I saw this on Friday night, in a Theater Real Extreme (T-Rex), and it was fantastic. Like really, it was fantastic: the music, the plot, the acting, the visuals, I loved it all. I don't want to say too much and risk ruining it for those who haven't seen it yet. but it rocked.
I second that. It was great Very Happy Also, did anyone see the word "Ubuntu" when the guy went to the back room? It was when he was in the terminal entering commands.
Yep. I saw that.

Also.

I WANT DEM STICKS. They turn into lightcycles and jets and just... Oi
Gimme.

That and Jeff Bridges' robe.
_player1537 wrote:
I second that. It was great Very Happy Also, did anyone see the word "Ubuntu" when the guy went to the back room? It was when he was in the terminal entering commands.

I don't think so. They were running an i386 build of SunOS.

Also, Jeff Bridges should have been a Jedi in the new Star Wars trilogy. He would have made Dooku 1000x more bad-a, and added some real acting ability.
I agree. There was only one thing that disappointed me.

Why would Jeff Bridges walk in and make a Jesus entrance without kicking a? WHY? I expected /kill to be happening left and right. :C
Raylin wrote:
I agree. There was only one thing that disappointed me.

Why would Jeff Bridges walk in and make a Jesus entrance without kicking a? WHY? I expected /kill to be happening left and right. :C

Spoiler wrote:

Freezing all the programs in the club and draining their power was pretty freaking awesome too. His role in the movie was clearly to have super powers, and not to be a ninja.

I just wish we'd gotten to see more of Tron kicking butt as himself and less of him looking threatening as Rinzler.
Actually, I've heard that the arcade was running Ubuntu and Jeff Bridges' computer was running Sun OS (?). Something like that.
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, I've heard that the arcade was running Ubuntu and Jeff Bridges' computer was running Sun OS (?). Something like that.

Ah, fair enough, I didn't see/remember seeing anything about Ubuntu, so I assumed the back room was referring to the lab downstairs. Also, just for the record, SunOS is definitely one word.
Actually, technically it's Solaris, is it not? Hmm, Wikipedia confirms that SunOS turned into Solaris. At any rate, yeah, that's what I've heard about the two OSes, but I'm hoping to see this during the break and look for myself. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, technically it's Solaris, is it not? Hmm, Wikipedia confirms that SunOS turned into Solaris. At any rate, yeah, that's what I've heard about the two OSes, but I'm hoping to see this during the break and look for myself. Smile

They were running SunOS 4.x, so it wasn't Solaris yet. One possible continuity error though was that they were running on i386 instead of on SPARC release, which seems a little unusual given the era the computers were supposed to be dating from and the job they had. SunOS did have an i386 distribution (which was probably easier to deal with for the movie makers), but it just seems improbable that it would have been used in place of SPARC.
Yeah, I agree with you entirely on the i386 vs SPARC issue. Smile
I just saw this last night(Harry Potter was sold out, oh what a shame).
Anything more specific than that, DShiznit? Had you ever seen the original? If so, did it help? If not, do you now want to?
i saw it a few weeks ago, and ive seen the original Smile both where amazing
hmm..
i thought it was a kid's movie before...

perhaps i should check it out as well Smile
I saw it about 2 days ago, and I did not notice the 3D effect as much as in other 3D movies such as Avatar. Overall it was a great movie, but there isn't much difference between the 3D and 2D versions.
KermMartian wrote:
Anything more specific than that, DShiznit? Had you ever seen the original? If so, did it help? If not, do you now want to?

Yes I saw the original, and yes it helped, particularly with the omfg epic win!!!11!!111!1! effect, which climaxed at Rinzler's last line. I just can't get over the feeling of massive win this brought on. Even my dad, who never saw the original, and had no interest in the series loved it. The one thing it arguably missed was the theme from the original about how every program contains the spirit of it's creator, which really resonated with me.

I wish I could enter my computer and interact with my own programs like they were actual women, though my fantasies are likely far more juvenile than the rest of yours.
Aight, so it sounds like I definitely need to go see this, then. Smile I'll try to see if I can watch the first movie first, though.
KermMartian wrote:
Aight, so it sounds like I definitely need to go see this, then. Smile I'll try to see if I can watch the first movie first, though.

If you haven't watched the original Tron yet, you should be handing your nerd-cred card over in shame at the Cemetech front desk.

souvik1997: I strongly disagree about the 2d/3d. There are some scene that are 2d in both versions, and supposed to be that way, but having seen it once each way, I can emphatically say that the 3d definitely helped the visuals. It wasn't distractingly so in the way of a lot of 3d movies, but it added to the overall aura quite well.
elfprince13 wrote:
souvik1997: I strongly disagree about the 2d/3d. There are some scene that are 2d in both versions, and supposed to be that way, but having seen it once each way, I can emphatically say that the 3d definitely helped the visuals. It wasn't distractingly so in the way of a lot of 3d movies, but it added to the overall aura quite well.

This. The 3D was used much the same way as color film in the Wizard of Oz, to make the fantasy world seem more "real" than the real world.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours