Um, crashing calcs, setting clock frequencies, and figuring out how interrupts/exceptions are handled?

Anyway, you once asked me if the memory dumps we had were physical dumps or logical dumps. After seeing the dumps obtained with Goplat's program, I'm inclined towards the latter.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Um, crashing calcs, setting clock frequencies, and figuring out how interrupts/exceptions are handled?

Anyway, you once asked me if the memory dumps we had were physical dumps or logical dumps. After seeing the dumps obtained with Goplat's program, I'm inclined towards the latter.
Huh, very interesting. That's sort of what I suspected, so I'm interested to hear that confirmed
Well, the Prizm has been released in stores, as of yesterday. I now have mine and it turns out that that those Prizms bought on-line had a buggy pre-release OS. The OS on my calc is newer and doesn't have the Locate bug found by DJ. Also, math commands are freakin' fast on the Prizm.
Are you sure it's a pre-release OS, though? It could be initial release calcs that made it online, then Casio fixed the bug then distributed another batch for retail stores.

What sucks, though, is that this OS update is not even available on Casio's website, same for the emulator that came with Qwerty's retail calc but not mine/FinaleTI/z80man's, so people who bought calcs from the first batch of calcs are stuck with the buggy OS for who-knows-how-long.
Can you transfer the OS between calculators?
Oooh, they distribute an emulator along with the calculators? That's another point for Casio. Is it even a decent emulator, to boot?
KermMartian wrote:
Oooh, they distribute an emulator along with the calculators? That's another point for Casio. Is it even a decent emulator, to boot?
It's not really an emulator... it's more like a port of the Prizm OS. It doesn't attempt to emulate the hardware.
To add to JosJuice post, it's kinda like TI-SmartView. I think it doesn't even support 3rd-party flash apps. The same thing happened with their ClassPad and FX-9860G emulators.
So you can't run Prizm machine code on it?
souvik1997 wrote:
It seems to be completely impossible.
JosJuice wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
It seems to be completely impossible.
Meh, that's a disappointment. It seems that the Prizm runs BASIC code intended for a monochrome Casio calculator model or line; is there an emulator for that calculator? If so, presumably it would be somewhat straightforward to rewrite that emulator to support the Prizm...?
KermMartian wrote:

I suppose it's decent if you're a teacher who wants to show your students how to do something on-calc, but otherwise no. It doesn't emulate the hardware and there's no discrete OS file either. It's a collection of small RAM/ROM files and .dll files. Plus, it's only a 90 day trial emulator. You have to buy the real one.

But there is an fx-9860G emulator around:

http://ourl.ca/2968
Qwerty, that's nice. I'm assuming of course that the fx-9860G also has an SH3 CPU; is this a correct assumption?
I guess that someone will need to make a Prizm Emulator, I wonder who will..... I also assume that to make one, it requires disassembling the OS? Or would you just need a proper SDK?
qazz42 wrote:
I guess that someone will need to make a Prizm Emulator, I wonder who will..... I also assume that to make one, it requires disassembling the OS? Or would you just need a proper SDK?
Neither. As I just said above, you can probably modify an existing SH3 emulator with the proper color screen hardware, then just feed it the Prizm OS. Remember, a true emulator emulates only the hardware of the device, and is able to run the original operating system. It doesn't attempt to emulate the software directly.
KermMartian wrote:
Qwerty, that's nice. I'm assuming of course that the fx-9860G also has an SH3 CPU; is this a correct assumption?

Yes.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yes.
Excellent, then a port should be somewhat straightfoward. How do the specs compare otherwise? I'll look them up myself as well though, so I don't have to yell at myself to JFGI. Smile
The LCD is very different, as should be obvious, but other than that, the Prizm appears to be mostly similar, excepting the fact that they all smell like they came from a burnt warehouse.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
The LCD is very different, as should be obvious, but other than that, the Prizm appears to be mostly similar, excepting the fact that they all smell like they came from a burnt warehouse.
Eeek, I don't want a smeller calculator. Razz How do memory, processor speed, and processor model compare? Also LCD resolution?
KermMartian wrote:
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Eeek, I don't want a smeller calculator. Razz How do memory, processor speed, and processor model compare? Also LCD resolution?

Mmmmm, burning plastic.... *drools*

and ok Kerm, seems fair enough, I didnt see your post earlier, thus my confusion. Once there is more stuff for it, might as well get one then....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours