I want to learn a bit of Z80 Asm (or a lot, if I can Razz), but I don't know what I need in order to start. I've found a few tutorials already. I'm mostly wondering about which assembler I should use. Is the syntax different between different assemblers? Are there ones that are better than others, or is it just a matter of choice? Do I need anything else, too? I read something about DevPac8x... It turns the assembled file into a 8xp, if I understand it correctly. This is needed, right?
Well, to start off, I'd say you should grab this: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/text/calcinfo/dcs_sdk.zip

The main syntax parts of the Brass compiler are (although old) here: http://benryves.com/bin/brass/

What compiler/assembler that you like to use is all up to you. It is completely a matter of preference Smile Learn ASM in 28 days is a nice tutorial, but I've heard that Hot_Dog's Z80 tutorials are really nice too. Good luck with learning ASM, it's a really nice low level language (the z80 branch is, at least imo) Smile If you have any questions, any of us can help out.
You should just use the Doors CS SDK, as _player suggested. It contains the Brass assembler, my own BinPac8x linker, all the includes and shell scripts you'll need for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux. All you need is Python and (for non-Windows) Mono. In addition, there is of course the DCS SDK PDF in there that explains all the Ion, MirageOS, and Doors CS ASM libraries. The syntax differences between different assemblers are negligible for simple programs. I would recommend ASM in 28 Days, although it's important that you write programs to cement your knowledge as you go, even if they're just little toy programs. I applaud Hot_Dog for his work, but some of the experience coders to whom I have spoke have expressed concern that he punts on bitmath and bitmasking, and breaks out of the standard header format when he teaches syntax, for example .org 40339 (ish) instead of .org $9D95-2. To each his own, though. Smile
Okay, thanks! I'll download the SDK and start writing some simple stuff. Smile
JosJuice wrote:
Okay, thanks! I'll download the SDK and start writing some simple stuff. Smile
Awesome! Please post all the ASM coding questions that you have in this topic or in whatever the appropriate topic is; it's straightforward, but many of the concepts can be initially challenging for coders used to higher-level languages.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours