I need some help with making an uninstaller. I have probably 4-500 computers that are running windows xp. They currently have AVG server edition and I am trying to switch this to Trendmicro. I have a .msi installer for the Trendmicro ,but i'm trying to automate this process as much as possible. I was hoping to make a batch file to do this ,but it still requires user input i'm trying to make a one click solution that uninstalls, restarts, then installs the .msi . Any suggestion's specific code or just where to look would be useful.
anselmot wrote:
I need some help with making an uninstaller. I have probably 4-500 computers that are running windows xp. They currently have AVG server edition and I am trying to switch this to Trendmicro. I have a .msi installer for the Trendmicro ,but i'm trying to automate this process as much as possible. I was hoping to make a batch file to do this ,but it still requires user input i'm trying to make a one click solution that uninstalls, restarts, then installs the .msi . Any suggestion's specific code or just where to look would be useful.

You forgot to include a way to auto-check the 2 check boxes automatically, then restart it and come back to log in, and let it resume after it restarts.(resume by installing the TrendMicro.msi automatically)

Also I ought to throw in we got this so far:

Code:
cd C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9
setup.exe /uninstall

Which gets it to the uninstallation, but waits for the user to click check boxes and then hit next.
Sonlen wrote:

Code:
cd C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9
setup.exe /uninstall

Which gets it to the uninstallation, but waits for the user to click check boxes and then hit next.

Code:
@echo off
wmic
product get name
product where name=""call uninstall
I got this off of the internet ,but can't seem to get it to work.

Also, forgot to mention the computer has a novell login as soon as it boots up. I'm not sure what exactly the product is called but I know it's novell and I can give a username and password if it's needed.
anselmot wrote:
Also, forgot to mention the computer has a novell login as soon as it boots up. I'm not sure what exactly the product is called but I know it's novell and I can give a username and password if it's needed.

As I said, after restarting and logging in. Besides I don't think the batch file can log in if we set one up anyways.
I'd know how to do this kind of thing on Linux, but I'm afraid I'm no Windows automation expert. Hopefully Merth, Ben, or others will know.
KermMartian wrote:
I'd know how to do this kind of thing on Linux, but I'm afraid I'm no Windows automation expert. Hopefully Merth, Ben, or others will know.
Dang Kerm I was hoping you would know, but I will admit it is a-lot easier on linux and osx
anselmot wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Dang Kerm I was hoping you would know, but I will admit it is a-lot easier on linux and osx

I am sure Merth or Ben would know, they are more on the programming Windows side unless I am mistaken.
To uninstall a MSI silently, use

Code:
msiexec /uninstall installer.msi /quiet

If not using an MSI installer, you'll have to fight with whichever 3rd party uninstaller the program you're using uses.

If you're aiming to do automation on Windows, you can use a real programming language (JScript and VBScript are offered by default) with the Windows Script Host. It's significantly more flexible than batch scripts!

Edit: To qualify, one example of where WSH is more useful than batch scripts for automation is the SendKeys method which allows you to send keystrokes to the active window.
What about AutoHotKey; would that have any applicability for this problem?
It wasn't installed using a .msi it's a .exe . We installed it on an image and installed that on the computers since they are all pretty much the same
Some installers are a .exe stub around a .msi - you can check to see if the AVG installation folder contains a relevant .msi file.
When we went through it I didn't see anything with .msi , but Sonlen would know for sure. Is it still possible if we used an .exe?
anselmot wrote:
When we went through it I didn't see anything with .msi , but Sonlen would know for sure. Is it still possible if we used an .exe?
This is a bit of a necropost considering the next-day timeframe that you mentioned in your original post, but did you ever get this working, is the project still underway, or did you just go ahead and do everything manually?
KermMartian wrote:
This is a bit of a necropost considering the next-day time frame that you mentioned in your original post, but did you ever get this working,

We haven't had any luck so far. The .msi installer that was made for us is broken. We aren't sure exactly whats wrong with it, hopefully just some user error. Luckily we weren't on a next-day deadline. We have a month to do it and only get about 4 hours a week spread among 10 people(assuming nothing else is broken). I'm sick right now with the flu so i'm not sure about any new progress hopefully sonlen will update me.
Update our problem has now been fixed. Sort of
This will remove AVG http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avg_remover_stf_x86_2011_1184.exe
then create a batch file to execute it and then install your next anti-virus.
So simple I almost feel like and idiot. Even though this isn't as automated as we want it's the best solution so far(that I know about)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours