KermMartian wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, $3 per cord, but keep in mind that you can cut them in half and extend them using three-conductor wire if you're not including sockets, which will make it $1.50 per plug. Smile

...and you still haven't answered my question regarding implementation. Wink
What question have I not answered? How to make your own "wires"? There's no easy way to make your own unit-to-unit link cables unless you have sources for 2.5mm stereo plugs and 3-conductor shielded audio wire, and can get the plugs for less than $1.00 each. Then you'd have to solder and attach and all that. Were you instead complaining that I didn't answer how to make the cords retractable?

You answered half of my question. Wink
I was wondering if you had any additional ideas/suggestions regarding how to put both cables and socket in the same box, as well as make it look pleasing (ie, not messy).
Personally, I'd just have sockets as well as a compartment with a hinged lid in which to put link cables. You could get cheap retractable USB cords from somewhere like eBay and disassemble them, then replace the cords with link cables, but that sounds like an expensive, complicated, and space-consuming solution to me.
I may be interested in buying, if I knew the final price.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I may be interested in buying, if I knew the final price.
For the sake of curiosity and supporting someone in the community, same here. Smile
*bump*
SirCmpwn wrote:
*bump*

Alberthrocks has been gone for a little bit, but I believe he will be back soon.
graphmastur wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
*bump*

Alberthrocks has been gone for a little bit, but I believe he will be back soon.
He dropped by yesterday on my behest to confirm that the (ASM/)Input bug was solved, but yeah, I get the impression that he is nearly as busy with finals as myself. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
graphmastur wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
*bump*

He dropped by yesterday on my behest to confirm that the (ASM/)Input bug was solved, but yeah, I get the impression that he is nearly as busy with finals as myself. Sad

I only have 1! But anyway, I'm sure he'll be less busy after he's done with that.
graphmastur wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
graphmastur wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
*bump*

I only have 1! But anyway, I'm sure he'll be less busy after he's done with that.
Indeed, I share your confidence that he will return and work on this project after finals.
I'm down to one final that really matters Smile
SirCmpwn wrote:
I'm down to one final that really matters Smile
Very nice. I've had zero finals so far, and two of two left that are very very important. Sad
I see. Good luck, then. I had two finals today, Physics and AP Government. The others are Band, Gym, APCS, and Engish, of which the latter two have been completed.
SirCmpwn wrote:
I see. Good luck, then. I had two finals today, Physics and AP Government. The others are Band, Gym, APCS, and Engish, of which the latter two have been completed.
Ah, best of luck. Anyway, I vote we keep this on-topic until Alberthro re-appears.
Hello again! Smile Sorry for my awkward disappearance; high school gets the best of you and your time, especially in the later years... Sad

I'm trying to get some projects done, both educational and personal. (And this! Smile) That will be saved for separate topics.

Now for some long overdue replies:

SirCmpwn: Price hopefully will be below $10, but no guarantees. (Not including shipping, but that shouldn't be expensive at all. I know from selling stuff on eBay.... a LOT. Razz) How much can you invest into buying one? I'll try to tailor it to that price.

KermM: I think I might end up sticking to either having a compartment to stick a bunch of cables in, or have little covers on the top with half of the wire soldered, half being the plug. Smile

And to everyone - could anyone with electronic parts buying experience help me put together a list? Any supplier is fine now, regardless of payment method, since my parents can do the purchases for me. Smile

Here's my idea of parts so far:

= 1 perfboard, unknown size (could anyone suggest sizes based on case?)
= Black shiny case, with logo on top (http://www.polycase.com/item/sl-73p.html)
= 7 or 9 2.5mm sockets
= 6 or 8 2.5mm plugs/wires
= 7 or 9 LEDs
= 7 or 9 10k ohm resisters (am I reading the schematic wrong?)
= 7 or 9 330 ohm resisters (same as above)
= (probably tons more, please tell me if I've forgot anything or got something wrong!)

Image of schematic, just so I can find it easily:
This is for building... one hub? Three hubs? I'm a bit confused by that parts list.
KermMartian wrote:
This is for building... one hub? Three hubs? I'm a bit confused by that parts list.

One hub.
Well, you're missing one 2N3906 (or equivalent) PNP transistor for each 10K/330/LED set, for starters.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, you're missing one 2N3906 (or equivalent) PNP transistor for each 10K/330/LED set, for starters.

Oh yes, silly me! Razz

Updated list:
= 1 perfboard, unknown size (could anyone suggest sizes based on case?)
= Black shiny case, with logo on top (http://www.polycase.com/item/sl-73p.html)
= 7 or 9 2.5mm sockets
= 6 or 8 2.5mm plugs/wires
= 7 or 9 LEDs
= 7 or 9 10k ohm resisters (am I reading the schematic wrong?)
= 7 or 9 330 ohm resisters (same as above)
= 7 or 9 2N3906 PNP transistors

Are there any other mistakes?
Why that number of LEDs? They'll all flash together, so you really only need 2 for the whole thing. Or if you're using one set per port, how did you end up with an odd number?
KermMartian wrote:
Why that number of LEDs? They'll all flash together, so you really only need 2 for the whole thing. Or if you're using one set per port, how did you end up with an odd number?

Oh... seriously? So there's no such thing as "per calculator status indicator"?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours