A friend and I are making a robot as homework for school. The robot is supposed to be able to follow a line on the floor (using 4 infrared sensors); the design will be Mario Kart-inspired.

Ah, a line-following robot! Glad to see that you're going with the standard axle + caster tripod design, and those are very nice CAD drawings. What's your CAD software of choice, SolidWorks? Also, I'm curious why four infrared sensors. Best of luck with this project; I hope you'll keep us up-to-date!
Yeah, it's SolidWorks 2010. And I've added a drawing of the sensors' disposition to the first post. Well, I could've used less, but I figured that this was an optimal disposition.
Silver Shadow wrote:
Yeah, it's SolidWorks 2010. And I've added a drawing of the sensors' disposition to the first post. Well, I could've used less, but I figured that this was an optimal disposition.
Yeah, that should work nicely. Many of my mechanical engineering (and some electrical engineering) colleagues in college took a class called Mechatronics in which they built line-following robots; I remember them wrestling with certain parameters like a tradeoff between sensor separation, speed, and accuracy. Have you run into or considered such possibilities?
We're not sure of what exactly we're gonna do... We're still testing out the optimal configurations...
Silver Shadow wrote:
We're not sure of what exactly we're gonna do... We're still testing out the optimal configurations...
That's fair, keep up the good work. Smile Let us know how it progresses.
UPDATE: added some photos of the real thing to the 1st post... Smile
Silver Shadow wrote:
UPDATE: added some screenies of the real thing to the 1st post... Smile
By screenies you mean photographs, right? Wink Those look great, nice craftsmanship. Smile
Returning IRL is difficult... Razz
I sometimes even want to copy/paste what is written on the blackboard! XD
Silver Shadow wrote:
Returning IRL is difficult... Razz
I sometimes even want to copy/paste what is written on the blackboard! XD
Tell me about it; I try to ctrl-S pieces of paper. Smile Anyway, don't let me hijack your topic.
Silver Shadow wrote:
Yeah, it's SolidWorks 2010.

Best CAD software available

/hijack by CAD nerd
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Silver Shadow wrote:
Yeah, it's SolidWorks 2010.

Best CAD software available

/hijack by CAD nerd
I prefer AutoCAD myself, but that's just personal preference.
I personally don't understand SolidWorks, and the computers we are allowed to use it on cause the software to crash every 10 seconds. I can get it on my computer, but I dunno if I really want to because it seems complicated to use, and the interface seems hard to get used to also.
_player1537 wrote:
I personally don't understand SolidWorks, and the computers we are allowed to use it on cause the software to crash every 10 seconds. I can get it on my computer, but I dunno if I really want to because it seems complicated to use, and the interface seems hard to get used to also.
Yeah, it seems fairly complex, but then again I feel that's true of any CAD software.
Actually, you get quickly used to it... but again, I'm not making complex things like diesel motors, so I dunno...
Silver Shadow wrote:
Actually, you get quickly used to it... but again, I'm not making complex things like diesel motors, so I dunno...
Eh, I tend to think it just takes more effort rather than requiring significantly more complex concepts.
Update!
Complete change of design! Check out the new pics (1st post)!
Almost finished! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours