This isn't a big deal, I just got this calc from my now out-of-college and married cousin, and it's still usable(though the text can sometimes be rendered unreadable), this issue is just kind of annoying. This isn't constant, it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes only some of the pixels in the lines are dark, sometimes they disappear entirely if I refresh whatever menu I'm in enough times. Any idea what could be causing this, and how I'd go about testing for and fixing it? My dad and I have all the tools we'd need to open this sucker up if necessary.
I dunno what to say about this one...
Perhaps the LCD ribbon cable is a bit loose?
Raylin wrote:
I dunno what to say about this one...
Perhaps the LCD ribbon cable is a bit loose?
That is a classic symptom of the ribbon cable problem! I had two calculators with this issue and fixed both after painstaking tracking down of which ribbon cable traces were bad. On one I got away with a partial replacement, and the other I needed to do a full 17-connector replacement. DShiznit, too bad you missed Have Calc, Will Program yesterday; I did a half-hour segment on calculator repair and modding.
So I just need to replace all or part of the ribbon cable, like you did here? If so, I think I can manage that.
DShiznit wrote:
So I just need to replace all or part of the ribbon cable, like you did here? If so, I think I can manage that.
That's exactly correct. Do you have a fine-tipped variable heat soldering iron, solder, 30-gauge wire, a good 30-awg wire stripper (or nail clippers), and a multimeter? Also a Torx-6 screwdriver and a small Philips screwdriver?
I believe my dad has all that, but I'll have to ask. I know I have plenty of different gauges of wire lying around in my room, I know for a fact my dad has several complete sets of torx wrenches, and he wouldn't be caught dead without a wire stripper. The only thing I'm really not sure of is the multimeter, but I can probably get one from Home Depot if my Dad doesn't already have one lying around in his skunk works.
DShiznit wrote:
I believe my dad has all that, but I'll have to ask. I know I have plenty of different gauges of wire lying around in my room, I know for a fact my dad has several complete sets of torx wrenches, and he wouldn't be caught dead without a wire stripper. The only thing I'm really not sure of is the multimeter, but I can probably get one from Home Depot if my Dad doesn't already have one lying around in his skunk works.
Sounds good. It's possible you don't have 30awg wire and tools, though; it's extremely thin wire, also called "wire-wrap wire", and most wire strippers only go down (up?) to 24awg and no smaller. It's delicate to work with, because it's super-easy to nick the conductor when stripping it and have it break off when you solder it (or even have an open circuit), so it's important to be careful and to multimeter-check your connections after you soldering them.
Will this apply to the 92? I've got a 92 with a ribbon cable problem (just missing vertical lines along the display, but spread out enough to make it a pain to use)
willrandship wrote:
Will this apply to the 92? I've got a 92 with a ribbon cable problem (just missing vertical lines along the display, but spread out enough to make it a pain to use)
To be honest, I'm not sure, having not mucked about with TI-92 hardware before. Do you happen to have a Torx-6 screwdriver around? How comfortable would you be disassembling it and taking a picture of the cable in question? Alternatively, you could give me more details about it and I could try to find a hardware revision match at DataMath.
actually, the 92 I've got uses phililps screws Razz I have the torxes though, and have disassembled it already, and successfully reassembled it. It still works as well as before.

According to datamath, there is only one HW division of the 92. The 92 II HW 1 is a 92 with the module attached, and a HW II instead has that ROM built in.

http://datamath.org/Graphing/JPEG_TI-92.htm#PCB0696

The black line of tape at the top covers the display connectors.
willrandship wrote:
actually, the 92 I've got uses phililps screws Razz I have the torxes though, and have disassembled it already, and successfully reassembled it. It still works as well as before.

According to datamath, there is only one HW division of the 92. The 92 II HW 1 is a 92 with the module attached, and a HW II instead has that ROM built in.

http://datamath.org/Graphing/JPEG_TI-92.htm#PCB0696

The black line of tape at the top covers the display connectors.
Wow, I count no fewer than five display controller ICs, very impressive. That particular type of ribbon cable would be nearly impossible to fix without specialized parts and equipment. The only thing I could suggest would be carefully massaging where it is stuck to the LCD and the mainboard in case the adhesive has started to come loose.
yeah, tried that Sad it fixed 5-6 lines, but the rest are still broken.

It does have a viewscreen port....but I only have an 82-84 viewscreen.
willrandship wrote:
yeah, tried that Sad it fixed 5-6 lines, but the rest are still broken.

It does have a viewscreen port....but I only have an 82-84 viewscreen.
Ah, sorry to hear it. Sad I'm afraid that there's not a lot I can suggest in this situation.
I have a self-suggestion though....Razz get a viewscreen or another 92 (preferably a +, the original's 3D routine is SLOW!)

It's still semi-useable. It's somewhat random, with a line missing every 3 or 4 lines.
willrandship wrote:
I have a self-suggestion though....Razz get a viewscreen or another 92 (preferably a +, the original's 3D routine is SLOW!)

It's still semi-useable. It's somewhat random, with a line missing every 3 or 4 lines.
Yeah, I know that that can be useable but annoying. Sad Your solution is a good one, though. Very Happy
pity the viewscreens cost more than the calcs Razz so it's not exactly a cheap repair.

I've got a friend who got a TON of 82s from our school when he helped move a math teacher. They had upgraded to 83+s and 84+s, and he got 8 82+s, an 83+ se, and 2 viewscreens! One of the 82s had a dead screen, but it was a viewscreen and he used the viewscreen with paper behind it Razz
"82+"s? There's no such thing as a TI-82+ (as far as I know, unless TI remodeled the 82 case and renamed it). Lucky him, though.
My TI-82 and my TI-92 both have missing lines of pixel, but sometimes, when I use my TI-82 for a long while, turn it OFF then turn it back ON, sometimes it's fine again and other times fewer lines of pixels remain blank. With my TI-92, this missing lines of pixel started happening shortly after I got it, but even if I use it for a while the lines will still remain blank no matter what.

And nope, there's no TI-82 Plus. There's a TI-82 STATS and 82 Stats.Fr, but the former is actually a TI-83 and the other is also a 83 but translated in French.
oops, I meant 82s Razz I was even thinking of 82s.

I have never seen an 82 STATS irl. I know what they are, but they don't have them around here at all.
willrandship wrote:
oops, I meant 82s Razz I was even thinking of 82s.

I have never seen an 82 STATS irl. I know what they are, but they don't have them around here at all.
I was thinking of the TI-82 STATS when something was nagging at my brain about a newer TI-82, hence why I hedged my doubt about the TI-82+. Smile @DJ_Omni: Sounds like a classic ribbon cable issue; you should send the calculator to me so I can fix the cable and send it back one day. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours