MufinMcFlufin wrote:
Usually programmers try to use as few programs as possible. Although it is nice to have extra programs while it's still in development, you should try to be sure there aren't so many programs in the end result. 13 programs becomes annoying to search through to find the one that runs the actual program, along with you may run into errors if a user accidentally runs the wrong program, then thinks that the entire thing is broken, and they get rid of it.

Of course, if you're already planning on reducing the number of programs, then you can just ignore all of this.

I can get it down to 4 fairly easily (main menu, encounter/battle/movement/map loading, help (separate program 'cause run from 2-3 different locations), and quit/credits). Is that condensed enough?

In about 1-1.5 hours I should have the next "version" queued to be added to Archives. That version will have everything but the fixed loading issue (the problematic code will be in there) and the condensed form. Once I get the loading issue resolved and condense the list of programs, I should be ready to post the final project. Very Happy
I strive to have each of my programs just one program, but often times that's too demanding. Usually one would make more programs if you have a huge section of code that would be executed several times in the program, like subroutines. I had made a Sudoku game a while back, and I had a subprogram that I used for highlighting/de-highlighting certain squares for your cursor (this was before I knew of xLib, so taking the inverse of a square required at the least some code, instead of just one command), and a few other things that I can't recall at the moment. I also had one program for the main menu with all the puzzles, one for the game itself, and one for the solver. The solver was only called once in the entire program, so that really didn't require it's own separate program, but the game was called at least 3 times in the main menu, so it really did need one.

Once you post your updated program I can see how many you really might be able to reduce it to.
My updated zip is waiting for Kerm to admit it into the Archives.
Beta7 wrote:
My updated zip is waiting for Kerm to admit it into the Archives.
File accepted. Smile The download link is here; you still want me to delete the old one, right?

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/basic/games/Haloesque.zip
Okay, the updated zip is in the archives. Please take a look and tell me what you think (I'll be adding a bunch more levels for the actual version, but won't release them until then Wink ).

@Mufin - I'm currently working on condensing it. I will get it down to 2-3 programs at most, possibly even down to 1 (if I can figure out how to get the Repeat loops working properly).
MufinMcFlufin wrote:
Usually programmers try to use as few programs as possible. Although it is nice to have extra programs while it's still in development, you should try to be sure there aren't so many programs in the end result. 13 programs becomes annoying to search through to find the one that runs the actual program, along with you may run into errors if a user accidentally runs the wrong program, then thinks that the entire thing is broken, and they get rid of it.

Of course, if you're already planning on reducing the number of programs, then you can just ignore all of this.
It depends if he's trying to avoid code repetition, though. If he's running incredibly low on RAM, he can't really sacrify 200 bytes here and there to have 3 less sub-programs containing code that is re-used multiple times in the game. Otherwise, he should be fine. Note that if he's low on RAM he can always use ASM libs to copy archived files to prgmXTEMP000 or something, but it depends if he wants to use any ASM libraries in his game. The later was inevitable, for example, in Illusiat 13, which is about 140 KB in size (800-ish maps), despite still being 90% finished. That game is split in about 20-25 sub-programs.

I think there's also a trick to use sub-routines inside the main program, too, but I don't remember where it was located. That can work, too, but I don't know if it was slow.
Beta7 wrote:
Okay, the updated zip is in the archives. Please take a look and tell me what you think (I'll be adding a bunch more levels for the actual version, but won't release them until then Wink ).
I'll have to try this when I get some more time. I'll download it now. Smile
Please read the description when you download it - I essentially turned off the combat so I could work on the mapg problems, so you'll need to turn those back on.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
MufinMcFlufin wrote:

It depends if he's trying to avoid code repetition, though. If he's running incredibly low on RAM, he can't really sacrify 200 bytes here and there to have 3 less sub-programs containing code that is re-used multiple times in the game. Otherwise, he should be fine. Note that if he's low on RAM he can always use ASM libs to copy archived files to prgmXTEMP000 or something, but it depends if he wants to use any ASM libraries in his game. The later was inevitable, for example, in Illusiat 13, which is about 140 KB in size (800-ish maps), despite still being 90% finished. That game is split in about 20-25 sub-programs.
I don't think he's anywhere near hitting those limits, and based on what Beta7 has been saying so far about the planned scope of the game, it sounds to me that he won't have to worry too much about flirting with 24KB of RAM in use. I'd think that at least for now, primarily optimizing for speed with a secondary focus on reducing code repetition will serve him well, although of course I heartily agree that he should learn the real(10,...) functions sooner or later, particularly if he's going to be writing RPGs.
Sorry guys - in the last "version" I still had a few of my "bug-finding" edits in there that mess up normal gameplay. I have just finished adding a second level (that accurately follows Mission 2 from Halo: Combat Evolved), but I need to add the storyline to all the events (in both the first level and this second one). I will try to have the "completed" version (at least, up to 3 out of 11 levels made) out by either later today or tomorrow afternoon.
Wabbitemu says Invalid File Format when trying to send prgmThetaHALOGAM to it.
Weird. Is anyone else having this problem?

Should I add all the conversation between Cortana and Master Chief (for the effect), or should I just put in the important stuff (opening few lines, if you run into a character who changes your objectives, etc.)?
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Are you using the newest version of WabbitEmu? That version is unusable for me.
souvik1997 wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

Are you using the newest version of WabbitEmu? That version is unusable for me.
That version is completely unusable for me too, which reminds me that I still owe you and Sonlen the older version I have.
After a couple of days of tidying the game up (at least, I hope that's what I was doing and not just "un-optimizing" it Razz ), it is now out here for you to try.

Haloesque

Please try it out and tell me what you think.

A couple of issues I was contemplating, but wanted to get others' feedback on it:

- Should the encounter rate be 1/8 or even 1/10 instead of 1/6? Are there too many fights to get through 1 level?
- Should I add more of the storyline chatter/info throughout, or would that just increase the size unnecessarily (since I am trying to make it a lot like Halo:CE)?
- Should I add a health/shield counter, for both the enemy and the player, on the battle screen (if so, where should I put it)?

Thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours