Well isn't this something: http://blog.radioshack.com/post/2011/05/19/RadioShack-And-The-DIY-Community-You-Talked-Were-Listening.aspx

Apparently RadioShack is thinking about catering a bit more to the electronics hobbyist again; what 3 products would you like to see RadioShack start selling?
I'm debating what I want to post there, if they'll even listen. There are a lot more than three things that I want; I would like them to return to having a full gamut of DIY stuff. Even if they were as overpriced as Sparkfun, I'd rather get stuff the same day for instant gratification and hack my projects together than have to wait a week or two from the internet.
Their prices aren't always bad. I got a sweet digital multimeter for like $30.
DShiznit wrote:
Their prices aren't always bad. I got a sweet digital multimeter for like $30.
Their equipment isn't always that overpriced, but their components are marked up pretty substantially.
KermMartian wrote:
Their equipment isn't always that overpriced, but their components are marked up pretty substantially.

Do they even stock equipment that isn't gold-plated?
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Do they even stock equipment that isn't gold-plated?

I don't think their resistors are gold-plated Razz

Also, http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190/
I agree that Radioshack has gone away from the DIY. But I love Radioshack because if you go there often enough they have some really great stuff on clearance every now and again. I agree with KermMartian on the instant gratification factor. I love having now rather than waiting 2 weeks for 1 little part to arrive.
ParkerR, but the problem is they have perhaps 1/10th of the components and pieces that they had in my youth for building cool things and learning to toy with electronics. If both Texas Instruments for programming and Radio Shack for their N-in-One kits hadn't existed, I'd most likely not be with you guys as an EE today.
KermMartian wrote:
ParkerR, but the problem is they have perhaps 1/10th of the components and pieces that they had in my youth for building cool things and learning to toy with electronics. If both Texas Instruments for programming and Radio Shack for their N-in-One kits hadn't existed, I'd most likely not be with you guys as an EE today.

Speaking of N-in-One kits, apparently the one I had growing up is considered "antique" Laughing: http://www.dantiques2.com/vpasp/shopexd.asp?ccode=46903
I had the exact same one! I got my 30-in-One first, then the 60-in-One, then the 130-in-One, which was my favorite, I think, then the 300-in-One.
Holy crap, my dad had something just like that! It's still in my room in my scrap bin if any of the components still work.
DShiznit wrote:
Holy crap, my dad had something just like that! It's still in my room in my scrap bin if any of the components still work.
If you still have the manual, you should try using it as it's intended before stripping it down for parts!
Well parts of it are already physically broken, but most of the relays, resistors, and capacitors should still work. I also have a newer one that should still be intact with a working breadboard. I also have a plastic box full of ICs around here somewhere...
DShiznit wrote:
Well parts of it are already physically broken, but most of the relays, resistors, and capacitors should still work. I also have a newer one that should still be intact with a working breadboard. I also have a plastic box full of ICs around here somewhere...
Sounds like you're talking about the 300-in-One, which was (to my knowledge) the only one with a breadboard.
I believe the new one is a 300-in-one, or an as-many-as-you-can-goddamn-imagine-in-one, seeing as it was pretty much an electronic sandbox. I used to have too much fun building bomb timers with it...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours