Does the current version of torque support either of these?
I haven't tried to play with them at all, so I can't tell you off the top of my head.
I'm sure the OSG rendering system would support it eventually.
DShiznit wrote:

Thisthisthis. Super easily.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Thisthisthis. Super easily.
Huzzah. What are the differences between the two graphically, by the way? I'm familiar with what bump mapping is, and that normal mapping has to do with reflections symmetrical around the perpendicular to each surface polygon, but I'm not sure what that means in practical displayed image terms.
A normal map allows a low-poly mesh to take on the appearance of a high-poly mesh by mapping the face orientation (or the face normals) of the higher model onto the lower model. So for example if you make a millions-of-polys character model in something like maya, you can render a high quality normal map, and then export a simplified version of the model with the normal map baked onto it.
A great example would be exposed wires in an damaged wall. A grayscale bump-map would make them look like humps, a normal map would make them look like wires.
Ahhh, thanks to both of you, that rings a bell. I remember seeing a demonstration of that in action (possibly even linked to me by Elfprince, now that I think about it); I didn't recall that that's what the techniques were called.
For a great example of really good normal mapping, play Mass Effect 1. It took me 4 play-throughs before realizing almost all the stairs are a normal-mapped plane.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours