Yup, optimization is key, although with an RPG there's a certain boundary of text and sprite size that is impossible to push past, unfortunately. Sad
Of course, you could include all the text in the readme, and the game would say:
"Read section _._ in the readme to find out what happens."
Laughing

Edit: A game like that would suck.
c.sprinkle wrote:
Of course, you could include all the text in the readme, and the game would say:
"Read section _._ in the readme to find out what happens."
0x5

Edit: A game like that would suck.
I think at that point you might as well just write a computer game and not have to worry about everything related to optimizing and squeezing games onto your calculator. One of the beautiful things about calculator games is that they can spread virally, but people who get games via link cables generally won't bother finding the readme online to read.
Which is why the game would suck.
calc programming is better I think because everyone respects me at school for it and think I'm a genius. but I still have fun: for my lame old BASIC calc rpgs I sell $1 each and for pyyrix 1.0 I sell $7.99 a copy (I tell them since it's a flash app they have to pay more and since it comes with 10 levels LOL) and I actually get SOME money that way. Though, one of my teachers looked at trio and niko:falling mockups and he was dumbfounded as to how beast I am.
Ashbad wrote:
calc programming is better I think because everyone respects me at school for it and think I'm a genius. but I still have fun: for my lame old BASIC calc rpgs I sell $1 each and for pyyrix 1.0 I sell $7.99 a copy (I tell them since it's a flash app they have to pay more and since it comes with 10 levels 0x5) and I actually get SOME money that way. Though, one of my teachers looked at trio and niko:falling mockups and he was dumbfounded as to how beast I am.

$7.99? For a calc game? How many people have bought your game so far?
like 5 Shock

though to friends it's free, and to the communties for calc programming of course Smile
Ashbad wrote:
calc programming is better I think because everyone respects me at school for it and think I'm a genius. but I still have fun: for my lame old BASIC calc rpgs I sell $1 each and for pyyrix 1.0 I sell $7.99 a copy (I tell them since it's a flash app they have to pay more and since it comes with 10 levels 0x5) and I actually get SOME money that way. Though, one of my teachers looked at trio and niko:falling mockups and he was dumbfounded as to how beast I am.
I guess I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit, but I strongly caution you to not sell other peoples' works (not that I think you would); that would be dishonest. For example, unless I was getting a cut (and perhaps even if I was), I would be opposed to someone charging to install Doors CS.
Ashbad wrote:
[...]
I might need help. 7 pages... that's... large!

hopefully I can keep within 4, I'll try my best to optimize!

Har har. It would be larger, but quite a few data streams are pucrunch-compressed. If I had left everything uncompressed, this thing would've already blown past page 7.

You really ought to figure out compression, since that's the way you're gonna cram loads of stuff in relatively few pages. You can ask around about it, or you can PM me about it whenever you need that help
I'm in favor of the asking-around option, since I'd be very interested in what Iambian has to say on the subject as well. Smile I continue to be impressed at how advanced e:SoR is in many aspects, Iambian; keep up the great work. And Ashbad, I hope you also create both a fun and technically-proficient program.
I'll do the best I can Very Happy

and, I think I may have a few more mock ups later today, hopefully within the next hour or so.
Ashbad wrote:
I'll do the best I can Very Happy

and, I think I may have a few more mock ups later today, hopefully within the next hour or so.
Sounds great. I assume that these mockups are purely conceptual at this point, right? You haven't started writing the game itself yet?
unfortunately, not yet. But I need the concepts to show people (and myself) exactly what I am doing.
Ashbad wrote:
unfortunately, not yet. But I need the concepts to show people (and myself) exactly what I am doing.
I can understand that; I too usually mock up my interfaces and GUIs before I begin coding them. Unfortunately, once upon a time I would mock up things outside my ability to create, but luckily that's no longer the case. Smile
I already know that this is out of my reach without your guy's help, with it, possible Shock

MOAR SCREENIEZ

and yes everything here you see is all original and made by yours truly -- and I take pride in that.

EDIT: I see imageshack has made the bottom one blurry, the top one is unchanged though.
Nice Sprites. Hum.. Ashbad, what about answering my e-mails?
let me check my e-mail right now Shock

no idea you sent anything
ScoutDavid wrote:
Nice Sprites. Hum.. Ashbad, what about answering my e-mails?
Agreed, nice sprites indeed.
KermMartian wrote:
Unfortunately, once upon a time I would mock up things outside my ability to create, but luckily that's no longer the case. Smile

I figured out something very early on in programming: Nothing is too difficult to create, it's only slower than TI-OS when it finally works. Case in point: TI-OS Razz
Qwerty.55 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Unfortunately, once upon a time I would mock up things outside my ability to create, but luckily that's no longer the case. Smile

I figured out something very early on in programming: Nothing is too difficult to create, it's only slower than TI-OS when it finally works. Case in point: TI-OS Razz
Haha, well said. And yes, that's true: almost nothing is impossible. However, as I discovered from the feedback on Civilization Simulator I, people in general are willing to put up with a lot less slowness from my programs than I am.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours