Ashbad wrote:
no, don't worry, I have plans, I'm just highly unable to use most of them at this point in the process Sad
What do you mean by that? Shock
I thought he meant that he doesn't have enough of a physics engine down to start doing actual story-line and such. Like, needing to be able to switch maps/rooms, having differently sized rooms, a beginning place, and ending place, etc. Though I might be wrong.
no, player, you're right on track Wink that's exactly what I meant.
Ashbad wrote:
no, player, you're right on track Wink that's exactly what I meant.
Ah, that makes sense. But I hope you've planned out your storyline, which you can certainly do without a full engine built!
I have a full storyline indeed Wink I'm actually not horrible with coming up with stuff like that, so I usually do that first. It's a bit less far fetch'd than the one in the first post, and it even has that [s]annoying bad-shot[/s] awesome sidekick Sullivan in it. Wink
Ashbad wrote:
I have a full storyline indeed Wink I'm actually not horrible with coming up with stuff like that, so I usually do that first. It's a bit less far fetch'd than the one in the first post, and it even has that [s]annoying bad-shot[/s] awesome sidekick Sullivan in it. Wink
Hehe, fair enough, and I'm glad to hear you did indeed do so. Besides my usual rant about people taking on projects outside their skill level and then getting frustrated when they get stuck, I've run into too many cases of people having to redo their programs/games over and over because they didn't plan far enough ahead. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
Hehe, fair enough, and I'm glad to hear you did indeed do so. Besides my usual rant about people taking on projects outside their skill level and then getting frustrated when they get stuck, I've run into too many cases of people having to redo their programs/games over and over because they didn't plan far enough ahead. Sad

I've learned the hard way with many projects that if I don't plan ahead, the project turns out horrible :/
I'm glad that you've learned that lesson, then. Smile So, what progress on this projcet?
Right now, the engine is 70% done, and i'm working on the enemy AI, which is surprisingly hard with this game x.x however, I am trudging along, at a decent speed.
Ouch, AI. I still do not get how to do it.
aeTIos wrote:

Same here. Very complex and confusing stuff.
aeTIos wrote:
For BASIC games, I just try to think how I would play as a human (ie, move towards blah objective, try to shoot at blah enemy, try to avoid bullets coming towards me, etc) and just code that up. I don't know how to express it more systematically than that. Smile
Yeah... I was more thinking of how to code that using BASIC...
Neutral
KermMartian wrote:
aeTIos wrote:
For BASIC games, I just try to think how I would play as a human (ie, move towards blah objective, try to shoot at blah enemy, try to avoid bullets coming towards me, etc) and just code that up. I don't know how to express it more systematically than that. Smile

For Uncharted TI, I'm thinking of how enemies would react if they were real life guard of something like a Royal Palace Smile of course, they would start out very wary, but over time would get bored and slack on the job. Then it's time for some boom bam shoot in the head pow.
Now that... would be complex. How would you symbolize them getting tired, and then how would you measure alertness, because don't forget, once you get the first guard and other guards see it, they have to become alert again.
This is for the TI-83+/84+, correct?
yep Smile once you work with AI a few times, it isn't as bad. The most complex parts are actually detecting you in a line of direct sight and the such.
Yeah, how (in BASIC) would you make a character go away after you kill him? That's always got me. The thing is there, you shoot it, it goes away...
in other words, if I have two enemies running around and I kill one, how can I make it go away and keeping the other guy there. I'm not sure how to explain this...
well, what I do to conserve space if it the guy dies, set his X position to nil (0) and since living guys NEED an X position >0, he won't be rendered in the loop.
so just permanently set the X and Y coordinates for the guy as zero? Won't that give you an "err: DOMAIN"?
It’s being done in Axe Wink in Axe, the X and Y locations don’t throw errors for that, since X and Y are actual values in SaveSScreen that correspond to 16 bit values. Though, I’m not even using the X and Y pointers – I’m using a more sophisticated simple ‘object stack’ idea, where I allocate memory (16 bytes per enemy) that will hold the stats of each enemy. The limit of the object stack is 4 objects, or 64 bytes, and the stack starts on {L1+156} and ends on {L1+220}, inclusive. To access each enemy’s stats, I have a looping optimized ‘For statement’ (though, in reality, it uses the decrementive While loop optimization for ‘each’ loops), and store the current location as (A*16+L1+156) -> B so I can do stuff like access the player’s Xvelocity by simply doing {B+4}(^r) in the loop Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours