As time goes by, it seems anything could change. And it has - tons of development has occurred! Smile
From Axe Parser to particle simulation games to calculator networking, possibilities seem endless!

However, a previous project that has not taken off yet is now in hiatus. That project would be C2I.

C2I, as you may have guessed, stands for Calculator 2 Internet, and is a project to obvious connect a calculator to the Internet.

Since CN2.2's creation, C2I's role in creating the link from calculator to internet has gradually been diminishing. gCn v1.0's release truly made C2I feel irrelevant, since there's already a framework to build on. Quite a few nice games have been created with CN/gCn. With KermM's development to make gCn (and CN) available via USB, C2I's future is unknown... which is why I've posted this topic.

gCn and C2I are fundamentally different - gCn links the calculator to a virtual server hub via a client emulating a hub (with internet, of course), in which people can engage in multiplayer gaming or chat/IRC from there. (I'm not too sure how hub selection works, or if you can connect to a specific calc on the internet.)

C2I, on the other hand, had plans to be a bit more direct - basically, the client itself can do local connections, i.e. directly connect to IRC, the web, etc. However, it's not too far from what gCn aims to accomplish, and the methods of doing it. The only significant difference is that you can grab HTTP URLs in the calc, as well as manage sockets. (You're a bit more "direct" with connecting, so to speak.)

C2I was more or less envisioned to be kind and user friendly to the average user - it would have an app store, Facebook/Twitter access, a browser, etc. But with a browser planned and more for gCn, it seems to be very redundant in making it.

I have absolutely no idea where to go with this project. On one side, I see the missing bits of gCn and the design, and want to fill in the gaps with C2I. On the other hand, it's likely that gCn will progress (both calc and client side) to fill in the holes, which will make C2I eventually deprecated. Also, it's unknown whether people want to even use C2I at all in their projects, and if gCn could already do what was planned for C2I.

This is the original feature/implementation list of C2I:
C2I Features/Implementation List wrote:
Framework/Implementation
Core:
= C2I works with any cable that connects the calc to the computer
= 2nd or 3rd level connection (calc s/r raw data <-> client s/r raw data <-> Internet; OR calc s/r action calls <-> client s/r calls <-> client or its plugin parse/s/r/ raw data <-> Internet)
= 3 parts: calculator, client, network/internet
= LAN connection and interaction via client
= Internal social core, with friend lists and groups, as well as "calc rooms"
= Distributed as an application - is executable with settings, social core, etc., and acts as a library too for programs
= Also can be bundled in as a program via source/binary inclusion
Calculator:
= Graphical, user friendly center with access to settings, social core, etc.
= Request connections to server, send/recv. data, invites, etc.
= Internal settings for server selection, username change, etc.
= Integrated connection manager - dialog shows if connection is lost to the internet
= Application or program distribution
= Can either indirectly indirectly or indirectly handle data (see above connection text diagram for reference)
= Sync settings with client
Client:
= At its heart, CLI only, but due to the needed user input sometimes, robust GUI will be included
= Manages the connections to the server, data x-fer between calc and internet, etc.
= Handles sockets, HTTP requests, etc. as needed by the calc program
= Plugin support - plugins for handling "special" data (and sending them too) - basically pre-processing data if the calc can't handle it, and sending new data back into the calc.
= Handles any LAN connections and can manage a mini server
= Calc settings are changable - syncs settings with calc
Server:
= Manages connections and users
= PHP based for easy handling and access (some places only allow outbound port 80), but faster, direct IRC like handling is also available via a different port
= Data storage via MySQL and data files
= Storage of files as necessary (if program needs them)
= Maintains any online worlds or battle comm.
= Plugins can be written to accommodate "special" cases, such as distribution of an online world, handling battles, etc. (this is not necessary to have an online world - again, "special" cases)
= Online repository (optional), any language works as long as it implements the spec!

Developer/User Access and Features
Developers/API:
= Send/Recv, either when wanted or via interrupt
= Choose different servers to connect to if the default isn't used
= Can ask C2I to present an interface to connect to internet, choose person to play against, choose group, etc.
= Store/get user data either on the computer or online (in the user data)
= Store/get regular data on computer or online
= Create invites/requests to send to other people to battle, chat, etc.
= Perform HTTP GET/POST requests
= Some preliminary, basic socket handling
= Others???
== Some applications of API:
=== Online virtual world - fetching tiles from online asynchronously or not
=== Social integration - leaderboards, chat, FB/Twitter posts, etc.
=== Individual and group "battles", with invitation sending
=== CalcSVN - storage (and backup) of code online (programs, appvars, etc.)
Users:
= Browse the web
= Access and update your Facebook or Twitter
= Chat on IRC
= Game "achievements" - with online leaderboard, and posting to Facebook/Twitter
= App Store (name subject to change) - easy to use place to get other apps and programs. Not restricted like Apple's, and supports dependency linking (??), updates, and multiple repositories (the main ticalc.org repo, Cemetech repo, Omnimaga repo, etc.)
= Online and multiplayer gaming

You can tell that it looks more fun on the user side of things, eh? Razz
With a fun developer gone (or is he? Wink), I will need significant help on the calc (and partial client dev help) to complete this project... if there's even a reason to continue.

The question to you guys is this: should I continue on to develop the API, etc. of C2I? Or is C2I just redundant? Would you guys ever use it? If so, what for and why? Are there other things you would look for in either gCn or C2I?

(Cross post from http://ourl.ca/9167/173279, but still carries the same meaning here: what do YOU think?)
I think this is an awesome idea!
allynfolksjr wrote:
You're going to implement MySQL on a z80 CPU?

Wow.

<Just to be a troll against a troll>
Yes, that's why it's under the server heading
</Just to be a troll against a troll>

Anyway...

EDIT: lol, nikky @ edit.
Albert, you have a few mistaken assumptions about how global CALCnet works and what its goals are, but for the sake of the points you're trying to make, I won't nitpick for now. I also hear your criticisms about gCn and CALCnet, and although some are undermined by the incorrect assumptions, some are valid, and many are already addressed by brainstorming about future features that has been underway for quite some time. You're welcome to continue your C2I project, assuming you can find people who have the skills to pull off all the different components (no mean feat, I can certainly assure you), but it's up to you to decide whether it's worth your time to try to play catch-up. If you do, I only ask that you not fall into what seems to be a common problem among users coming from other sites, and use tenses correctly. "My project can blah" means that right now, your project can do blah. "My project will blah" means that you plan to make it do blah.
allynfolksjr wrote:
I think this is an awesome idea!

Glad you think that way. Razz

graphmastur wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
You're going to implement MySQL on a z80 CPU?

Wow.

<Just to be a troll against a troll>
Yes, that's why it's under the server heading
</Just to be a troll against a troll>

Anyway...

EDIT: 0x5, nikky @ edit.
lol at both of you Wink

KermMartian wrote:
Albert, you have a few mistaken assumptions about how global CALCnet works and what its goals are, but for the sake of the points you're trying to make, I won't nitpick for now. I also hear your criticisms about gCn and CALCnet, and although some are undermined by the incorrect assumptions, some are valid, and many are already addressed by brainstorming about future features that has been underway for quite some time. You're welcome to continue your C2I project, assuming you can find people who have the skills to pull off all the different components (no mean feat, I can certainly assure you), but it's up to you to decide whether it's worth your time to try to play catch-up.

I certainly hope it isn't too bad; from at least my perspective, it is just implementing the base communication between calc and computer, then building the API and others from there. But it will be hard work - something I won't be able to do until this summer.

As for your gCn, could you please give me an estimated timeline of when USB will be complete, more features added, etc.? That would kinda help my decision making at this point. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
If you do, I only ask that you not fall into what seems to be a common problem among users coming from other sites, and use tenses correctly. "My project can blah" means that right now, your project can do blah. "My project will blah" means that you plan to make it do blah.
Ahh yes, thanks for the correction. I'll make sure to keep that in mind in future posts about my projects. Wink
I'm afraid I can't give you a timeline; I have far too much work and other things going on in my life for that. I'll try to do it at my convenience. I'd imagine it'll happen in the next month or so, though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours