So I've decided it's time to officially announce DecBot. Many of you who frequent IRC already know about good ol' DecBot; he keeps track of people's "karma" or "scores". If someone does something cool, you can say "name++" (where "name" is the name of the person you are trying to give points to), and their score will increment. Here are some commands that people in IRC can do (note: People on SAX can give people points, but can't do any of the commands):

Code:
Voice/Op only:
!top - Returns the top 3 users

!link nameToLink nameToLinkTo - links nameToLink to nameToLinkTo, so that nameToLink++ actually increments nameToLinkTo.

!save - Saves the names and links to file (this is done automatically)

!reload - Reloads the names and links from file, overwriting the current scores and links (this is useful for me when I hand-edit scores or links)

Anyone:
!karma name - Returns the score name

You can also check the scores at http://merthsoft.com/DecBot.php

A big thanks to Kerm for letting this bot exist and for programming help. Also thanks go out to Tari and Jonimus (TheStorm) for RegEx help.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, and please don't abuse him.
When Shaun came up with this idea I thought it was a great one, and his implementation does full justice to the idea, in my opinion. My only regret is that Sonlen doesn't seem to like having a score of -300, which reminds me of another point: currently you can only increment (name++) people's karma, not decrement (name--). We've tossed around the idea of decrementing being a voice/op-only command, but so far haven't done anything about it. Any thoughts?
There will have to be a specific check for that, because saxjax is opped, so anyone using saxjax would be able to decrement. That's an easy check to make, though, I'm mostly just adding a post so that I won't forget.
merthsoft wrote:
There will have to be a specific check for that, because saxjax is opped, so anyone using saxjax would be able to decrement. That's an easy check to make, though, I'm mostly just adding a post so that I won't forget.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that; it's an excellent point. The main reason I was thinking we might want decrementing would be to counteract any abuse of incrementing, but if it's too much trouble, it's not worth it.
Well, if there is any abuse, I'm able to hand-edit the links and scores, so I undo anything going wrong. I'll just have to be told. It's really not a much work either way.
Fair enough; your call on whichever you'd rather do.
Interesting, this will be like respect on omni, but for chat. Nice idea, although I foresee some problems with people whining about their points, so I THINK there should be some sort of rule to kick people like that (in my opinion)

ahem Dj Rolling Eyes

Razz
*bump*

Yay, karma works perfectly imho. Good work Merth Smile

now, just to be sure, only ops can make Kerma go down?
Only I can make Karma go down.
merthsoft wrote:
Only I can make Karma go down.
Indeed, which I think is a good solution.
oh, thats nice then. I expect everyone to have -38795y25820935 forever Razz
As punishment for abusing DecBot and linking Merth => Sonlen, now I have to write "I will not abuse DecBot" 100 times.
And you can't cheat and use a program to write it, either.
merthsoft wrote:
And you can't cheat and use a program to write it, either.
Darn, you saw right through my plan. I was going to write it in Perl to make Nikky happy.
KermMartian wrote:
As punishment for abusing DecBot and linking Merth => Sonlen, now I have to write "I will not abuse DecBot" 100 times.

huh, what do you mean?
Seems interesting, but seeing behavior from Omni people I will not name, you'll have to find a solution about people who whine everytime their karma decreases or when it doesn't increase fast enough. It could be a rule disallowing such thing, while it could simply be telling the person to shrug it.
That's one of the biggest reasons why I don't want to include a "--"; that way people can only go up. And since it's not as visible as the points on Omni, hopefully that'll abate the whining.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Seems interesting, but seeing behavior from Omni people I will not name, you'll have to find a solution about people who whine everytime their karma decreases or when it doesn't increase fast enough. It could be a rule disallowing such thing, while it could simply be telling the person to shrug it.
Since it's only on IRC, not on the fora, people don't seem to really worry too much about it yet other than having a bit of fun with it, which is just as it should be. Hopefully it doesn't become a problem.
Fine then, but lets just be a little wary for people like that, just in case `-`
qazz42 wrote:
Fine then, but lets just be a little wary for people like that, just in case `-`
I suppose, but I feel like any member that's immature enough to want to be abusive with karma or feel insulted about it probably isn't on IRC or aware of DecBot at all. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours