Most current update:

Hey guys, I'm porting this famous platformer to the TI-84. (Axe)

So far, I've got the tilemapper down and have inputted all the tiles.

It runs in 3-mode greyscale. (Also it's not as jittery as the screenshot suggests, WabbitEMU has some problems with greyscale)

I'm going to be putting in the physics engine soon once I get all the sprites in.
That looks great, even for three-level grayscale. Very nice work so far, and I can't wait to see more progress!
That's something of an odd title for a game, considering the obvious related double-entendre, but fair enough. As Souvik said, I think the tiles look great, and your scrolling is nice and smooth. I was going to express my concern for the flickering of the display, but you already covered that. What is the gameplay like?
Yes, I note the double-entendre Razz
Anyways, it's a medium-difficult platformer with a couple of twists. If you google it you should find it.
leafiness0 wrote:
Yes, I note the double-entendre Razz
Anyways, it's a medium-difficult platformer with a couple of twists. If you google it you should find it.
Indeed, now I have seen it. What's your implementation progression plan? What will you start with?
I'm starting with finishing up the tiles, then mapping out the entire map, which should keep me busy for a while.
Then I'll figure out what kind of data structure I'll store it in and then work on getting the platforming engine in.
Great, best of luck with this; sounds like a fairly significant undertaking. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress as you go.
I'm starting mapping from the bottom up. I've confirmed all the tiles have been inputted, and here's a quick screenshot:

Platforming engine completed ahead of time:

That looks amazing, leafiness0! I guess Axe makes writing platforming physics extremely easy, eh? Are you doing tilemap-based or pixel-based collision detection? I wish I could test this on a real calculator so I could see what the grayscale looks like without that annoying flicker.
Well, axe makes it easier than asm.
It's tilemap-based detection, since I have walkthrough tiles as well as solid tiles.

How do you upload files on this forum anyways?
http://www.filedropper.com/jilloff
You upload completed programs and beta version to the archives. You can't attach files to posts, which is why the backup of this full site is around 1GB instead of Omnimaga's 2.7GB. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
That looks amazing, leafiness0! I guess Axe makes writing platforming physics extremely easy, eh? Are you doing tilemap-based or pixel-based collision detection?

I wouldn't say extremely easy, but you save all of that time spent debugging ASM code Razz
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
That looks amazing, leafiness0! I guess Axe makes writing platforming physics extremely easy, eh? Are you doing tilemap-based or pixel-based collision detection?

I wouldn't say extremely easy, but you save all of that time spent debugging ASM code Razz
I say extremely easy because it seems everyone and their grandmother is churning out platformers or side-scrollers in Axe. Smile
Well actually I could only make it this quickly because I've spent a ton of time figuring out how to make 2 other platformers.
Maybe I should learn axe after doing some things in TI-Basic.
DShiznit wrote:
Maybe I should learn axe after doing some things in TI-Basic.
Eh, I'd recommend Hybrid BASIC and then ASM, personally.
I've fixed up the physics engine to be more accurate to the real game and mapped about 1/10 at this point.
leafiness0 wrote:
I've fixed up the physics engine to be more accurate to the real game and mapped about 1/10 at this point.
You mean you've created about 10% of the actual level maps from your tilemap pieces? Great job! What was inaccurate about the physics?
Before, jumping was just straight jumping, I had to modify it to accelerate into the jump like in the real game otherwise some platforming was impossible.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours