most people dont...
alex10819 wrote:
@rivereye - there are anti-virus programs for Linux... it just so happens that they're all freeware Razz

@Kerm - yeah, firefox does have vulnerabilities... it will be targeted soon...

Linux AV programs (the few i've seen/tried) are mainly just a firewall, and will catch and stop the spread of windows viruses (mainly for servers to help resist hacking attempts). Linux is very secure due to its users. I'm not just talking about the whole non-root users not being able to write outside home dir, or not being able to install sys wide software. I'm talking about the physical linux user. The main people who spread windows viruses are all the computer dumbasses who will open an e-mail from anyone. All them gramma's sitting at a comp clicking random stuff, then wondering why it gets a virus. Not one computer at my house has ever gotten a virus. The best form of AV is a common sense! Laughing

Firefox vulnerabilities: Not so much to do with it being targeted now, as it is that the media is now covering them. I even saw an article that said firefox has more holes than IE (was even in the local newspaper), which complete crap. Firefox has had fewer published vulnerabilities since it has came out as IE gets in a week Rolling Eyes The open source thing helps alot, because you've got more people going over the code to prevent the holes, as you do those trying to find them (and some ppl that find the holes want to fix em, but with IE they can't) Anyone in the entire world can help develop firefox (same with linux).

and don't hold your breathe for widespread *nix virus's. After all, most virus writers are running *nix so they aren't vulnerable to themselves Wink (viruses for specific programs, maybe, like Apache or MySQL or something like that, to take down servers.)
hmm... i've had spyware, but that came from my stupid ISP... (the internet when down for 3 hours... when it came back up, i got 5 spyware notices... and nothing was actually accessing the internet at the time...)
That wouldn't come from your ISP though...

Quote:
probably for compatitbilty. There are things Windows supports that Linux doesn't

Yeah, but that's really only the case for hardware. But then, if you're running Linux, chances are that you know how to write drivers and can port your windows drivers to linux.

Quote:
The main people who spread windows viruses are all the computer dumbasses who will open an e-mail from anyone. All them gramma's sitting at a comp clicking random stuff, then wondering why it gets a virus.

THAT IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF MY MOM!!! Laughing If the icon for IE has 'moved' on the desktop, she'll complain to my Dad that she "can't find the internet! Kyle keeps screwing up the computer" Laughing Oh, the laughter that surges through me at those moments... Very Happy
What you should do is try and make the FireFox icon look like IE, and have it on the desktop.
Laughing The internet! Kyle stole the internet! Very Happy
rivereye wrote:
What you should do is try and make the FireFox icon look like IE, and have it on the desktop.

i just told my mom to click on the furry lil' fox when she wants the internet Wink
well, what did she have to say about it?
Ya I just switched firefox to the default internet service. My mom only clicks on a direct link to her yahoo email and doesn't really do anything else so she doesn't even realize a difference Cool
*pst* Opera */pst*
i had to teach mom how to get rid of popup boxes...

i could probably come up with of her computer exploits...

confusing scanners with cameras, trying to print from the camera, you name it, she's done it... including frying about 8 modems... (genius bypassed the surge protector cuz she said it was slowing her internet down...)
Opera?! Why ever would you use that? Smile
is it a good thing that my mom knows a lot about computers?
Um, I don't have FireFox on my family computer...

Quote:
confusing scanners with cameras, trying to print from the camera, you name it, she's done it... including frying about 8 modems... (genius bypassed the surge protector cuz she said it was slowing her internet down...)

Funny...my mom can't find the scanner Laughing
oh, thats easy... thats the spinning thing in the back that goes "whirrrrr"...

mom took my computer yesterday, so i waited til she was in the shower and left a fake virus on her comp... and a nice little webpage to explain what it was...

"you have gotten the garendous virus... please input your credit card # here or face deletion of all your files" and on and on and on...
KermMartian wrote:

Because its a more polished FireFox (feels very professional and clean), and is a a good browser (its completely free now - for the "full" ad-free version too!) I switch between Opera and FF depending on what i want to do, and what sort of mood i'm in Cool

FireFox: Old muscle car, raw power, tons of stuff you can do to em, not as friendly though

Opera: ferrari (or other exotic), fast, sleek, sexy, but fewer things you can easily swap out

IE: old junker that randomly bursts into flames, that makes you feel dirty just being near it

Thats the way i line em up Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

[...]

IE: old junker that randomly bursts into flames, that makes you feel dirty just being near it

Thats the way i line em up Smile

Laughing Lovin' the last one...
yup... except i use IE sometimes... (for a while, FF was refusing to start... the process was running but not the task... go figure..)
Gar...that's frustrating.
yeah, I got portable Firefox for when I am on comps without it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours