So, I found a new level of creepitude on facebook:

On a wall-to-wall between two friends, I noticed a link at the bottom - you know, where "Like," and "Comment" are - that read "View Friendship." Now, that's pretty cool for those of us who want to stalk someone we a stalker-crush on. But, seriously?

And, for a "profile picture," it appears to be a random photo that both parties are tagged in. *Nope, not random, but the most recent*

Now, to view this at any given time with anyone, go to their profile and below their picture you'll see "View you and Friend."

Creep away. I've already viewed Kerm & I and a few others Wink
I no evryting.
Yup, this is a new feature that they just added, and there seems to be no way to opt out of it. I saw an article that decried it for being not only an invasion of privacy in terms of perhaps making the depths of certain relationships more explicit than one or both of the parties would lik, but also something that advertisers will love to get their hands on.
Apparently there's this number fad going around. I mocked it.
Can I just say I approve of Facebook's new profile layout? They've finally re-added one of my favorite features from the good-old days when it was students only, and I can list my course schedule again.
elfprince13 wrote:
Can I just say I approve of Facebook's new profile layout? They've finally re-added one of my favorite features from the good-old days when it was students only, and I can list my course schedule again.
Yup, I approve too, but I have one complaint. The ads are nearly half the width of my screen; what's the deal?!

@Comic: I saw that and thought it was hilarious.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Yup, I approve too, but I have one complaint. The ads are nearly half the width of my screen; what's the deal?!

You aren't using ABP?
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

You aren't using ABP?
I guess not. Sad Does it make the user experience a lot better?
With Firefox, AdBlock+ is an Add-In that can remove almost any ad from a page.
Maybe it's dependent on browser width; because I have no such issue with larger ads.

I use to have ABP but it just got annoying when over every embedded object or flash thing a little menu popped up when I mouse-overed that would stretch the page at times. I've learned to live with ads.
I've heard complaints from some others that adverts are wider, but I can't say I noticed any particular size increase.

Admittedly, I pretty much only use the news feed in Facebook which presents adverts infrequently in any case. They're more visible on the profile page:

If that's half of your screen width, KermM, I'd suggest getting rid of your CGA monitor and at least upgrading to VGA. Razz
Ben, hahaha, I may have been using a slight amount of hyperbole. The previous ads on my profile were at most half that width, though, with the image above (or below) the text rather than next to it.
Indeed. A while back the ads were much skinnier. They definitely increased the width of the adverts by a good amount :/
swivelgames wrote:
Indeed. A while back the ads were much skinnier. They definitely increased the width of the adverts by a good amount :/
Yeah, that's pretty obnoxious, although I guess when you get right down to it they (and Google) are advertising companies.
Judging by an old screenshot they've increased the width of the adverts from around 140 pixels to 244 pixels. It's not a huge increase and is still nicely isolated from the main site content. I'd get annoyed if they started injecting adverts into the news feed or similar...

Edit: Judging by comments I've seen from people, am I the only person who uses facebook.com as their bookmarked Facebook page?
benryves wrote:
Edit: Judging by comments I've seen from people, am I the only person who uses facebook.com as their bookmarked Facebook page?

That's what I use.
merthsoft wrote:
benryves wrote:

That's what I use.
Same here and I do a regular page search for via to see if any of my friends have started using a new app for me to block. Ifits not for use with a mobile device I block it. I find it is a simple enough way to keep my news feed full of things I actually care about.
TheStorm wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
benryves wrote:

That's what I use.
Same here and I do a regular page search for via to see if any of my friends have started using a new app for me to block. Ifits not for use with a mobile device I block it. I find it is a simple enough way to keep my news feed full of things I actually care about.
Same here. I'm not too organized about blocking annoying apps, though; I usually just ignore them.
Hm, I was just puzzled by the volume of comments about the profile page, as I rarely peer at my own profile page.

With regard to annoying apps, I prefer to just purge annoying people from the news feed. Razz
Super-bump and Fast-forward one year, Facebook is getting a new layout (it seems only for profiles) on December 22nd, announced today for beta testing.

For those who sampled the above link, or switched already (I have), what are your opinions?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Super-bump and Fast-forward one year, Facebook is getting a new layout (it seems only for profiles) on December 22nd, announced today for beta testing.

For those who sampled the above link, or switched already (I have), what are your opinions?

- I love how posts now have varied weight. This way, people are comfortable overposting (ex: posting every single song they listen to on rdio/spotify), without feeling like they're spamming everyone. It's great for users, and exposes more data to Facebook.
- I dislike how the cover photo can be hidden - they have a few bugs, such as the "View Profile as" field being hidden when the cover photo is collapsed.
- The increased post length is sick.

From what I hear from friends who spent their past summer at Facebook, there are lots of really interesting things still slated to come out from FB. I can't wait.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours