Eeems wrote:
So there is no way to use it in the way CALCnet does :/

Can't wait to be able to see this in action with a large group of people Razz
Yeah, same here. Smile I'm about to post news about Chat working on IRC in both directions!
*bump* From the frontpage news article:

This evening, two days of Python coding paid off, as a CALCnet-enabled TI-83+ connected to a globalCALCnet (gCn) bridge successfully joined and conversed on the EfNet IRC channel #cemetech. As mentioned previously, the gCn project allows CALCnet 2.2 networks to be joined across the internet; by pretending to be another CALCnet 2.2 network, the gCn bridge enables IRC users to chat with real calculators and vice versa. The calculator side is handled by the CALCnet Chat client written by Shaun "Merthsoft" McFall and with CALCnet networking routines written by yours truly; the Python 'gcnirc' program connects to the gCn metahub and pretends to be another calculator running Chat. However, it also connects to IRC, and formats messages from each medium to be passed to the other. In the coming days and weeks, this bridge will be fine-tuned, additional progress and debugging of Chat will occur, and arguably most importantly, the Arduino drivers for CALCnet communication will be fine-tuned to massage out some occasional bottlenecks that keep frames (packets) jammed at the device. Please feel free to post with thoughts, suggestions, and discussions of your projects that you think should run over gCn!

Man, that's sweet.
merthsoft wrote:
Man, that's sweet.
Which, the gCn/IRC/CALCnet progress or that awesome Chat! program? Wink
There. Needs. To be. A 2D UT clone. For this. Now.
Raylin wrote:
There. Needs. To be. A 2D UT clone. For this. Now.
Haha, then you should nag Souvik to finish his tentatively named "CALCnet Shooter" faster. Wink
While we're at porting games, what about Super Smash Bros Razz

How fast is it, Kerm? Could cloud computing be a possibility? Or a real web browser?
This is so good, all I can say is "wow". Surprised Very Happy
Qwerty: the bandwidth maxes out at about 3.5Kbps (which is the CALCnet 2.2 burst bandwidth; each local CALCnet is the bottleneck, not gCn), thanks to all the extra care it has to take to avoid calculators interrupting, addressing overhead, etc. Latency on gCn is somewhat high at the moment because frames getting sent and received at the same time are jamming my bridge. I'm working on that. Smile

"Cloud computing" is a very real possibility, as is something at least approaching a legitimate web browser.

Souvik: Cheers! Smile
If the bandwidth can go that high, then perhaps it'd be possible to render screens client side and send them to the calc. That would make some really complex (and large) games possible in any computer language the server can run.

Halo on calc?
Well, it would max out at less than a frame a second (3.5Kbps = 438Bps, so just under 2 seconds per frame), but yes, with a bit of client-side cheating to hide the latency from the user, that's an awesome idea. Actually, I can't believe I didn't think of that before. O_O
Great, you guys are going to make my Haloesque RPG look terrible.

Good luck with all of this!

Oh wait, it already does..... : (
No words can express, just applause and smiles over on my end Smile
Beta7, hardly, just different goals. Smile
Comic, cheers! I hope that you get to participate at some point.
Screenshots! *nomnomnom*
These were delicious screenies! Very Happy
0rac343 wrote:
Screenshots! *nomnomnom*
These were delicious screenies! Very Happy
Thanks, glad to hear it. Upcoming things to do on this:

1) Figure out why the Arduino gets jammed sometimes
2) Figure out why CALCnet is disabled when Chat APDs
3) Fix username display in Chat->IRC lines
4) Fix username display in IRC->Chat lines
5) Add transcoding (ASCII <> TI-ASCII)
6) Get Merth to add scrollback trimming in Chat, or do it myself
Quote:
Thanks, glad to hear it. Upcoming things to do on this:

1) Figure out why the Arduino gets jammed sometimes
2) Figure out why CALCnet is disabled when Chat APDs
3) Fix username display in Chat->IRC lines
4) Fix username display in IRC->Chat lines
5) Add transcoding (ASCII <> TI-ASCII)
6) Get Merth to add scrollback trimming in Chat, or do it myself

Nice list of to dos. I like number 6 alot. It'd be pretty cool to see it in there.
6 is my least favorite Sad I'll do it though, don't worry. Like I said, this weekend will be spent making Chat work Very Happy
merthsoft wrote:
6 is my least favorite Sad I'll do it though, don't worry. Like I said, this weekend will be spent making Chat work Very Happy
Awesome. Smile I have plenty of ideas on that count, though; with a simple character width routine I can rip from Doors CS, we can just trim off anything that makes text be below the screen. The other option is to make it prepend new text, SAX-style, and then trim anything that would push the length past 500 bytes. That latter would be much, much easier, but I dunno how people feel about reading upside-down.
I don't like the reading upside down thing. I'd prefer text get appended. I'll just have to trim and copy, shouldn't be an issue. Or am I thinking about it all wrong?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours