elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
I base the "family values = god hates fags" not on anything I've heard in the media, but on what the Family Research Counsel has actually said regarding homosexuality.

links plx.

http://www.frc.org/brochure/the-top-ten-myths-of-homosexuality
Doesn't exactly spell it out, but it's basically the same reasoning as the WBC

Quote:
Quote:
I base the "handy in the bathroom" comment on what has actually gone on(both with that one congressman in the airport, and the other that had a "rentboy", as well as countless other Republican leaders who have been involved in sex scandals).

Because career politicians are the best example of what their constituents actually want. Rolling Eyes
I'll give you that. But who continues to vote in those career politicians?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't mean to suggest that democrats are any better(Clinton, anyone?) simply that "Family Values" is a facade that people pretend makes them better than everyone else, when in fact, nobody(including anyone preaching this family values BS) is perfect.

Funnily enough, the part of your post that I've bolded is the foundational belief of Christian theology.
Quote:
...all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

The point is to acknowledge that, and then work to restore healthy relationships with God, each other, and Creation.

My problem is a lot of the people who claim to have accepted that then act like their better than everyone because of it, in direct violation of that principle. As an aside, I find it ironic that Christian conservatives would believe in forming a healthier relationship with creation when they oppose every climate change and pollution bill.
DShiznit wrote:
http://www.frc.org/brochure/the-top-ten-myths-of-homosexuality
Doesn't exactly spell it out, but it's basically the same reasoning as the WBC

Did you read the actual document? They are not advocating violence against homosexuals, and in fact speak out against the use of force. Making an argument based on sociological, psychological, and medical surveys to make an argument that homosexuality is neither an immutable character trait, nor a healthful one is an entirely different thing from "God hates these people and they're going to hell." Now if you disagree with the validity of the studies they are citing that's a different thing, but in that case you should be making a point by point rebuttal with your own set of sources and not resorting to ad hominem or accusing them of being hateful.

DShiznit wrote:
I'll give you that. But who continues to vote in those career politicians?

No one once they're exposed. But as long as they can fool people into voting for them they will. The politicians of our country (on both sides) have learned that winning votes and then breaking campaign promises is like taking candy from a baby. Do you think Obama was really committed to closing Guantanamo as per his campaign promises?

Quote:
My problem is a lot of the people who claim to have accepted that then act like their better than everyone because of it, in direct violation of that principle.

Unfortunately hypocrisy is everywhere....for example, post-modernists and relativists who insist that they alone are right about the nature of truth and morality, and militant atheists who b*tch about evangelical Christians. But WBC shouldn't form your opinion of a healthy Christian community, just like al-Qaeda shouldn't be your example of a healthy Islamic community, or ELF your model of environmentalists. When you look for the people who actually live out the teachings of a community you'll realize there's a lot more to them then the stereotypes or unpleasantly outspoken fringe.

Quote:
As an aside, I find it ironic that Christian conservatives would believe in forming a healthier relationship with creation when they oppose every climate change and pollution bill.

I find it ironic that secular environmentalists and social activists haven't noticed that the Old Testament contains some of the most radical directives for healthy use of the land and breaking generational cycles of poverty in human history. Unfortunately, since most people aren't genuinely concerned about an issue enough to do their own investigations of a field, they rely on whatever preformed opinions they can get spoon fed to them. This goes for Christians as much as for everyone else.
fair enough. There really isn't much more worth arguing there.

For the record I have lived with conservatives(up until roughly 5 years ago my dad was a conservative Republican) and I still enjoy sparring with my Grandfather, a christian conservative. I only watch MSNBC and CNN(which is actually fairly neutral) because the alternative is the largely fact-free Fox News. As biased as they may or may not be, every fact cited by an MSNBC correspondent can be verified, and their arguments are generally intelligent and well-formed(with the possible exception of Ed Schultz, who as much as I agree with him, comes across as a bit of a raving nut). I also enjoy Morning Joe, from which I hear a lot of moderate conservative arguments, and Fahreed Zakaria(sp.?) where I get a lot of international news. I don't read Huffington Post, though I respect Adriana as a Journalist, and up until recently I had some respect for Mike Huckabee for his arguments on the Daily Show.

I just find the near constant cycle of "vote for me, I have christian values and my [jew] opponent does not" followed by sex scandals to be getting old and crazy stupid, and the people who continue to fuel it are pretty much brain-dead and should return to their padded cells.
DShiznit wrote:
For the record I have lived with conservatives(up until roughly 5 years ago my dad was a conservative Republican) and I still enjoy sparring with my Grandfather, a christian conservative. I only watch MSNBC and CNN(which is actually fairly neutral) because the alternative is the largely fact-free Fox News. As biased as they may or may not be, every fact cited by an MSNBC correspondent can be verified, and their arguments are generally intelligent and well-formed(with the possible exception of Ed Schultz, who as much as I agree with him, comes across as a bit of a raving nut). I also enjoy Morning Joe, from which I hear a lot of moderate conservative arguments, and Fahreed Zakaria(sp.?) where I get a lot of international news. I don't read Huffington Post, though I respect Adriana as a Journalist, and up until recently I had some respect for Mike Huckabee for his arguments on the Daily Show.

Huckabee strikes me as one of those genuinely good guys who unfortunately happens to be totally clueless about global politics/foreign policy. But I haven't heard much about him since the election. I rely on a mix of Google News sources. If you want some reasonably well balanced coverage and really intelligent reporting check out English language al-Jazeera. I don't watch MSNBC, but I can't stand CNNs airheaded coverage.

Quote:

I just find the near constant cycle of "vote for me, I have anti-torture pro-freedom values and my [redneck] opponent does not" followed by domestic surveillance scandals to be getting old and crazy stupid, and the people who continue to fuel it are pretty much brain-dead and should return to their padded cells.

Wink Unfortunately politics works this way. Whatever else you may feel about the tea party, they're pumped for change in Washington, and actually doing something about it (unlike Obama). Rand Paul just released his plan to cut 500 billion from the federal budget.
Rand Paul is another leader that's growing on me. I respect his dedication to civil liberties, but I still need to read his plan to cut the budget, which I fear may contain cuts to many of the entitlements created and needed during a depression.
DShiznit wrote:
Rand Paul is another leader that's growing on me. I respect his dedication to civil liberties, but I still need to read his plan to cut the budget, which I fear may contain cuts to many of the entitlements created and needed during a depression.

He passes lots of things back to the state level and keeps the really critical entitlements but hands them off to other departments. Getting us back into the black and keep money in local economies is by far the most important thing for us to be doing.
Quote:
Getting us back into the black and keep money in local economies is by far the most important thing for us to be doing.

Uh, no, getting people jobs is the most important thing to be doing. With more people employed the government will have more tax revenue and balancing the budget becomes that much easier.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours