It's coming along slowly, but I'm making a thing called z680k. As the name suggests, it's an emulator to run TI-83+ software on a TI-89 or 92+.

I am directly simulating the operation of each assembly instruction. I do not intend to use JIT recompilation, branch prediction, or any other sort of optimization that requires a window across multiple instructions.

My best current estimates suggest that the emulated processor will run at about 0.7MHz. This is subject to change depending on the mix of instructions that the guest program uses.

It's just over a year old at this point and most certainly not complete yet. I've held off on announcing it because I didn't want to jinx my productivity, or create false expectations. I currently have NO anticipated release date. It'll be done when it's done. This week I got it to a state where it ran a DJNZ loop correctly, which is I think as good a time as any to state something publicly.
I've been watching your progress in #ti, and #tigcc, its great to see someone finally working on this much needed emulator for the 68k series calcs. Do you have a public repo setup anywhere for the code? I'd love to pick through it and see how you are doing things.
TheStorm wrote:
I've been watching your progress in #ti, and #tigcc, its great to see someone finally working on this much needed emulator for the 68k series calcs. Do you have a public repo setup anywhere for the code? I'd love to pick through it and see how you are doing things.

I put a link in the previous message, but it's apparently difficult to see on some themes. Click anywhere on this paragraph to go to the Github repository. Feel free to ask me questions or give suggestions. I've already had some great suggestions from Lionel Debroux.
Indeed, a man whose abilities and diplomacy I hold in high esteem, re: Lionel. Regarding this project, I too have seen occasional mentions of the project around IRC, and I think that it's a superb idea. I can't wait to see it in action, and I'd be interested in glancing through your code when I get a chance. Keep up the great work!
I remember finding a link to this somewhere last summer shortly after you started it, and forgetting about it soon after.

Good luck with this project! If it ever gets finished I'd love to play with it on my 89.

On another note, there's a #tigcc?
Edit: nevermind, answered on IRC
Oh, I had missed this topic. Now watching it Smile

You're welcome, chronomex. There aren't many active TI-68k programmers making large projects, therefore such projects should be doubly encouraged Wink
And besides, I like optimizing other persons' code.

TC01: there is a #tigcc indeed. But #omnimaga, #cemetech, #ti (which you already attend - all of the major chans of the community are on EFNet anyway) have many more attendees, more technical content, and less non-technical content.
TC01, "if" it ever gets finished? Sad More like "when" it gets finished. Razz
Chronomex, how's the project going these days?
KermMartian wrote:
Chronomex, how's the project going these days?

Well, nothing has changed publicly since I last wrote. I'm working on switching it over to interleaved instruction routines and proper prefix decoding, a trick I learned from Tezxas. (Samir Ribic can explain it better than I.) I'm waiting to push that changeset until I've got it all straightened out.

Lionel Debroux wrote:
You're welcome, chronomex. There aren't many active TI-68k programmers making large projects, therefore such projects should be doubly encouraged ;)

There aren't many active TI-68k programmers at all! I barely even count.
Woah, this looks nice. It seems a bit like emu8x, in a sense. I am curious, will the final product (if you have thought about it) have the ability to link with other calculators?
qazz42 wrote:
I am curious, will the final product (if you have thought about it) have the ability to link with other calculators?

Yes. The emulated machine will have full access to the linkport. It may not run fast enough to communicate reliably with real calculators, however.
Oh hey, this is pretty darned cool Very Happy

I hope you'll keep us apprised of new developments; you could even join up on HCWP nights and program and talk about it like the rest of us cool people not playing games do. :p
Looks dumb.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Looks dumb.

That's okay. You sound dumb too.
chronomex wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
I am curious, will the final product (if you have thought about it) have the ability to link with other calculators?

Yes. The emulated machine will have full access to the linkport. It may not run fast enough to communicate reliably with real calculators, however.

Interesting, I seem to remember having the same problems with Emu8x. Although half of the problems came form the fact emu8x uses extra ram pages....
tifreak8x wrote:
Oh hey, this is pretty darned cool :D

I'm glad you think so!

tifreak8x wrote:
I hope you'll keep us apprised of new developments; you could even join up on HCWP nights and program and talk about it like the rest of us cool people not playing games do. :p

Probably not. I don't have Flash on my computer, and I spend plenty of time on irc anyway.
mobutu4: don't worry, allynfolksjr (nikky) and chronomex know each other well Wink
I'd say they know each other well, considering they are both ticalc.org staff. Razz
mobutu4 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Looks dumb.

That's okay. You sound dumb too.
Do you have anything constructive to add? The more posts I'm seeing from you, the more I'm thinking that you're quite a destructive influence, especially after this evening's excitement. I'd advise you to shape up or ship out.

Chronomex, then please keep poking us with progress and train-of-thought frustrations in your dev time on #cemetech! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours