Kerm, how feasible would it be to take this and Clove 2 (but adding mouse/arrow key functions for Clove and making it 2-glove) and turn it into a portable gaming system?

From what I've found on a few sites so far, it would cost upwards of $1,000 to make something like that (with the equipment you specified). If slightly cheaper components could be used (while keeping the ability to play games like UT2004 or FarCry or something), this might even be marketable as your own, "KermMartian Gaming Platform". Razz
Unfortunately, the netbook that I used is in no way capable of running Unreal Tournament. I hooked the HUD up to my quadcore desktop and had fun playing games in 3D, but the netbook isn't powerful enough for that. I did indeed test this out with Clove 2 (I mention that somewhere in the 150 pages of my written thesis) and found it to be fun, although Clove 2 in its current form is poorly-optimized for gaming. Actually, my headset has some particularly helpful features for gaming, especially head-tracking, which means you can look around in the game by looking around IRL. Combine that with WASD and primary/alternate fire on your gloves, and you have a fun gaming platform. With that said, gaming on a 3D headset is not quite as fun as you might imagine. The FOV is quite limited compared to real vision, and existing devices are either low-resolution or insanely expensive.
Kerm, congrats. BTW, a thesis scouter would be LIFE SAVER. Man, never have to make a thesis again.... gives you chills just thinking about it. Facial recognition eh? I love that stuff. I always dreamed as a kid of making a robot that could do that. Ya know, recognize and think for it self, like C3PO, or something. Took all that brain power to make one Kerm? Sounds like something I should wait to do until I at least am in college. Mayhap longer... Very Happy Cool stuff though. Really.
adept wrote:
Man, never have to make a thesis again.... gives you chills just thinking about it.

What gives him the chills is the dissertation he's going to have to write Razz
UltDev: 0x5!

Thesis statements are the weakest parts of the papers I write. I SUCK at them. I can never defend Napolean very well, or argue about what a character in a book I read was feeling. Those are stupid prompts IMO.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
adept wrote:
Man, never have to make a thesis again.... gives you chills just thinking about it.

What gives him the chills is the dissertation he's going to have to write Razz
Yup, I'm planning on writing a relatively beast thesis. Don't know what it will be about yet, of course. Smile
Kerm, have you seen this? http://www.i-programmer.info/news/105-artificial-intelligence/2310-predator-better-than-kinect.html

[edit]

See also: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/Z.Kalal/tld.html
I had not seen that project, thanks for sharing. I'll be interested in reading deeper into how it works.
I thought you'd find that pretty interesting!
elfprince13 wrote:
And I did indeed. Did you see the Scouter-related news article that I posted on my Facebook the other day?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/15/brazilian-police-live-out-robocop-fantasies-test-glasses-that-s/
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
And I did indeed. Did you see the Scouter-related news article that I posted on my Facebook the other day?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/15/brazilian-police-live-out-robocop-fantasies-test-glasses-that-s/

holy.... you could make millions off of this Kerm O_o

try to get your scouter mass produced Very Happy
Well, the technology really isn't there yet. Sad You can recognize faces with some accuracy, but you can't reliably pick one or several IDs from among groups of thousands of faces without massive numbers of false positives.
Wow, Kerm, this is amazing! I haven't heard of something like this before -- and it sounds really awesome! You're in your 20's and you've accomplished 10x more than 35 year old programmers in my 'hood! Bravo, Kerm, a person like you is going places.
That is very good Kerm. Great job!
Ashbad wrote:
Wow, Kerm, this is amazing! I haven't heard of something like this before -- and it sounds really awesome! You're in your 20's and you've accomplished 10x more than 35 year old programmers in my 'hood! Bravo, Kerm, a person like you is going places.
Thanks Ashbad, thanks Basicman. Smile I try to be driven and motivated about cool things that I care about, and thus far it seems to be paying off.
I had an idea to grow Scouter but I'll lead into that at the end of the paragraph. After a year and a half, is Scouter still seeing updates? Do you wish to continue working on Scouter and evolving it to more than a web cam on eyeglasses? Perhaps a build to log users in via their face (much like the fingerprint scanning on some laptops) or for other randomly interesting concepts?

I watched a TV show that said, and demonstrated, the face is compromised of the golden ratio. The width of the eyes to the width of the nose across the bridge, the length of the face to the height of the forehead, and other details. If given a clear enough photo - or video - would Scouter be able to pick up on certain facial details and calculate how close to the Golden Ratio each face is.

I came up with the idea because in the video the scientist had to manually select points on each face for the program to pick up on, I think it'd be neat to do something similar with a live feed, but at the very least a program capable of doing the work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours