Or, the Dangers of Bleeding-Edge Nightly builds. Observe this wonderful bug in the bleeding edge releases of the Bumblebee software package, and join me in laughing aloud at the comments and image macros:

https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6
Shhhh. Don't tell all the Archtards this.
0xd34df00d wrote:
Bleeding edge really bleeding for someone now!
Epic fail indeed.
Wow, I feel sorry for people who ran that.
Nice, one extra byte and the whole system goes croak. That's what I call an efficient bug.
Reminds me of a bug in the Firefox installer years ago when I was still on Windows—if you accidentally installed it under the top level of Program Files or whatever and then uninstalled it, it would blindly nuke all of your software rather than just its own files. :P

Update: Reading the issues, I think it's kind of funny that some users getting hit by the problem didn't even realize that the reason things were suddenly going screwy was because of the deletion of /usr. Then again, to be fair, I guess you wouldn't expect something like that to normally happen installing/uninstalling software, though. :)

There is one useful purpose of a bug like this, though: it teaches you to make regular backups, like everyone should be. >:)
Uhhh, someone pushed a commit without trying out the code first? Lame.
Hahah, epic ... win? fail? Very Happy

Suddenly, I don't think I want to install any more software blindly. Laughing
TsukasaZX wrote:
Hahah, epic ... win? fail? Very Happy

Suddenly, I don't think I want to install any more software blindly. 0x5
And indeed that's an excellent lesson to learn. Developers like us make mistakes all the time, as you may be well aware. Wink
This would never hurt me. My backups have backups.
DShiznit wrote:
This would never hurt me. My backups have backups.
As do mine, but it still would be a pain to re-install your operating system, as /usr is not where your documents and files are stored.
It's amazing how much impact one space can have.
comicIDIOT wrote:
It's amazing how much impact one space can have.
Isn't it? Hopefully that also teaches people some kind of lesson about the importance of segmenting permissions, and of not running as root all the time. Imagine if you made a typo like that while typing an rm command yourself, as root and as a regular user.
Haha, this gave me a good laugh, and caused my friend to look at me weirdly Razz
_player1537 wrote:
Haha, this gave me a good laugh, and caused my friend to look at me weirdly Razz
Heh, normal people don't understand why stuff like this is amusing to us. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours