I am in New Jersey were expecting...oh 40-80mph winds and 8-10inches of rain. My mothers freaking out. All I've done is charge my game consoles find a candle and some matches and pile up on books to read. I'm good!
I have family in NYC; they can tell me if the media was over-reacting.
I hope the rain doesn't start too early Sunday, though, because I work from 3:15 PM to 10:15 PM, outdoor for about half of the time (although I don't need to go outdoor very much after 7:30 PM generally)
mobutu4 wrote:

Well considering the cloud spread on this storm is ~900miles in diameter and the core of it is around 200-300miles in diameter I really do not think they are. Especially with the rain we got this week. The water levels are already up and such rivers and streams are going to swell and flood. It's not going to be pretty. More so here in NJ than NYC though
Well this will do nothing to affect me but my gf just so happens to live in Philly which is predicted to get hit hard. So naturally I'm concerned for her even though this is probably blown way out of proportion. I just hope she continues to get cell service tomorrow cause otherwise she'll have a long day locked inside.
geekboy1011 wrote:
mobutu4 wrote:

Well considering the cloud spread on this storm is ~900miles in diameter and the core of it is around 200-300miles in diameter I really do not think they are. Especially with the rain we got this week. The water levels are already up and such rivers and streams are going to swell and flood. It's not going to be pretty. More so here in NJ than NYC though

This exactly. what people fail to take into account is the already waterlogged status of NYC and NJ. The storm on it's own might not have been much of a threat, but with the tides already high, it could cause serious overflows(which would be bad if the metro were running, since its, you know, below sea level...).
Windows are taped, taking out my AC soon, food and water are fine. I still think it's getting massively overblown, but I guess we'll see soon. It's almost 3am Sunday, took two walks out with my friends to see what it was like; nothing terrible other than some big gusts.
I will have to work outdoor in the middle of it... Shock

Thankfully the one responsible of the store next evening said he might close it earlier if it gets too bad, though.

Since I live in Quebec, it most likely won't be an hurricane anymore over here, but we have high tides issue right now, so both combined might cause major flooding near St-Lawrence River in some areas.

Also I discovered that Juju lives close to a river. Since we're supposed to get quite a bit of rain from the remains of that storm in the next 24 hours, I hope he doesn't get flooded.
Good luck, DJ_O; I hope that you and Juju both stay safe. It's very eerily quiet right now in New York; as I just tweeted, there seems to be no storming and no people, and it's quite bright out. I guess it'll pick up again soon...?
You most likely are in the eye of it. I think we're not gonna go through the eye over here, as the storm will pass a bit more to the South.

I should personally be fine, since I live on high grounds and far from rivers and lakes, although if rain was to be very heavy, maybe some sewers won't keep up, so it could cause some minor flooding in streets and parking lots.

I think the part that is gonna get hit the hardest by rain in Quebec is Sherbrooke city and the surroundings, although they'll get much less winds, according to forecasts.
Fire alarms suck today.
elfprince13 wrote:
Fire alarms suck today.
Ouch, a fire alarm during a hurricane? I hope it wasn't just a drill; that would be downright cruel.
Haha, East Coast losers.
Well, I lost power which sucks and means no Minecraft. Right now I am at my grandparents' house so I have bad wifi here on a slow laptop.
Only a slow wifi link? Poor you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Mitch
Yup. Also, I know it could be worse like my house being flooded and than ks for the links.
Well so far we kinda got what they announced, although during afternoon winds stopped for about 30 minutes until they picked up again during evening.

That was a sucky evening for sure, especially that the store remained pretty busy until about 4:30 PM, meaning extra work outdoors. Thankfully I got my entire outdoor job done before it got too bad, though.

So far they did not report big damages. Only a lot of broken trees, power outages and some localized minor floodings. The store where I work is sure not water-proof, though. Some of the rain leaked in from the roof into the generator room and in aisle 8 X.x
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Fire alarms suck today.
Ouch, a fire alarm during a hurricane? I hope it wasn't just a drill; that would be downright cruel.

A fire alarm during a hurricane relatively early (9am) on a Sunday morning on a college campus. The pump truck showed up, so I don't think it was just a drill, but nothing bad happened.

The rivers here are very high and I guess a lot of the state is a mess, but I didn't even notice anything unusual here on campus.

All clear in Seattle.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours