So, after going over what I had of the battle engine written down on paper and that that was working on calc, I have come up with a check list of sorts to go through and build the code on paper in chunks and I will assemble it later as I figure out exactly how I want the program to be done, since I need this thing to be extremely dynamic in what I want it to do.

-Clear screen
-recall data on enemy pokemon
-recall data on user pokemon
-Display text box
-Determine if wild or trainer battle
--if trainer battle, display NPC sprites and text
---clear sprites and post info bars
--if wild battle, post info bars
-store screen to temp pic var
-post pokemon sprites and hp data
-post menu options

This is as far as I have planned ahead so far with the battle system. I know, I have a LONG way to go, but this is the start. I didn't get the time this morning to work on this like I would wanted, but it is definitely a start.
tifreak8x wrote:
So, after going over what I had of the battle engine written down on paper and that that was working on calc, I have come up with a check list of sorts to go through and build the code on paper in chunks and I will assemble it later as I figure out exactly how I want the program to be done, since I need this thing to be extremely dynamic in what I want it to do.

-Clear screen
-recall data on enemy pokemon
-recall data on user pokemon
-Display text box
-Determine if wild or trainer battle
--if trainer battle, display NPC sprites and text
---clear sprites and post info bars
--if wild battle, post info bars
-store screen to temp pic var
-post pokemon sprites and hp data
-post menu options

This is as far as I have planned ahead so far with the battle system. I know, I have a LONG way to go, but this is the start. I didn't get the time this morning to work on this like I would wanted, but it is definitely a start.

Just a functioning GUI (as in moving cursor etc..) is a nice start, then adding functionality isn't so hard either. As far as putting it in the right place that is.
My main issue is being able to set this up properly so that when the attack is over, it properly comes back and redisplays the data appropriately. That is my main concern atm.

Scientist
    Lt. Surge
    Swimmer
    Jr. Trainer Male
    Nerd?
    Nerd?
    Bug Catcher
    Mr. Fiji
    Nurse Joy
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Cerulean City officer
    ?
    ?
    Bruno
    Loralei (spelling check)
    Player
    Rival
    Professor Oak
    Youngster
    Lass
    ?
    ?
    Blaine
    Old Man in viridian
    JrTrainer(Male)
    ?
    Hiker
    ?
    Gentlemen
    ?
    Brock
    Sailor
    S.S. Anne Chef
    ?
    ?
    Giovanni
    Team Rocket Grunt
    Channeler
    Security Guard (Saffron City)
    Erika
    ?
    Misty
    Lance
    Mom
    Cue Ball?
    Little girl on top of department store(tms for drinks)
    Officer Jenny
tifreak8x wrote:
My main issue is being able to set this up properly so that when the attack is over, it properly comes back and redisplays the data appropriately. That is my main concern atm.

Are there going to be animations for attacks?
If not, it shouldn't be that hard, but then again, I don't know how you are doing this.
Well, I need the text box to expand upwards high enough to take on 2 additional lines of text. Though.. hm.. I might not.. I need to play around with the length of the attack names.. see if I can't just put all 4 in there, with the number of PP they have left, and not worry about showing the max..
tifreak8x wrote:
Well, I need the text box to expand upwards high enough to take on 2 additional lines of text. Though.. hm.. I might not.. I need to play around with the length of the attack names.. see if I can't just put all 4 in there, with the number of PP they have left, and not worry about showing the max..

That sounds like what I am doing for FFME, I find it pointless to show the max if you need the room, so just showing the current is the best, imho that is.
And I hope you get it all working soon. Very Happy
I don't have anything more constructive or ontopic to add than to congratulate you on continuing to press on with this epic piece of software, TIFreak8x. Smile I admire your dedication.
KermMartian wrote:
I don't have anything more constructive or ontopic to add than to congratulate you on continuing to press on with this epic piece of software, TIFreak8x. Smile I admire your dedication.

I admired the fact of how dedicated he is once I realized this project is around 5-10 years old, and is still working on it, no matter how slowly.
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I admired the fact of how dedicated he is once I realized this project is around 5-10 years old, and is still working on it, no matter how slowly.
Not only that; it's quite well-known! Back in the day I published an article on digg about it that reached the digg front page:

http://digg.com/news/gaming/Pokemon_For_Your_Calculator
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Not only that; it's quite well-known! Back in the day I published an article on digg about it that reached the digg front page:

http://digg.com/news/gaming/Pokemon_For_Your_Calculator

lol, this is totally true. Completely wiped out my hosted space on calcgames.org when I was there within an hour, and put some serious strain on the Cemetech server there for a while.

As to progress, I am making some organizational progress with the battle system. Trying to ignore stress from life to make some progress with this, see where I can get to before the end of the year and the need to start a new topic Wink
Haha, that sounds like an excellent plan. I hope you succeed, and either way, I will look forward to tons of progress in the new year. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Haha, that sounds like an excellent plan. I hope you succeed, and either way, I will look forward to tons of progress in the new year. Smile

Seconded, and as I have said before, I will be glad to help in any which way I possibly can. Very Happy
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Seconded, and as I have said before, I will be glad to help in any which way I possibly can. Very Happy
Indeed, and myself as well, to the limits of my available free time. Smile

Page 25 of 25
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours