If we do, can we have a name-change packet too?
merthsoft wrote:
If we do, can we have a name-change packet too?
I suppose so. Because of the way the IsItKnown function works, actually, I could use join/ping packets with a name payload and do comparison relatively easily and with few operations, now that I'm thinking about it, so your original idea might have been the best.
tIRC Wink

Also, could the "ii" before every other person's names go away and be switched with something else? I think it's difficult to see the name that is there. Perhaps stuff you say could show up 1 or 2 spaces in, and everything else right along the left side.
How about CRCde (calculator relay chat)?
_player1537 wrote:
tIRC Wink

Also, could the "ii" before every other person's names go away and be switched with something else? I think it's difficult to see the name that is there. Perhaps stuff you say could show up 1 or 2 spaces in, and everything else right along the left side.
It's not intentional; it's a glitch on my to-solve list that I didn't get a chance to handle before I created that screenshot. Smile

Name ideas:
tIRC (_player)
CRCde (Souvik)
Chat, Chattr, IRCalc, Discuss DE, Confab, Gossip DE, Relay, Bridged, and a bunch of assorted synonyms thereof.
My vote is for Chat.
merthsoft wrote:
My vote is for Chat.
Indeed, but you like utilitarian naming schemes like "Chat" and "Tokens". Wink Just exploring some possible alternatives.

Edit: Tracked down and fixed the "ii" bug.
Heh, fair enough. I tend to lean away from acronyms and nonsense names, but to each his own.

The progress looks great, btw. I'm excited.
merthsoft wrote:
Heh, fair enough. I tend to lean away from acronyms and nonsense names, but to each his own.

The progress looks great, btw. I'm excited.
Haha, to each his own indeed. New things for today (screenshots coming soon)

[X] Figure out why messages don't send on the second or subsequent runs of Chat
[X] Add changed-name display ("**Kerm is now KermM")
[X] Try to figure out "ii" character in front of messages - is it 173d?
[X] See if any more AppVars can be removed
[X] Add renaming logic

Still underway:
[_] Reorder msg recv handling to not touch the mouse as much
[_] Save/restore the text entry field to something
*bump* Did the first of those two to-do items, still have the last one to do, but I may leave that to Merth (unless I end up doing it myself if I get bored). Wink Here's a fun little screenshot:

Ok, so what're my tasks? I haven't had a chance to look at the code yet, I plan on doing that tonight. Hopefully we can get this finished before I get my Arduino, so that we can have some inter-state chatting Smile As for the name, are we sticking with CALCnet Chat (stylized Chat!)? I quite like the name.
merthsoft wrote:
Ok, so what're my tasks? I haven't had a chance to look at the code yet, I plan on doing that tonight. Hopefully we can get this finished before I get my Arduino, so that we can have some inter-state chatting Smile As for the name, are we sticking with CALCnet Chat (stylized Chat!)? I quite like the name.
Then let's stick with that name. Here's what still is missing:

1) Removing lines that scroll off the top of the screen, and especially making sure that the 500-byte buffer doesn't get overflowed
2) Implementing the user list, including scrolling (I could provide code from the DCSB Lib function GUIMenu if it would help)
3) Add timeouts for calculators that haven't checked in in a certain amount of time
Will it support multiple "rooms"? It seems like with gCN things could get busy on a small screen Razz
That might be something for version 2. As it is now, I don't think that'd work too well with our distributed method. That would need (or, at least, I think would be better implemented with) a server-client paradigm.
elfprince13 wrote:
Will it support multiple "rooms"? It seems like with gCN things could get busy on a small screen Razz
No, I figure that all the calculators that are connected will want to be connected. The gCn metahub supports an arbitrary number of virtual hubs, each of which are distinct, so you can create arbitrary rooms over gCn.
Awesome!
*bump* I've implemented proper prepending and scrollback trimming. On the minus side, this makes messages appear newest-first, aka SAX-style (that's a minus if you find that counter-intuitive). On the plus side, it's almost infinitely saner than trying to do appending, intelligent trimming of the beginning, and forcing the text display box to scroll to the bottom. Hopefully people don't mind this too much; I know Merth is not thrilled with the idea. My TI-83+ has been using Chat on IRC for the past half-hour with no crashes or scrollback overflows, whereas previously a few minutes and a few lines would be enough to RAM Clear as the scrollback buffer overflowed.
*double-bump* I solved the CALCnet - disable - on - APD bug: the DCS GUI libraries were setting IM 1 for APD, as should be expected, so I made the Chat mouse hook set IM 2 as well as performing its usual EI.
p.s.: I vote for "Gossip DE"

Discuss sounds more like message-board software.
Agreed, but I'd say it's most associable with IRC, so let's stick with Chat for now. Smile Now that I'm home, time to do some debugging on the Arduino and why it's freaking out.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours