The player assumes the role of a would-be adventurer named Granz as he sets out on a journey to explore the world, just like his father before him. Granz quickly becomes immersed in the affairs of characters he encounters along the way, eventually leading him on a quest to uncover the world's greatest secret.
Are those sprites ripped? or di you draw them? o.O
Ripped. It's from Rolan's Quest II and... something else.

Rolan's Quest was a relatively unknown (and frankly, bad) GB game. I figure the sprites deserve more attention than they received. Razz
Well actually I am interested in the storyline. (I'm assuming that you will have one? Razz) And will there be classes to choose from or is it like Final Fantasy where the characters occupations have already been sort of predetermined?
It's not going to be a "choose-you-own-character" adventure. Each of the characters assumes their own class, which only applies light restrictions. (which items can be equipped)

The story is sorely undeveloped at the moment. It's initially about a coup against an evil ruler, which turns into a struggle to understand the nature of existence itself. The conclusion of the game breaks the fourth wall and gives the characters awareness of the fact that they're just part of a video game. They can choose to symbolically destroy the core of the game's operations and end the illusion of their existence, or just learn to live with the nature of what they are.
That looks quite nice. This would definitively fit well on the TI-86 and Casio FX-9860G models.
It's actually for the Casio model. I'm so infatuated with it. I'm going to try to take some time to actually study a language and see if I can't produce a game by myself. At the moment, I don't even understand what sort of limitations each language would have, or what that limits me to in terms of getting this particular project developed. I should probably look at some general resources to understand the pros and cons of BASIC, ASM, etc.
I came up with an early overworld map. Bearing in mind, all the maps will be an even 16x16. I also plan to develop an underworld area of sorts.

The player will eventually be able to procure an airship to reach certain overseas destinations. (there won't be any sea-faring vessels)
I'm just slightly confused. You're considering whether or not you want to program this game using assembly? So this screenie is a concept drawing, right? Personally, I love the idea, so I'm upset that this won't be on the TI-86. As for fitting more than two characters on the screen, your best bet might be to give the player the ability to scroll up and down through the characters. Also, grass doesn't need to be distracting; a few scattered pixels constitutes grass, dirt, sand, etc. See how it looks when you invert the screen colors.
Progbeard wrote:
You're considering whether or not you want to program this game using assembly?

I don't know what the Casio calculator supports. If it does something similar to BASIC + xLib, that might suffice for a game of this scale.

Quote:
So this screenie is a concept drawing, right?

Yes. Just mock-ups at the moment. I have a tendency to create all the assets, maps, design documentation, etc. far in advance of everything else.

Quote:
Personally, I love the idea, so I'm upset that this won't be on the TI-86.

Maybe it could be ported... assuming I finish it. I could throw all the source code, assets and design documentation in with the completed game so other people could rewrite it, port it or just use the assets for other projects.
You are truly a great graphics guy, Zera. I never fail to be impressed by your screenshots and mockups.
Thanks; although, they're just sprite rips.

A few early mock-ups. Still hashing out a lot of details.

I'm borrowing a lot of ideas from Escheron, with how I've arranged fonts and menus.
I think it makes sense, given how successful the look-and-feel of the Escheron menus has been. Out of curiosity, what calculator is this aimed at, the Casio FG9860 series? The TI-86 with its wide screen?
Casio.

I've been working on some ideas with inventories.

Magic is treated as its own inventory, which is shared between both players. You purchase tomes of magic from shops, which stocks a single casting of that particular spell. Casting spells is basically like using items. You'll eventually run out and need to purchase them again. You can stock 7 different spells at a time. Although there are many other spells in the game to choose from, you would have to discard existing ones in your inventory to make room for them.

Some spells will have multiple levels. In that case, you have to "refine" lower-level spells to make tomes of of the higher-level spells. For instance: Two "PROTECT" spells would become one "PROTERA" spell. This is done at certain magic shops.
Time for some magic in animation...

I had to re-arrange some sprites to make all the animation sequences work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours