistaken, but if you were lucky, the brunt of the damage could have been taken by the first component in the series(I think, EE students, help me out here). If that were the case, than you could replace that part, but such a repair would require some very precise and difficult soldering, which I doubt you're capable of just yet.
Yeah, your laptop's dead. Sad
Wow. Fail. But funny. That's pure comedy. Smile
Whoa! That thing looks older than my dino-laptop! Too bad you let the magic smoke out.

Like DShiznit said, the damage may be limited to a single component, perhaps a capacitor (capacitors like to go POP if you put too much power or reverse the power through them). You could try opening it up and see if there's a popped capacitor near the power input, but even if it's only a blown capacitor it may be tricky to replace. It's probably easier and cheaper to find another old laptop than to repair this one.
And by the way, you should have bought a battery; I would never mess with power sources unless I knew exactly what I was doing and had a lot of experience.
You connected the power supply to the battery terminals instead of the power connector? Even if you hadn't, you would have had to check voltage and polarity. Sad Wish you had asked us first, but no, you destroyed it.
mobutu4 wrote:
And by the way, you should have bought a battery; I would never mess with power sources unless I knew exactly what I was doing and had a lot of experience.

Wonderful advice. For $300, you have my permission to pay for it.
CalebHansberry wrote:
mobutu4 wrote:

Wonderful advice. For $300, you have my permission to pay for it.
Or just plug in the power cord with the battery removed. Razz And a $300 battery? All the replacement laptop batteries I've have to buy have been in the $50-$75 range, although I suppose that it being such an old laptop makes the battery rarer and harder to find (and thus more expensive).
KermMartian wrote:
Or just plug in the power cord with the battery removed. Razz And a $300 battery? All the replacement laptop batteries I've have to buy have been in the $50-$75 range, although I suppose that it being such an old laptop makes the battery rarer and harder to find (and thus more expensive).

To be honest, I hotwired the power port from a cord we had around, and it worked great! Hotwiring the cord to the battery terminals was just a *STUPID* idea. Yes, this laptop is very rare, it generally cannot be bought anywhere online, and the battery was as rare. I don't think there is any way to replace this laptop.
Lookup "GRiD" in Wikipedia for some fun reading.
seana11 wrote:
Wow. Fail. But funny. That's pure comedy. Smile

Thank you so much. I know I'm just the Cemetech Sit-Down(or Let-Down as my younger brother says) Comedian. Believe me, I have done many other hilarious acts(like, I won't mention the one about my cellphone), this one is just the most devastating to me, and hilarious to everyone else.
You'll learn to look back on it and laugh, I suspect. I can't begin to recount the number of stupid electronics assumptions I made very early in my tinkering and taking-apart of things to see how they worked and to make them do new and exciting things. I've learned over time to recognize when I'm about to do something impulsive and probably a long-term bad idea, but it's still a challenge sometimes. Very Happy
JennyJones wrote:
hmmm thats really funny
Enjoy your ban, post deleted. You have until the admins ban you to start being constructive.
comicIDIOT wrote:
JennyJones wrote:
hmmm thats really funny
Enjoy your ban, post deleted. You have until the admins ban you to start being constructive.
Thanks, comicIDIOT, I appreciate your spambot - catching vigilance.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours