Life at Cemetech is rolling along, as it tends to do, and various points of interest bear sharing despite not being individually significant enough for their own news article. To get a bit of self-aggrandizing statistics news out of the way first, I have recently blown past 40,000 posts here on the Cemetech forum in just shy of six years, a current total of 1,276,583 words in 40,293 posts. In addition, I just passed 850,000 downloads on ticalc.org, and look forward to many more years of adding programs to my profile as a member of the community. Site-wide, the Statistics page shows that we're above 140,000 total posts, have over 9,500,000 topic views, and are rapidly approaching 1,700 members. Congrats to all, keep up the good work, and remember, when you have a question, a project, or an interesting technology-related issue to discuss, post it up! The site can only remain vibrant and continue to grow if everyone is engaged and has cool things to discuss.

Speaking of cool things, the global moderators and administrators of Cemetech want to single out three of our members for their inordinately valuable contributions to the graphing calculator community and to Cemetech. In no particular order, Ben Ryves has brought us innumerable well-written, impeccably-designed hardware and software projects over the years, and has contributed his extensive electronics and microcontroller expertise. Kenneth "Weregoose" Hammond has shared his remarkable ability to reduce TI-BASIC code size and increase speed by orders of magnitude with his mathematical insight. Brandon Wilson has consistently pushed the envelope on new areas and applications for our beloved calculators that many thought impossible. As a token of our gratitude, and to hopefully impress upon newer users the weight of any advice or assistance these three provide, we have bestowed a special rank of Cemetech Expert on these three remarkable individuals.

Finally, there are the usual excellent projects on which our members are working hard. Souvik Banerjee is building CALCnet Tournament, a multiplayer shooter game. Shaun "Merth" McFall has been combining globalCALCnet and C# in fun ways to produce a library for interacting with gCn and is now experimenting with code for a direct USB gCn bridge. Tanner Hobson has resumed work on his ASM topscroller Raven4ASM. I have been building and debugging a "$10 Bridge" alternative to the $30 Arduino board for connecting your calculators to the internet. Finally, many other impressive projects too numerous to mention are regularly being updated, so I invite you to (register if necessary, and) tell us what you think!
I _really_ look forward to all these projects being released! Good job everyone!
souvik1997 wrote:
I _really_ look forward to all these projects being released! Good job everyone!
Same here. I'm excited about all the interest in CALCnet and the cool things that people (including you) are doing with it, and I'm hoping the development of a direct USB gCn alternative will make it simple enough that many will try gCn.
Quote:
finally, there are the usual excellent projects on which our members are working hard. Souvik Banerjee is building CALCnet Tournament, a multiplayer shooter game. Shaun "Merth" McFall has been combining globalCALCnet and C# in fun ways to produce a library for interacting with gCn and is now experimenting with code for a direct USB gCn bridge. Tanner Hobson has resumed work on his ASM topscroller Raven4ASM. I have been building and debugging a "$10 Bridge" alternative to the $30 Arduino board for connecting your calculators to the internet. Finally, many other impressive projects too numerous to mention are regularly being updated, so I invite you to (register if necessary, and) tell us what you think!

and qazz is working on a C# game that is reminiscent of the old text based Vic-20 games Very Happy

back on topic... this is awesome, keep up the good work everyone on cemetech Very Happy (I cannot wait until we hit A MILLION POSTS!, almost halfway there Very Happy)
Yes, having 14% of one million is just like having nearly half! Wink I hope we do get there eventually, though; if we do, I might have to come up with a better backend storage system for posts, because MySQL might collapse under the load with the current system.
KermMartian wrote:
Yes, having 14% of one million is just like having nearly half! Wink I hope we do get there eventually, though; if we do, I might have to come up with a better backend storage system for posts, because MySQL might collapse under the load with the current system.

Awww, dammit eyes, I thought it said 400,000 Sad

oh well, by the time we get to that, I am sure you will have amounted millions of dollars from mass producing DCS and other goodies to pay for more space for cemetech Wink
Hehe, that would be excellent. Wink I am personally at 40,000 posts; the site as a whole is at 140,000 posts. I sort of like the idea of occasional news posts highlighting some of the cool things that people other than me are working on; did I miss any major projects that I could discuss in (one of) the next news articles?
KermMartian wrote:
Hehe, that would be excellent. Wink I am personally at 40,000 posts; the site as a whole is at 140,000 posts. I sort of like the idea of occasional news posts highlighting some of the cool things that people other than me are working on; did I miss any major projects that I could discuss in (one of) the next news articles?

oh, that is even better, you are a fifth of half of the way there Very Happy

I think you missed.. errrm... hmmm... I think there are some, but I cannot think of them atm Sad
Thank you very much, KermM, and many congratulations to the others. Smile

It's good to see that Cemetech continues to foster such an active and intelligent community. The listed projects - and others unmentioned - make me wish I could spend more time on calculator programming, something work has left me with little time (or energy) for in recent months. Fingers crossed for a productive 2011 from everyone!
benryves wrote:
Thank you very much, KermM, and many congratulations to the others. Smile
Thank you! Many things I personally have worked on, especially my recent forays into AVR programming, would be going much much more slowly without the help you've offered me. I know of many others on Cemetech and #cemetech that you've helped with all kinds of stuff related to software and hardware as well. Smile

Quote:
It's good to see that Cemetech continues to foster such an active and intelligent community.
I'm glad to hear that you experience us that way, and I hope we're able to maintain those standards
Quote:
The listed projects - and others unmentioned - make me wish I could spend more time on calculator programming, something work has left me with little time (or energy) for in recent months. Fingers crossed for a productive 2011 from everyone!
Oooh, I should have mentioned Nostromo. Well, it'll absolutely deserve a mention or three at some point; I certainly hope that work and life will leave you the time to pick up some of your calculator endeavors soon.
Yay! I love being mentioned in the news Very Happy I too look forward to all the new projects -- Geekboy's CaDan mod, Qazz42's C# adventure game, Eeems' Blue Platform, along with the one's in the first post. I also look forward to some non-programming projects, such as Raylin's Phantom Sanctuary book. Good luck everyone, and great post Kerm Smile
Thanks _player! Yeah, those are a bunch of other good projects!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours