I've had a thread in the z80 Assembly section for a while about this project. Somehow, I never made a real "project" thread, so I guess that this will be that Smile

Raven is a project that I have been working on for various languages as my sort of "test" program. Basically, if I can write it in a certain language, I'd say I'm at least intermediate on the scale of beginner<->BrandonW. It started as an Axe game, then went to Nspire C for a while, and is now in ASM. I'd say that this is probably my favorite project to work on, but I haven't been for a while. I was hoping some of you all could give me ideas to add and whatnot Smile

Current features include (but are not limited to [I forget stuff D:])
:: Enemies -- Complete with randomized movement
:: Enemy Shooting -- Enemies shoot randomly down towards you
:: Player Shooting -- Uses a debouncer so you can't spam the bullets by holding the button
:: Power-ups -- Not many, but it certainly works
:: Health Display -- Shows hearts off to the side, made to not be distracting

Current power-ups (as of now)
:: Stop -- Stops your player from moving around
:: Speed -- Makes your player move faster
:: Trigger Finger -- Makes you shoot faster
:: Health -- Increases your health by a little bit over many loops of the game

You can only have one power-up at a time. If you get another while you are using one, it will just remove that one and not give you the effect. When your power-up is over, the screen will flash.

Here is a current screen shot as of today:

If you have any ideas, suggestions, insults, or other various things to say to me about this project, do so Very Happy

Edit: For the record, most of the stuff I have in this -- bullet reload time, power-up dropping probability, enemy health, and more -- can be easily changed with a #define up at the top of my code. So if anything looks off, or something doesn't feel right, I can try to fix it Smile I set the power-up probability to 100% btw
This looks quite nice and fun to play! Very Happy
I saw this in the other section a while ago and it's very nice. I'M glad you're still working on Raven. Smile
Very impressive, tanner! I too am glad that you're still working on this. Do you have any bosses, levels, etc yet? Do the powerups do what it says on the tin yet?
They do Very Happy In my screenshot I tried to get them all, but my instinct when I get the "Stop!" power-up is to shoot like crazy, so I killed them all before I could get the others. I think I might work on bosses soon Smile
_player1537 wrote:
They do Very Happy In my screenshot I tried to get them all, but my instinct when I get the "Stop!" power-up is to shoot like crazy, so I killed them all before I could get the others. I think I might work on bosses soon Smile
So you do; I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for in the screenshots. That sounds great, keep up the good work. I want to contribute an icon, since I'm getting bored of looking at that door. Wink
I don't have an icon yet o.o I'll work on one separately and we'll see which looks better (probably yours Razz)
*bump*

I think I'll work on the boss code tomorrow. Any ideas on how it should move? Should it be like the enemies, but move half as fast? Should it be a huge sprite? Should it be able to shoot bullets really really fast? I would love some feedback Smile
Definitely should be a larger sprites (a la Phoenix) and definitely should move slower; I don't know about shooting bullets really fast, but perhaps it should be able to fire a larger volume of bullets per unit time.
I think should shoot bullets at the same speed as the other enemies, but the bullets should be larger and cause more damage. It also should move slower than the other enemies and be a huge sprite.
Souvik, you mean that the bullets should move at the same rate, or that both bullets should move at the same rate and it fires at the same rate? Other than that point of clarification, I agree.
The bullets should move at the same speed as the other enemies, and the character should move slower than the other enemies.
How's this for boss movement speed? Also, how is the sprite? He can't take damage _yet_ or shoot bullets, but I got him moving around Smile
Looks good!
_player1537 wrote:
How's this for boss movement speed? Also, how is the sprite? He can't take damage _yet_ or shoot bullets, but I got him moving around Smile
Looks great! I could stand both the boss and the regular enemies going a bit more slowly, but it's probably more fun the way you have it.
@Souvik, thanks!
@KermM, That screenshot seems really fast now that I look at it. Also, for reference, the boss is moving at half the speed of the enemies.

I think I'm going to add something that displays what powerup you have in the corner (perhaps below the health display?) Any ideas?
How about right next to the health display in a second column?
Hmm, so does that imply having a power-up stack? I could do that Smile
_player1537 wrote:
Hmm, so does that imply having a power-up stack? I could do that Smile
I was under the impression you could get / have more than one powerup at a time. Was I incorrect?
Currently it only has one power-up at a time, and that blocks out any other power-up from being used. I might add a button to discard the current one. Should I have a power-up stack? Once I change the frequency of them, it will be harder to get more and might be worth it to save up.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours