Jimmg wrote:
After releasing a mod I made with T3D I noticed alot of users that tried it got crashes that me and other people didnt.
And did you notice any patterns among the people who got the crashes as far as OS, platform, graphics card, etc?
Jimmg wrote:
After releasing a mod I made with T3D I noticed alot of users that tried it got crashes that me and other people didnt.

This happened to me my first couple releases of CemetechAI with regular old TGE, simply because I hadn't tracked down a number of subtle bugs, and because of some problems with how TBM abused the weapon system into a place that was very crash-happy. Obviously there might be lots of problems with the engine itself, but somehow I don't think that is quite as likely as lots of subtle scripting errors.

DShiznit wrote:
Alright, after trying it on my netbook:

Steampunk map: abysmal

Desert: poor

Blank Room: Good

This was with the graphics as down as they would go(EDIT- even at 640x480 resolution) and the player and his primary weapon didn't even render.

That's depressing to hear, but at least we know where we're starting from. I'll have quite a few tests for you to figure out exactly what your bottlenecks are.

Quote:
The PhysX library requires an NVidia GeForce video card to run so those demos were a no-go(anyone who does have a great computer, but decided to buy an ATI card(since NVidia ones sucked in 08-09) would be out of luck on this front as well), and my console has more red than a Chinese flag(I'd post a log but it's actually too long for Cemetech to handle).

If you want to post the log, email it to me.

As far as PhysX is concerned, don't worry about it too much because the T3D physics code is abstracted so that I should be able to plug Bullet in instead.
This is gonna sound painful, but could we have two engines that share base resources? This way, players on netbooks and older computers could use TGE1.5, and those with faster computers can use the advanced engine and benefit from additional graphical features not part of consistent interaction between server and client.
DShiznit wrote:
This is gonna sound painful, but could we have two engines that share base resources? This way, players on netbooks and older computers could use TGE1.5, and those with faster computers can use the advanced engine and benefit from additional graphical features not part of consistent interaction between server and client.

Unfortunately that would negate the benefits of getting T3D at all. TGE in it's current form really isn't up to the job we have for it, and getting it there is going to waste a lot of time. I'm much more enthusiastic about the idea of setting up T3D to fall back on older methods/turning off glitter than about getting TGE to use new ones. The T3D documentation that is publicly accessible without a license indicates the ability to turn on "Basic Lighting" that has been tested for commodity hardware (i.e. people like you).
I figured that would be too much. Let me email you my most recent log. It should be shorter since I only loaded one map this time.
DShiznit wrote:
I figured that would be too much. Let me email you my most recent log. It should be shorter since I only loaded one map this time.

Got it Smile
Just tried it on the other computer(with the older Intel GMA), won't start, saying it can't set a light manager.
DShiznit wrote:
Just tried it on the other computer(with the older Intel GMA), won't start, saying it can't set a light manager.

Did you just email the log for that one as well, or is that the other one?
The log doesn't show anything, it just cuts off when it's about to create the light manager, which is where I got the error message.
I'll have to see what can be done about that....
There's probably not much you can do, the problem is the older Intel GMAs don't support per-pixel lighting. HL2 seems to work ok without it though...
DShiznit wrote:
There's probably not much you can do, the problem is the older Intel GMAs don't support per-pixel lighting. HL2 seems to work ok without it though...

Well it may be possible for me to add a switch that would disable per-pixel lighting, if we get the engine.

As an update all around, Eric Preisz (GG's CEO) is personally reviewing my licensing email, and has said they'll reach a decision within 48 hours.
Dude freaking awesome.
Yea, this will be a huge leap if we get it, and will get us moving along nicely to the game we want.
I've been playing about with the editors a bit in the T3D demo and they seem to be a lot better than what we've been working with. I haven't tried any geometry stress tests yet though.
elfprince13 wrote:
I've been playing about with the editors a bit in the T3D demo and they seem to be a lot better than what we've been working with. I haven't tried any geometry stress tests yet though.
How much work will it take move the script base to the new engine? Will it put you back to far or will integrating the existing work be fairly standard?
TheStorm wrote:
How much work will it take move the script base to the new engine? Will it put you back to far or will integrating the existing work be fairly standard?

I don't think it will take that long, but some stuff will certainly need to be reimplemented. A lot of the stuff that would have had to be done, and been painful, was done when I reorganized the directory structure and switched the datablocks into their own files, both of which make our TGE 1.5 more like a T3D setup than most.

I'm planning this afternoon to convert some complex LDraw builds into a dts model and see what kind of performance I get.
KermMartian wrote:
Jimmg wrote:
And did you notice any patterns among the people who got the crashes as far as OS, platform, graphics card, etc?
None at all besides them using Nvidia, which is odd because I use Nvidia on a couple other machines that run it fine.
Any ideas on getting this monster to run on my netbook?
DShiznit wrote:
Any ideas on getting this monster to run on my netbook?

I think I'm going to have to wait until I have the source to be add settings to disable the lighting straight up. We'll see.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours