So, TAO: Unleashed needs a main menu? And since I fail at making anything larger than 1x1, I'm asking YOU to help me out! Best one wins their username/name in the game.

Okay, so the basic idea is it has to have 3 things:
1) The name in it.  Creative, but readable.  TAO is a lot bigger than unleashed.
2) Room for me to have 3 options "Play", "Credits", and "Exit".  There will be a sword about 8 (length) x 5 (height) pointing to each of the Play/Credits/Exit options (Now known as PCE for simplicity).  So, anything like that would work.  If you want to try your hand at the sword, be my guest.
3) It's gotta be very interesting.  The idea is "beasts" unleashed.  It also has the connotation of being Light vs. Dark.  So, anything with that is nice.

I'm looking for monochrome, but if you can give me 3 lvl grayscale, I'll accept that as well.

Thank you, and good luck!

EDIT: Also, full TI-83/84 screen is the size that needs to be made.
I just went with the whole "Light vs Dark" theme. It's quite simple. Either way, I like it Smile (You could, of course, have creatures around the screen, since it leaves so much space Very Happy)

Edit: For the record, I accidentally saved over the original, so this isn't the one that Graph was commenting on. The original had smaller text for TAO, the same size as the UNLEASHED.
It looks interesting, except the TAO is kinda hard to read. Maybe make it bigger? And also, since this is in asm, and I don't want to change the screen for Play/credits/exit, could you do the little sword thing?

And you're right, there is a bunch of space.
Yup, I can make TAO larger, I'll do that after breakfast. I also thought that you could have it be left/right in the center to show different options. Either way, I'll make a sword sprite too.

Edit: Here are some more takes on the earlier one. You would press a key (left/right?) and it would grow/shrink the arrows to fit the new words and then display them Smile (Including the new Play option with it)

But see, those would all require changing the picture, instead of just moving a sprite or something, and I don't want to really do that.
graphmastur wrote:
But see, those would all require changing the picture, instead of just moving a sprite or something, and I don't want to really do that.

Want the code for that?

Fast Crash can tell you how he made that Very Happy
I wouldn't mind doing the main menu code Sad You could even just change that one sprite from one to the other, smooth transitions might look better though. It could be done with the arrow sprites moving and using the XOR line from MOS to draw between the arrows. Then when the arrows are in the right place it would place the text correctly.
_player1537 wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing the main menu code Sad You could even just change that one sprite from one to the other, smooth transitions might look better though. It could be done with the arrow sprites moving and using the XOR line from MOS to draw between the arrows. Then when the arrows are in the right place it would place the text correctly.

I'd love to see a smooth animation with the keys and scrolling text, it'd make it an awesome menu!
If you show me how to scroll it in ASM, I guess that'd be okay. Btw, the TAO looks better now. Anyway you could fill a little of the space up? It just seems kinda empty, ya know?
I like the minimalism.
I have a few ideas, but I like what's _player has been coming up with in terms of minimalism, as Shaun said.
Yeah, I'm looking for something more awesome like, ya know. I like that it's simple, and be awesome for another game, but I don't think it's quite right for this one.
Well, do you have any concept art or doodles or even reference art that might guide people in the right direction, then?
*bump*

Do you have artwork? Very Happy
I have what builderboy did, which I like. I actually implemented it in the app. (No movement of the arrow keys as of yet)

That looks cool!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours