Hello,
I made these pictures. I might actually do this after I finish other projects. The first one is of the main screen. On the top, where it says "Text(", is the auto-complete box, which populates itself as you type, and will automatically complete what you are typing if you press 2nd. The bottom line of the autocomplete box has a missing pixel - this indicates the horizontal scroll. Along right hand line is another missing pixel for vertical scroll. Along the bottom are 5 buttons corresponding to each function key - Run, Run with Debugger, Save, Menu, and Command List. Menu opens up the menu seen in the second image. Command List opens up another menu, with a list of every menu accessible through TIOS in the program editor. From this menu, pressing any of the buttons on the keyboard will go to the corresponding menu (image 3). Once there, you can use left and right to navigate the submenus, and push a number/alpha+letter key to insert that command. The keyboard shortcuts here are so that you aren't slowed down if you're used to the TIOS program editor.
The menu in the second image is pretty self explanatory, except for Documentation, which basically opens the command menu and gives you the documentation for the command you select.

It you're going to use DCS-style GUIs, why not just use DCS GUIs and save yourself pain and suffering? Smile Looks like a cool idea.
Except that I'm not using DCS-style GUI Smile The only thing similar is the window borders, and only slightly.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Except that I'm not using DCS-style GUI Smile The only thing similar is the window borders, and only slightly.
The only difference I see is (Axe) instead of [X], but regardless, those GUIs would be trivial to create with the DCS GUI API, and it would save you a lot of work writing your own GUIs. To each his own, of course. Can I safely assume that these are mockups?
I agree, with the DCS-libs, it would be a lot easier, it would be almost stupid not to use them. This seems well under what the libs could be used for, so I suggest them as Kerm did.
Ashbad wrote:
I agree, with the DCS-libs, it would be a lot easier, it would be almost stupid not to use them. This seems well under what the libs could be used for, so I suggest them as Kerm did.
Thanks for the support, Ashbad. Smile I think you were involved in the Axe/DCS GUI project; do you know what ever happened with it?
Not much, actually :/ I was thinking of just taking it up on my own and just finishing it in a day, since the team thing didn't work well, it was mostly just talk and little code. It really, really shouldn't be that hard, but I dont know if I'd Interface assembly with Axioms, they're disgustingly limited by only allowing use of tokens for calling. I'll probably just make a simple axe source file full of the routines using inline assembly, and people can copy them as needed, with credit given to you.
SirCmpwn, is this a full-fledged TI-BASIC editor replacement, or just an IDE for Axe?
As far as using DCS GUI is concerned, I want to do more with the editor and more with the GUI than I think DCS will allow for. Examples:
*Textbox*
-Run code whenever input is detected
-Psuedo-scroll bars (note the missing pixel on the top and right borders)
-Horizontal scrolling
*Window*
-Function buttons (notice the bottom)

This will be written in assembly, not Axe. I just put (Axe) there to draw attention to the ability to detect Axe source and customize the UX based on that information.

souvik1997 wrote:
SirCmpwn, is this a full-fledged TI-BASIC editor replacement, or just an IDE for Axe?

A full fledged TI-Basic editor replacement. You'll have the option to run the app like normal, or set up a hook to open it in leu of the normal program editor.
Ooh, nice feature! I want one Razz

Any chance for "Typing" autocomplete style? As in, for getkey I'd type g, it would bring up all gs, and then I'd press e and it would narrow down, more and more until I have the command I want! Just a thought, but I would use it.

Either way, I want it! Esp. with the hook to replace the built-in one! Any way to free the original from the flash afterwards? Razz
Just to double check, this is only an idea and some pictures, right? Has any of the actual coding started?
willrandship wrote:
Any chance for "Typing" autocomplete style? As in, for getkey I'd type g, it would bring up all gs, and then I'd press e and it would narrow down, more and more until I have the command I want! Just a thought, but I would use it.

That's exactly how it would work. Take a look at the box above the text editor that says "Text("

What do you mean by "free the original from the flash?"

_player1537: You are correct, for the most part. I've done a little coding because it seemed fun, but all it does is list out the unlocked programs on your calculator in alphabetical order and allow you to select one, but it doesn't even do that well.
Hooray for that! Now I'll have a calc IDE that works exactly like my PC one Very Happy

By free the flash, I mean remove the original text editor from the OS memory (is that in flash or RAM? not sure) and open it up to the user. Unnecessary, but fun!
willrandship wrote:
Hooray for that! Now I'll have a calc IDE that works exactly like my PC one Very Happy

By free the flash, I mean remove the original text editor from the OS memory (is that in flash or RAM? not sure) and open it up to the user. Unnecessary, but fun!

Oh, no, I wouldn't delete the old one. What if the app was deleted? It's more work than it's worth.
True. I guess it's not that much space anyways, probably no more than 8 Kb.
Not to beat what is probably a dead horse, since you're unlikely to decide to use the DCS GUI API no matter how much I promote it, but you could with little to moderate effort get the GUI API to do everything except running arbitrary code per character typed. At any rate, good luck with this, if you get to it.
Probably true. But arbitrary code per keypress is a must have for code-completion. I also don't want to require users to bloat (sorry) their calculators with another 3 pages of app if they don't want to use DCS. It isn't worth it for two or three GUI elements.

EDIT: Can you really modify the text box control in DCS7 to have horizontal scrolling instead of text wrapping without too much grief? Wow!
You can, that's one of the "moderate effort" bits. Smile And as you say, since your program would be an app, it would be a pain.
I see. Oh, and in addition, I don't want it to be mouse-driven.
willrandship wrote:
You mean SourceCoder? Wink Or tiBE?

Quote:
You can hook into the OS's edit buffer routines fairly trivially; cf. the Doors CS BASIC editor.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours