Would it be possible to be able to make custom colors for your spraycan on a server and use them? I know in retail, you can make custom colors for your player's accessories (Hat / Clothing / Skin).
If I correctly understand the way LDraw bricks are textured and the way textures will be implemented in FreeBuild, then yes, what you suggest would certainly be possible. What I wonder is whether or not I can port over my material paint textures(wood, metal, grass, ice, etc.) and whether I'd need separate textures for each part(top, sides, bottom) or if the whole thing can be skinned from one texture. Then again I did some cool things with separate part textures(grass on top, dirt on sides and bottoms) so that method has it's advantages as well.
N wrote:
Would it be possible to be able to make custom colors for your spraycan on a server and use them? I know in retail, you can make custom colors for your player's accessories (Hat / Clothing / Skin).

It's always good to know the information I post about development is being read Rolling Eyes
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142837#142837

Quote:
What I wonder is whether or not I can port over my material paint textures(wood, metal, grass, ice, etc.) and whether I'd need separate textures for each part(top, sides, bottom) or if the whole thing can be skinned from one texture. Then again I did some cool things with separate part textures(grass on top, dirt on sides and bottoms) so that method has it's advantages as well.

This is not the LDraw way. While I could add the ability to read an image file from a custom material definition, these wouldn't appear in most other modeling programs, and having a large number of custom texturing images would counteract the performance gains I should be able to make based on the plan described here. You could construct your own dirt brick models from a few quads with speckling (see again the color/material link I posted from the LDraw site earlier in this post) and appropriate choice of color.
So that's a no on my custom materials? That's a shame, they were pretty cool for creating environmental objects around builds.
DShiznit wrote:
So that's a no on my custom materials? That's a shame, they were pretty cool for creating environmental objects around builds.

You mean for bricks, right? I'm not saying no, so much as arbitrary texturing of bricks in the most straightforward way will be a performance hit, and not interoperate well with other LDraw software; and that there are ways of achieving similar effects that you should experiment with that would be better in this case.
Another problem I can think of is that the custom texturing might probably be visible only to one of the clients unless the server also had the custom textures?
KermMartian wrote:
Another problem I can think of is that the custom texturing might probably be visible only to one of the clients unless the server also had the custom textures?

It would have to be done through the caching mechanism, but from my perspective, it makes life much less pleasant from the performance optimization end of things.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours