there are cables frome the i/o to usb, mabe it is then not as complicated. and why is there limited space for DCS?
FlashApps are organized in pages of 16 KB, and DCS is already very close to 3 pages - AFAICT, Kerm would rather not have to grow it to 4 pages Smile
Sorunome wrote:
there are cables frome the i/o to usb, mabe it is then not as complicated. and why is there limited space for DCS?
You're talking about the SilverLink, right? Unfortunately, it only speaks the TI linking protocol, not CALCnet. Actually, the Arduino or USBHID Bridge ("$10 Bridge") is just like a SilverLink, except that it speaks CALCnet instead of the TI link protocol. There's limited space for Doors CS because Apps can only be in increments of 16KB. You can have a 16KB App, a 32KB App, a 48KB App, a 64KB App, etc. Doors CS is at 48KB, with about 300 bytes free, and I don't want it to become a four-page (64KB) App.

Edit: Ninja'd by Lionel.
oh, thatnks! mabe it can become a 64kb one if you have a LOT of new ideas and futures! Very Happy
I say let's go to four pages.
Sorunome wrote:
oh, thatnks! mabe it can become a 64kb one if you have a LOT of new ideas and futures! Very Happy
Maybe, but considering how many people yelled and gnashed their teeth when it went to two pages, and then to three pages, I don't want to deal with the backlash from moving to four pages. Plus, it would then be four times as large as MirageOS, and people in the world as a whole tend to not understand that Doors CS' bigger size carries with it a wealth of better features, stability, etc.
oh, i see. why can't you just programm a os with 3.5 pages?
Sorunome wrote:
oh, i see. why can't you just programm a os with 3.5 pages?
The TI-OS doesn't allow Apps to be anything other than multiples of exactly one page. If you have three full pages and 1 byte on a fourth page, it's a 4-page App.
i see
Would it be possible to hook another App in. What I mean is, could you have all the gCn stuff in one app that is separate from DCS, but it still all behaves nicely?
merthsoft wrote:
Would it be possible to hook another App in. What I mean is, could you have all the gCn stuff in one app that is separate from DCS, but it still all behaves nicely?
It would indeed, but I'm not planning on doing that. I don't want people to have to have an extra program to use the USB features of CALCnet unless it becomes absolutely necessary.
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
It would indeed, but I'm not planning on doing that. I don't want people to have to have an extra program to use the USB features of CALCnet unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

It seems like it might be that or assemble an optional 4th page for 84+ users who aren't going to even notice an extra 16Kb.
Could you do one of these scorched earth games with the terrain drawn across multiple screens like netpong, so a shot fired from one screen hits a target on another?
But then it would be almost impossible to aim. :/
It would be cool if the terrain were longer, and you could scroll to see, and then the camera would follow the bullet. That would be pretty involved, though.
DShiznit, the concern would be if the people playing were not all in the same place, as Souvik said. If I was a thousand miles away from you playing over global CALCnet, how could I aim? Smile And as merth says, a scrolling screen could work, but would be very challenging.
Indeed, perhaps for those who want the extra USB features, but I'd really rather not fragment into different versions.
KermMartian wrote:
Sorunome wrote:
oh, cool! Very Happy
Thanks. The only problem is that the on-calc code is very difficult, and I have very little free space in Doors CS to work with, so I have been dragging my feet about actually working on it. Sad

GET TO IT. My gosh, Kerm. You act like you have actual things to do Rolling Eyes

On topic: Nice job on the slashdot and other features, and I can't wait for Obliterate Very Happy
Sorry _player, I should totally blow off my research, classes, and teaching and work on Direct USB instead. And cheers for the kudos and the anticipation.
KermMartian wrote:
Sorry _player, I should totally blow off my research, classes, and teaching and work on Direct USB instead. And cheers for the kudos and the anticipation.

Yeah, you should, you are our personal programmer, no matter what your silly infoline says Razz

err, that bit of sarcasm behind, good luck with USB gCn work, take as long as you need (I think it is better you stay in college then work on something that does not impact your future THAT heavily Razz), and as I have state before, if you need someone with a USB cable for testing stuff, be sure to call tanner, me Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours