I'm trying to create, or at the very least modify, a browser to hav e CSS1 support. Not CSS2 & CSS3, just CSS1. Why? Well, my call for such a browser or method in a current browser has gone (potentially) unread.

What I'm wanting to do, is strip Chromium of it's current CSS support and add in what KermM's phone supports, which I believe is CSS1. It'd be cheaper than buying a cheap pre-paid phone to test a website on, but it's still an option.

So, anyone familiar with building/modifying Chromium source can point me to where the CSS location is at? I've got the tarball downloaded and am looking at it now, the documentation seems to be pretty sparse for an open source project.

Lastly, anyone know where I can find the code or documentation to implement CSS1?

:Update: I've managed to find the CSS location thanks to Google Code Search. I was looking under WebKit, just under the wrong directories. Now, to alter CSS support would it be as easy as finding an older version of CSS and replacing the directory I've found?

I'm currently looking under third_party and will try native_client next.
Did you just quote yourself?
allynfolksjr wrote:

Yeah, and then he didn't say anything. Strange.
comicIDIOT, I wouldn't be surprised if there are configuration flags somewhere to turns CSS2 and CSS3 on and off. In fact, lemme look in Firefox's about:config... Unfortunately, no flags there about how much CSS to support.
I'll keep looking around. Finding a client to preview how you'd see it would speed up the development a lot, so I don't have to wonder if it worked or not, and if not how does it look? I'll keep digging.

graphmastur wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

Yeah, and then he didn't say anything. Strange.
I wanted to edit my post but I guess I ended up quoting myself. Fixed.
Your approach won't work for a couple of reasons.

1) CSS 1, 2, and 3 aren't concepts that browser's really understand. It's all just CSS, it isn't segmented.

2) What you actually want is to simulate Kerm's phone, which is going to have it's own quirks and partial features. For example, it might not support all of CSS1, or it might have partial support of CSS2, or it might just have some bugs.

3) You could always just remove all your CSS2 stuff and see what happens.
ComicMAN, as long as the gray backgrounds would reappear, I would be perfectly happy. If you're trying to track down the session problem, I'm pretty sure that's a separate issue.
I'll keep working on the gray backgrounds, it's just a matter of putting anything with links on a maroon background inside another div then applying a style based on that since your phone won't even understand ".menu a:link" since I'm applying a style to the <a> tag inside the menu div. So instead I change the appearance of the div Razz

I'll let you figure out the session issue, it's so far happened twice for two users on two separate devices.

Kllrnohj wrote:

1) CSS 1, 2, and 3 aren't concepts that browser's really understand. It's all just CSS, it isn't segmented.
Which is why I wanted to remove the CSS that was scripted into Chrome and substitute only the CSS1 properties. Unless you're implying that won't work.
ComicIDIOT, what if we just convert the CSS ladders into non-ladder structures? If you want, I'll do that myself and see how bad it gets.
KermMartian wrote:
ComicIDIOT, what if we just convert the CSS ladders into non-ladder structures? If you want, I'll do that myself and see how bad it gets.
We can definitely to it together. I was trying to piece together a browser so I can do it and not hound you to know if it looks better or if I broke anything else in the style :/
comicIDIOT wrote:
Which is why I wanted to remove the CSS that was scripted into Chrome and substitute only the CSS1 properties. Unless you're implying that won't work.

You want to do what now?

If you want to remove support from a modern version of Chrome, it is going to take a *LOT* of work. It is not as simple as deleting files and/or chunks of code. It is *FAR* easier to simply *STOP USING CSS2 IN YOUR CODE*. If you want to see your page without CSS2, remove the fucking css2 in your code.

And again, even if you do it, it won't accomplish what you are after anyway. You are going down the completely wrong path.

If you are trying to do everything with a single version, you are going to fail. You need to develop multiple versions of your site. One for super crappy mobile browsers like Kerm's phone, one for the current generation of smartphone (android, iphone, etc...), and one for desktop.
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142169#142169

I should have since posted that this topic is no longer valid or of importance.
Kllrnohj wrote:

2) What you actually want is to simulate Kerm's phone, which is going to have it's own quirks and partial features. For example, it might not support all of CSS1, or it might have partial support of CSS2, or it might just have some bugs.

3) You could always just remove all your CSS2 stuff and see what happens.

The information is very interesting. It made me understand something, and it is that I never knew before.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours