yeah, like I said, only 2 pages for the overworld Wink though I need more than that for screen, but it still fits in 2 pages. Wink

and for some reason this picture won't show up: https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/screenie4.bmp
Ashbad wrote:
yeah, like I said, only 2 pages for the overworld Wink though I need more than that for screen, but it still fits in 2 pages. Wink

and for some reason this picture won't show up: https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/screenie4.bmp
That's because it's a bitmap, and bitmaps are bad. Smile Try a gif or a png instead. And yes, I failed to read properly; I saw "at first I said that I would need 7 additional pages for Data for the overworld alone" as "I will need 7 pages for data for the overworld". Are you planning to make this work on TI-83+ black/basic editions as well, or only the silver or TI-84+ calculators?
Hmm.. it WILL fit on a empty 83+ BE I'm sure, but then the calc will ONLY really be able to hold that. I'll make a version with no backbuffer drawing or rendering (so in monochrome) that will be twice as fast, due to no 15MHz mode, so that whoever wants to play it on that still can Wink
Will the monochrome version have a smaller memory footprint, or nothing substantially smaller?
I finally got around to improving the sprites for Trio, and made them for the Wooden Sword, the River Bend Blade, the Ancient Sword, the Raft, the Magic Staff, and the Hookshot.  More to come Smile  Tomorrow, hopefully the rest of the items, the spell icons, and NPCs, and then by Monday some enemies!  Here is my sprite sheet right now (seperate from my tiles sheet, which is too huge and takes up to mcuh space and this would make it messy x.x) :

EDIT: he looks like me but with a party-in-the-back awesome mullet Razz just realized that

EDIT2: sorry for leaving you hanging Kerm! Razz yeah, it should be at least a page smaller.
No worries; I had forgotten I had asked the question until you answered it. Very Happy I'd love to see a few samples of that sword being swung around once you get it implemented.
WOW, that looks awesome! Smile
Well since I said I would show progress on Monday with spriting and such, here are some things I got done:

Not nearly as much as I wanted to do, but I got busy, so, oh well I'll try to make it up to myself at a later time Razz As you can see I finally finished all of the items and started on enemies and NPCs. However I don't have great ideas for non-boss enemies, so any ideas are welcome Smile

Also, I updated the map to be better detailed and have some small new additions:

That looks cool! And to the enimies: maby some that shoot things.... Smile
Still loving the sprites and map mockups, still hoping for some screenshots that are not mockups. Smile
Hopefully by today I can get far into making the Items Menu, and work on the main battle engine some more Wink Hopefully some screenshots will be a product.
Ashbad wrote:
Hopefully by today I can get far into making the Items Menu, and work on the main battle engine some more Wink Hopefully some screenshots will be a product.
I'm not sure what that last sentence was supposed to be, but I think it might have gotten away from you. At any rate, let's see those screenshots! Very Happy
The time when I came home from my camping trip and got straight on my computer and realized that I wasn't in the mood for coding so I decided to make tiles and I threw some old ones out and fixed/remade them and then took a dump and then came back to the computer and realized I had well over 400 tiles now and well over 600 sprites done and 2000ish lines of code done so I decided to screw productivity tonight and make a mockup of what I think the game is now gonna look like in its "new" form... also known as:

Time for update!

So, assuming you're normal and didn't read that useless stupid sentence above, I decided to post progress (this time on both omnimaga, cemetech, and a few other places -- many places haven't heard an update from me from a *long* time).  I decided the code I wrote in z80 assembly for the 84+ concerning the source of TaN was rather.. stupid.  I'm not a great z80 coder.  I'm sure as hell not writing my dream game in a language I kinda sorta know.  So, I decided for one final change -- This is being written in C, using SDL for Audio and Graphics (and key input too I guess, but that's rather obvious).  I know, "ASHBAD YOU STUPID ASH FREKIN' JUST FINISH THIS GAEM" is what you all think.  But this time I promise (I was just kidding the last 6 times when I promised) that this is the *final* attempt I'm making to develop this game.  Either I make it this time, or it simply dies forever.  I made myself promise.. myself this deal, so that I would finally feel continuously motivated to work on it.  And, after switching to making this a computer project, this game has never been doing better!

Here's the deal: I decided to keep *all* the old graphics for the computer version (it's rather original for a computer game to be really old school with 4 level grayscale 8x8 sprites/tiles) and it's turning more and more into a zelda-esque game from a final-fantasy-esque game.  The original version for the calculator was planned to be a FFV-like game, with no overworld fighting; the first Axe version was a mix of that and some overworld sword action; the assembly version (of which I made multiple screenshots that should be still present in this thread) was pretty much pure zelda, but with a weird FF feel still looming; now, I can't say it has *anything* that could possibly remind you of FF.  The graphics are a mix between Zelda:LA's calming and smooth yet cartoony style and Zelda:ALTTP's detailed and *beautiful* graphics that always pushed me through a world of imagery that made me feel like Link.  I may have used these two games for graphics inspiration, but everything I've made is 100% original, all of it made by me.  I don't like the idea of using other people's graphics for an original game made by me.  The feeling puts shudders through my spine.

Here's a recent mockup I made in paint ~20 minutes ago that shows what the general style of graphics look like now, with an experimental HUD and screensize (everything is scaled by 3x for PC, to make it easier to see yet still not *too* pixelly) -- I'm thinking of making the room size much larger to something like 14x20 tiles per room.  Here is the mockup:

On a side note the main map is growing a bit; it's being expanded now.  The new map very much resembles the old, and is only like 30% finished, but here's a quick look at what it's starting to form:

As you can see it's a WIP.

Coding wise, it's doing okay.  About 200 lines of code, but mostly meant for wrapping low-level SDL things into hi-level functions I can use much easier.  So not much yet, give it a few months.

So, update complete!
Well it turns out my old progress code-wise with SDL before was with some strange old version (like 1.1 or something) so I wanted to use 1.3; however, it's hard to find really any documentation at this point, so I settled for SDL 1.2. Converting would have been easy... had at least some of my code was well written (now that I've advanced some with programming in C, I realize how awful it was) and it pretty much warrants rewriting the routines -- hopefully will get done this weekend.

No real update on the graphics, I'm pretty much just purely doing coding right now. This is the project that will never die or seemingly progress, but at least now it should be ready to go. I hope...

Sorry for no updates recently though; I haven't had time to post them anywhere, considering I kind of dropped this for the Prizm Contest. Now that it's over, I want to see how decently I can pick this up again.
Well, TaN development is going swell; I've already improved my comprehension of C and better-learned the API to SDL; so, just swell. I have a lot of wrapper functions done, and I almost have a title screen up and running; I literally just need to finish the background for it. I feel very good about recent progress on this.

EDIT: I'm also tempted to make a new thread for the computer version, since it's confusing with the past thread history with the multiple major changes; would this be okay?
Bump, I would really like to make a new thread and then lock this thread myself (unless, of course, normal users can't lock their own threads -- I wouldn't know, I've never tried it, and if I can't, I won't trouble the mods/admins with the task) because the computer version is actually getting decent progress, and changing platforms/languages in the middle of a project thread is confusing, and if possible I would like to start anew. Whatever advice given, TIA

EDIT: changed this thread's name to something like "OLD VERSION" -- I haven't made a new thread yet, I'd prefer to have an A-o-kay first.
I gave you the A-OK for the new topic on SAX. I will not be locking this thread; our policy (enforced by Kllrnohj's whining) is to not lock topics just because they're old. We only lock topics that are specifically in violation of some rule or standard are or generating unacceptable levels of drama from people posting in them.
KermMartian wrote:
I gave you the A-OK for the new topic on SAX. I will not be locking this thread; our policy (enforced by Kllrnohj's whining) is to not lock topics just because they're old. We only lock topics that are specifically in violation of some rule or standard are or generating unacceptable levels of drama from people posting in them.

Okay, fair enough Smile I'm likely to post the new thread today, I finally got some real progress to share along with a <windows> binary.
That's great, I look forward to the thread. The calculator version is going to continue though, correct?
KermMartian wrote:
That's great, I look forward to the thread. The calculator version is going to continue though, correct?

Unfortunately, nope. One reason why is that I'm being pushed by 'rents to do "actual programming" (i.e., on a computer... :/) and they don't see any of my calculator projects as 'real'. I can still pull over calculator projects in between, but something on such a large scale as this won't happen on calc.

For those of you who don't know the reason behind my 3-4 platform switches, 7-8 language changes, etc., the reason is simply because I'm OCD on this one project. I've wanted to make this a perfect project from the beginning, simply because I've been planning it for "8 years" (actual 'programming' and spriting/tiling (spriting and tiling has gotten a fair amount of progress over time) started at most 2 years ago) and I just want to be perfect. I'm not like this with any other project, but now, I finally have everything I envisioned doing 2-3 years ago: I know C well enough, I can work with an advanced and widely used graphics library, and this can be done on the computer. So, I'm finally set up to where I wanted to be in the first place.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours