CALCnet Chat! is a multi-user chat program written for Doors CS 7.1 and later. It takes advantages of the powerful CALCnet 2.2 networking protocol for TI graphing calculators and the Doors CS GUI API to offer a small yet powerful program. This 2KB program lets you chat with one, one dozen, or one thousand other users at once over CALCnet or globalCALCnet. It has already been used for conversations over 300 miles using gCn, demonstrating its versatility and power. Among the features offered are inter-calculator chatting via CALCnet, an integrated users list, intelligent, real-time detecting of new calculators arriving and old calculators leaving, the ability to change (and remember) your username, and much more. Chat! joins such venerated Doors CS-powered programs as Document DE 7 and mobileTunes 3.1 in offering a powerful, ground-breaking application in a sleek, svelte package. Please load CALCnet Chat! onto your favorite graphing calculators, especially if you have a CALCnet hub handy (but even if you just have two calculators connected with a unit-to-unit I/O cable) and let us know about any bugs you find!

With the invaluable help of Thomas "Elfprince13" Dickerson and Shaun "Merth" McFall, gCn is moving along swiftly; the Linux, Windows, and MacOS clients are all nearly ready for a beta release. Look for more news on this project in the very near future.

Download
CALCnet Chat! v0.9

For what it's worth, I already found and fixed a bug wherein the usernames window would have strangely corrupted contents on the last line for eight-character local usernames.
Very nice! I will definitely beta-test this. Very Happy
souvik1997 wrote:
Very nice! I will definitely beta-test this. Very Happy
Most excellent; thanks Souvik! I need to track down some obscure gCn-IRC error; otherwise I've been finding Chat to be quite stable and reliable.
woo, nspire testing later! I await the results I will get. Just to be sure, calcnet programs dont use undocumented commends, right?
qazz42 wrote:
woo, nspire testing later! I await the results I will get. Just to be sure, calcnet programs dont use undocumented commends, right?
Nope, not that I know of, otherwise I would have done something about it. Wink I look forward to the results of your testing.
k then, will do. Will be home at around 3
qazz42 wrote:
k then, will do. Will be home at around 3
Then I shall patiently wait for the results of your testing. I hope that Merth sees this topic so I can test with him as well this evening.
Yay chat!
merthsoft wrote:
Yay chat!
For sure! Have you found any bugs in the latest revision yet other than the one that I mentioned in my first reply in this topic, Shaun?
This looks nice! I can't test it (I don't have a link cable or access to another calc, not even in school), but there's something I noticed in the screenshots; "**[username] parted". Wouldn't it be a bit better to just use "**[username] left"?
JosJuice wrote:
This looks nice! I can't test it (I don't have a link cable or access to another calc, not even in school), but there's something I noticed in the screenshots; "**[username] parted". Wouldn't it be a bit better to just use "**[username] left"?
I guess I was thinking about the IRC /join and /part commands when I created those strings, but that would certainly save us two bytes. What does everyone else thing of the verbs "left" vs. "parted"?
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Yay chat!
For sure! Have you found any bugs in the latest revision yet other than the one that I mentioned in my first reply in this topic, Shaun?
I have not yet had the chance to test it, being at work.

KermMartian wrote:
JosJuice wrote:
I guess I was thinking about the IRC /join and /part commands when I created those strings, but that would certainly save us two bytes. What does everyone else thing of the verbs "left" vs. "parted"?
I guess I don't see why it should be left vs. parted? XChat says "left", I suppose, but irssi says "quit". I think we should just keep it as "parted" unless we get a compelling reason to change it.
I'm thinking the same as you; hope you don't mind us ignoring your suggestion, JosJuice. Smile Merth, in the meantime I'll try to track down the IRC/gCn errors, and if I succeed, perhaps I'll be able to release a beta gCnclient in the next few days. I want to find a way to release an Arduino program compiled instead of with source, though.
Too... much... pure... awesomeness, can't... post...normally... Very Happy
I am in awe, Kerm and Merth. Very Happy Can't wait for the clients to be released.
0rac343 wrote:
Too... much... pure... awesomeness, can't... post...normally... Very Happy
I am in awe, Kerm and Merth. Very Happy Can't wait for the clients to be released.
Haha, thanks. Smile Do you have an Arduino to help us do testing, or was that generic excitement? Let us know if you get a chance to test Chat.
Quote:
Do you have an Arduino to help us do testing, or was that generic excitement? Let us know if you get a chance to test Chat.

Actually when this initially was posted on Cemetech, I was interested, and I googled around for 'Arduino'. And I ordered it, but it isn't here yet, I hope it'll be in soon. Very Happy
Oh, that's really great to hear! Let me know as soon as you get it, and I'll send you along the program and code you'll need to test it out with us, even if the official gcnclient beta (or final) release hasn't happened yet.
yea, everything works fine, nothing crashed or anything
qazz42 wrote:
yea, everything works fine, nothing crashed or anything
Excellent! And no problems with detections of calculators, network jamming, etc?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours