Over the past several weeks, the GMods and Administrators of Cemetech have been working together to build a spiffy new theme for Cemetech, called "Cemetech Retro". It hearkens back to the early days of Cemetech, when cool DHTML / Javascript tricks and bold color schemes reined. This particular iteration of the Cemetech style builds on Cemetech6's clean and easy-to-use layout, adding more color and contrast for a more appealing, more vibrant site. We've also changed the font styling to present a more youthful and laid-back feel to members, also a nod to Cemetech's early years. For now, Cemetech Retro has been set as the default theme for all user accounts; once we finish working out all the kinks, and accept the users' suggestions as to how we can make it even more appealing, we will be figuring out how to keep it side-by-side with Cemetech6 for users who still want the old, blander, more formal site style.

Enjoy Cemetech Retro, and many thanks again to Jonimus, ComicIDIOT, Merthsoft, Tanner, TIFreak8x, and the others who have contributed their invaluable HTML talents and brainstorming towards this Cemetech refresh!

Edit: And yes, I know that it's April 1st; it's an unfortunate coincidence, but I assure you no less real.

Edit #2: Happy April Fools! Smile The April Fools 2011 theme, CemetechRetro, is now available as an alternative for Cemetech for the sake of posterity. You can use it via the Edit Profile link at the top of the left sidebar.

Oh wow, this theme looks really cool!
souvik1997 wrote:
Oh wow, this theme looks really cool!
Thanks Souvik! I still need to fix the maroon that remains to look a bit less ugly, but we're quite proud of it.
I think my eyes just imploded from all the neon stimuli. O_O
Zera wrote:
Awesome, that's what we were going for! A more vibrant, bold, exciting look.
Hey, you didn't go with the old mouse you used for the older versions of cemetech. You know the one that would only actually change in IE so you most likely forgot about. Razz
This is exactly what I was pushing for. Good work, this'll be a nice standard for the rest of the web.
TheStorm wrote:
Hey, you didn't go with the old mouse you used for the older versions of cemetech. You know the one that would only actually change in IE so you most likely forgot about. Razz
Funny you should mention that; I was actually considering using that, but I felt that a TI-84+SE cursor would be a bit more relatable for our newer members. You already know you're at Cemetech; no need to saturate you with red and logos to drive home the point. And since the new, cleaner look omits the calculator in the header, it seems like a good idea to make sure it's still clear that we're a calculator-focused site.

Edit: Shaun, thanks! I couldn't have done it without your great work and inspiration and pushing for certain features.

Edit #2: Thanks for the great bug reports, guys, fixing stuff as you report it. Keep 'em coming!
KermMartian wrote:
Zera wrote:
Awesome, that's what we were going for! A more vibrant, bold, exciting look.
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
Thanks Alex! I appreciate your keen artistic eye in designing this new theme for Cemetech. Also, people may have noticed that I'm making progress towards switching out the maroon bars with proper green ones.
Yup, I'm glad to say. C6M will be making the switch soon as well.
Needz moar flashing and scrolling marquees
Travis wrote:
Needz moar flashing and scrolling marquees
I think there's a fine line between "Retro" and "MS Frontpage n00b"; I think we're safely on the Retro side for now, but I don't want to get too close to that line. Smile
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040909112041/http://www.geocities.com/elfprince13/
elfprince13 wrote:
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040909112041/http://www.geocities.com/elfprince13/
I'd like to claim that that was one of our inspirations for the original Cemetech themes that this is based on, but sadly, that would be a lie. Sad
Well, if we're sharing:
http://merthsoft.0catch.com/
Cemetech6Mobile has been successfully changed to support our advancement into bringing back the best of the olden HTML days!

Shaun, another green-on-black personal homepage from back in the day! This is getting uncanny! Smile

ComicIDIOT, that looks amazing, I can't wait to use that on my phone!
KermMartian wrote:
Shaun, another green-on-black personal homepage from back in the day! This is getting uncanny! Smile
tifreak8x was a direct inspiration, don't forget.
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x was a direct inspiration, don't forget.
Haha, definitely! And we have raised the bar with the awesome calculator-themed cursor and the cool Comic Sans font, I think. Wink At least we can start some friendly competition.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours