Yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing with those. I really hope they can push minecarts off tracks onto other tracks to use for sorting. Very Happy I agree that the survival part is fun on servers that have mobs, but I just try to build all my structures at least two cubes off the ground, with two-cube walls, and with sufficient torch lighting above and below ground.

Rcfreak0, I did indeed like what I saw. I especially enjoyed the trains that wended up to a sky palace. Smile
TsukasaZX wrote:
Ironically, I find Minecraft to be much more like LEGO than freebuild is. Even though everything is cubical, the limitations of certain resources and overabundance of others forces you to think creatively with what you've got and work hard to get more of what you need. Like with how I build LEGO in real life, I don't always have the parts I need so I'm always pondering how I can find/get more or redesign the creation to use parts I do have.
When I play Minecraft, I turn into a recluse. I swear. I dig a house into a nearby mountain and with the rock I dig up, I block the front. Then I dig down, down and down. once I'm able to make TNT I start mining the cave with TNT. I also play on Peaceful.

When I play on my localhost server, I start strip mining right away. Razz I started a strip mine the other day. I laid about 256 blocks of TNT before they blew up. I don't know how. I think lightning set it off, as the cave I was working on didn't go up (as I started from the back and worked my way to the central location that *did* blow up. With all the blocks that were missing when I got back, I was surprised my computer didn't crash. I may have been far enough away for the game to not both with calculating physics. But needless to say, I am started a new server and started a strip mine under ground to begin. Not sure when I'll blow it up, but I want to use loads if TNT Razz Then I'll get it on video.
ComicIDIOT, ElderofMagic/ Nick/ ArcadesSabbouth explained to me that the game only performs physics, passage of time, growth of growing things, generation of animals and creepers, etc when a chunk is loaded. If no one is near a particular chunk, it doesn't get loaded, so nothing progresses in that chunk. I discovered that yesterday when I died, signed off, came back three hours later, and went to where I died, only to discover my dropped items still waiting for me. Apparently fewer than five minutes of realtime had passed in that chunk.
Nice review, but I think comparing MC and Freebuild is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. While FB is a pure sandbox building game, Minecraft is more of an adventure game where you have to collect every resource you want to use.
It would be better to compare classic to Freebuild, then? In that comparison I bet freebuild would win, since it is far less buggy and more developed, plus has more options.
willrandship wrote:
It would be better to compare classic to Freebuild, then? In that comparison I bet freebuild would win, since it is far less buggy and more developed, plus has more options.
I never played Classic, nor am I too familiar with its features. Was it more of a pure building game without the mobs and such?

Oh, one thing I definitely want Freebuild to have is times of day.
KermMartian wrote:
willrandship wrote:
I never played Classic, nor am I too familiar with its features. Was it more of a pure building game without the mobs and such?

Catgoesmoo is working on just this in The Orange Block. Since we're thinking of porting over everything anyway, it should be trivial to throw it back into Freebuild when it's released, assuming there isn't already a better system in T3D, which I think there is. Pure collada maps would mean no baked-in shadows, and thus the sun can change position without having to regenerate lightmaps on the buildings.
That's excellent! I've experimented with approximations where there are a bunch of different sky boxes for different times of day, and it switches between them occasionally, but obviously that's a very poor reproduction of a fluid day/night system. Sounds to me like you should get Catgoesmoo to come say hello to us.
KermMartian wrote:
willrandship wrote:

Classic is basically the concept of Freebuild with the Minecraft engine. You have unlimited numbers of each block (Pure blocks only though. No redstone/minecarts Sad ) and no times of day. You also can't take damage and you're restricted to a small finite world.
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing with those. I really hope they can push minecarts off tracks onto other tracks to use for sorting. Very Happy I agree that the survival part is fun on servers that have mobs, but I just try to build all my structures at least two cubes off the ground, with two-cube walls, and with sufficient torch lighting above and below ground.

Rcfreak0, I did indeed like what I saw. I especially enjoyed the trains that wended up to a sky palace. Smile

Theres a lot of tracks that go all over the place Smile. Im glad you like the server! Feel free to drop by whenever and hopefully maybe next time someone will be around to show you around more, assuming you missed stuff. lol
KermMartian wrote:
That's excellent! I've experimented with approximations where there are a bunch of different sky boxes for different times of day, and it switches between them occasionally, but obviously that's a very poor reproduction of a fluid day/night system. Sounds to me like you should get Catgoesmoo to come say hello to us.

Well what I was discussing with her, was to subtly change the skysolid color and fog colors over long periods of time, not using a skybox at all. That, combined with an equally subtle but continuous change of the sun's position and flare position(which in TGE 1.5 are one and the same) would give the effect of a rising and setting sun. The only problem is relighting the scene periodically for shapes that use baked-in lightmaps, which includes buildings and terrain unfortunately...
You can play classic on minecraft.net, Kerm. Here's a link to Single Player.

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp
willrandship wrote:
You can play classic on minecraft.net, Kerm. Here's a link to Single Player.

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp
That was moderately fun; I'm interested to see where Minecraft came from. The weirdest thing is that I was once working on a game called Multiplicity, a Java browser game, that had a VERY similar concept to Minecraft Classic, plus multiplayer abilities.
I remember playing that! Did that end much like WorldTrends?
That is the one sort of minecraft I will actually play, when I'm really bored I just hop on a randomly generated world and go spelunking in the caves and such. I will hand it to notch for the world generator that is a sweet setup.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I remember playing that! Did that end much like WorldTrends?
Well, I think you misremember WorldTrends, then. Smile WorldTrends worked very well, in fact a bit too well, too the point where it was consuming a disproportionate share of my shared webserver's resources with all the data it was collecting and crunching. I always meant to resurrect it on one of the Simms' servers or even my home machine, but I never got around to it. The shortcomings of Multiplicity were a sad dearth of Java skills combined with an incomplete vision of where I wanted to go with the project. I did get some decent 3D walking and moving and rotating done before I abandoned it, mostly in one long 36-hour period at school.
Minecraft is "influenced" by Infiniminer, a DM or Capture The Flag (I forget?) in a finite world with blocks. It had a class system where miners would go underground to mine gold and bring to bank blocks on the surface. Lava was also undeground.
Lucas W wrote:
Minecraft is "influenced" by Infiniminer, a DM or Capture The Flag (I forget?) in a finite world with blocks. It had a class system where miners would go underground to mine gold and bring to bank blocks on the surface. Lava was also undeground.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for mentioning. Did it have the same blocky feel to it, though? Because I feel that's something strongly from Blockland, especially Blockland Retail, where the players are as blocky as the world.
willrandship wrote:

Freebuild has pretty lovely building features, but I'll be the first to admit that it is by no means bug free.

KermMartian wrote:
That's excellent! I've experimented with approximations where there are a bunch of different sky boxes for different times of day, and it switches between them occasionally, but obviously that's a very poor reproduction of a fluid day/night system.

This may be much easier in the new engine which I think has a higher degree of dynamic lighting.

KermMartian wrote:
Sounds to me like you should get Catgoesmoo to come say hello to us.

I've tried to do this, but she seems to be a creature of habit as far as forums are concerned.
Elfprince, what do you think about my thoughts on changing the brick point-and-place mechanic, or at least providing an alternate mechanism?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours