elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Any ideas on getting this monster to run on my netbook?

I think I'm going to have to wait until I have the source to be add settings to disable the lighting straight up. We'll see.
Unless I missed a bunch of Facebook messages, any news from the GarageGames elite about your license questions?
I'm expecting the response this evening since on Wednesday night I was told it should be about 48 hours.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm expecting the response this evening since on Wednesday night I was told it should be about 48 hours.
Very good, I look forward to seeing what they'll say. Just to be completely clear, this will obviate the need for the graphics upgrades and the Bullet Physics upgrades, correct?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Very good, I look forward to seeing what they'll say. Just to be completely clear, this will obviate the need for the graphics upgrades and the Bullet Physics upgrades, correct?

The bulk of the graphics upgrades that I was trying to introduce with OpenSceneGraph should be present in T3D. The particular culling algorithm that I'm interested may eventually need to be done depending on the performance with very large scenes, but first we'll see what can be accomplished with proper LODing and use of the built-in techniques. As far as the physics is concerned, T3D is currently based on PhysX, but evidently makes use of an abstraction layer that should make it possible to port things to Bullet relatively painlessly (I won't have to rip out all the physics code and replace it, only the backing code) if that is necessary. I'd like to try things out with PhysX first though. I know some of you were worried about PhysX and ATI, but keep in mind that ATI cards can run PhysX now as well, with some tinkering.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

The bulk of the graphics upgrades that I was trying to introduce with OpenSceneGraph should be present in T3D. The particular culling algorithm that I'm interested may eventually need to be done depending on the performance with very large scenes, but first we'll see what can be accomplished with proper LODing and use of the built-in techniques. As far as the physics is concerned, T3D is currently based on PhysX, but evidently makes use of an abstraction layer that should make it possible to port things to Bullet relatively painlessly (I won't have to rip out all the physics code and replace it, only the backing code) if that is necessary. I'd like to try things out with PhysX first though. I know some of you were worried about PhysX and ATI, but keep in mind that ATI cards can run PhysX now as well, with some tinkering.
But what about Linux/Mesa and OS X, afaik there is no support for PhysX on those systems, but I could be completely wrong there. Also do you know what the new minimum OpenGL version will be with the new engine?
Fair point about PhysX on Linux, and certainly a good reason to consider Bullet. However I seem to remember that we will have to do a reasonable amount of work to get the Linux client program up and running as well, so perhaps that is something that Swivel could hack on with the license he is planning to purchase. I'm not sure what the minimum OpenGL requirements are.
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d

Minimum Requirements:
Windows XP or Vista
Intel or AMD Processor @ 1 Ghz
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for Vista)
100% DirectX compatible video card with 256 MB video RAM required
DirectX 9.0c+
I got an email back from Eric Preisz, who wanted to clarify that FreeBuild was going to be a free product.
Send him back a facepalm image the size of miami.
Your response? It's already the 7th D:

Pardon my impatience, I'm just not sure how long I'll be able to offer my financial support lol Razz
Take a look at the log on Facebook. Things are progressing. Us nerd types tend to forget that businesses don't run on the weekends like we do.
elfprince13 wrote:
Take a look at the log on Facebook. Things are progressing. Us nerd types tend to forget that businesses don't run on the weekends like we do.
A look has been taken. I'm a bit concerned at their hesitation. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
A look has been taken. I'm a bit concerned at their hesitation. Sad
This. I'm the same way... Hmmm :/
I'm actually feeling quite positive about the exchange so far. The fact that they're taking my questions seriously enough to put me in touch with the CEO is a huge leap from the cold-shoulder treatment I've gotten on licensing questions in the past.
Most definitely. And with the recent exchanges, a resolution looks like it's finally in the clearing! This should be exciting Smile
It is an exciting prospect, even if in the process we're forced to cut out pretty much everyone who's ever loved the game and it's roots in order to support the newer features and visuals a viable new player base is going to demand.
DShiznit wrote:
It is an exciting prospect, even if in the process we're forced to cut out pretty much everyone who's ever loved the game and it's roots in order to support the newer features and visuals a viable new player base is going to demand.

I can't tell if you're being serious, or if you're joking.
What do you mean, DShiznit?
DShiznit wrote:

I understand your frustrations with your initial test run of T3D, but I really don't believe that's going to be the case. I've already told you that should we upgrade, I'm going to work to make sure you get reasonable performance on the commodity hardware available to you.

I really couldn't care less about the shiny in T3D, it's the modern infrastructure that excites me, and without something like it we probably won't be able to build on the scale we want.
I didn't mean to come off as pissy, I understand the game needs to evolve, and that evolution will likely cut some players off.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours