I really want to make a game using CALCnet, so I'm going to try to make a simple shooting game. It's probably going to be two players only for now, but I hope to expand it later.

First question: How do I draw a tilemap in ASM?
Write a tilemapper yourself >.> I don't think there is a DCS routine to do it, and I'm not sure how many there are out there. You can try searching through Ticalc and seeing if someone released one. (Not meant to sound rude @first part of post)
So I would just do iPutSprite (or whatever it is) until the screen fills up with sprites?
Correct. dcs.cemetech.net has the exact inputs you need.
souvik1997 wrote:
So I would just do iPutSprite (or whatever it is) until the screen fills up with sprites?
Yup, that would be just as fast and easy as any other method. The exact link:

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=SDK

Edit: Also, I must say that I'm very excited about this and will be happy to assist in any way possible.
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
Yup, that would be just as fast and easy as any other method.

One faster way would be to write routine that copy's the graph buffer to the lcd in 8x8 blocks rather than rows. Then you could just copy the sprites needed to draw the map consecutively like:

Code:
ld hl,sprite1
ld de,gbuf
ld bc,8
ldir
ld hl,sprite2
ld bc,8
ldir
ld hl,sprite3
ld bc,8
ldir
call gbufcpy8by8

I wonder if anyones done that before...

Other than that, this sounds pretty cool Smile
Yes, that has been done many times before, but for something like this, you're not redrawing everything often enough for it to be worthwhile. Smile
speedwise and memorywise it'd be better though.
Anakclusmos wrote:
Not really, because you'd then have to do the same thing for any text and non-aligned sprites you wanted to put on the screen, including characters, ships, and bullets.
KermMartian wrote:
Anakclusmos wrote:
Not really, because you'd then have to do the same thing for any text and non-aligned sprites you wanted to put on the screen, including characters, ships, and bullets.

Well, in the case of app-games, you could write or lookup a PutSprite routine that writes directly to the LCD. I think WikiTI has one. The only issue then would be smooth scrolling.
Anakclusmos wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Anakclusmos wrote:

Well, in the case of app-games, you could write or lookup a PutSprite routine that writes directly to the LCD. I think WikiTI has one. The only issue then would be smooth scrolling.
Let's stop derailing this topic. Souvik, where do you plan to start with this?
I plan to start by making a tilemapper and a movement engine. Also, this game will be a 2D top down shooter where you shoot your opponent(s) and try to dodge the opponent(s)'s bullets.
souvik1997 wrote:
I plan to start by making a tilemapper and a movement engine. Also, this game will be a 2D top down shooter where you shoot your opponent(s) and try to dodge the opponent(s)'s bullets.
Will you or the enemy be able to rotate, or will you both be fixed (see also: Phoenix)? Perhaps designing some sprites would be a good place to start.
The character's will be able to rotate, and I'm working on sprites right now. I hope to finish them by tomorrow.
souvik1997 wrote:
The character's will be able to rotate, and I'm working on sprites right now. I hope to finish them by tomorrow.
Sounds great. Let me know if there's anything I can do in terms of helping to design sprites. Am I correct that each player will be one ship? I'm a little nervous about what CALCnet's latency will do to something like this...
The character's will each be one ship.
souvik1997 wrote:

Are you going to make separate images for the rotation, or use a routine? I wrote a routine to rotate a sprite clockwise or counterclockwise by 90 degrees a while back if you want it.
I will probably use different sprites for each rotated sprite.
Anakclusmos wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:

Are you going to make separate images for the rotation, or use a routine? I wrote a routine to rotate a sprite clockwise or counterclockwise by 90 degrees a while back if you want it.
I'm 99% sure he'll have separate sprites; 8 bytes per sprite (or even 32) versus the CPU time to repeatedly rotate a sprite would be pretty inane.
KermMartian wrote:
Anakclusmos wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:

I'm 99% sure he'll have separate sprites; 8 bytes per sprite (or even 32) versus the CPU time to repeatedly rotate a sprite would be pretty inane.

Yeah, but the size could be insane with that many sprites (depending on how many objects would rotate). If he was using 16x16 sprites my routine couldnt help him anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 28
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours