Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
How professional can one make a calculator game? Can you package one with a game manual and everything? Could you sell said games?

Discuss.
Raylin wrote:
How professional can one make a calculator game? Can you package one with a game manual and everything? Could you sell said games?

Discuss.


My father has an old Casio calculator and he had to pay engineering programs. With internet and hacking, that became impossible, though.

Discuss.
ScoutDavid wrote:
Raylin wrote:
How professional can one make a calculator game? Can you package one with a game manual and everything? Could you sell said games?

Discuss.


My father has an old Casio calculator and he had to pay engineering programs. With internet and hacking, that became impossible, though.

Discuss.


Way to be offtopic.
ticalc had a CD, in fact, that was sold with games on. TI discontinued it because of something or other.

Discuss.
Raylin wrote:
How professional can one make a calculator game? Can you package one with a game manual and everything? Could you sell said games?

Discuss.
Absolutely, just like ZoomMath sells their App2Math, or whatever that company/program pair is. The trick is somehow tying the key and calculator ID together so users can't just send the program to their friends.
From what I understand, the reason for the $C000 limit is largely to prevent commercial apps from being pirated and repackaged as programs.
I remember hearing about the $C000 limit was to stop stealing apps and such as well. I want to say that some other people have tried to sell their games and put ads for them on google as wel. I think DJ took some pictures of that.

Discuss.
_player1537 wrote:
I remember hearing about the $C000 limit was to stop stealing apps and such as well.
Citation needed?
Quote:
I want to say that some other people have tried to sell their games and put ads for them on google as wel. I think DJ took some pictures of that.

Discuss.
Well, I wouldn't call that unprofessional; the spirit of entrepreneurial enterprise is that if people are willing to pay for goods or services, that an entrepreneur provides those services and hopefully makes himself a profit. Would I be happier if I got a dollar for every Doors CS user? Of course. Would I want to stop people using it unless they gave me a dollar? Of course not, that's not the point of why I wrote the shell.
I think the $C000 thing was something I heard from BrandonW, though it's been a while since I've heard it.
_player1537 wrote:
I think the $C000 thing was something I heard from BrandonW, though it's been a while since I've heard it.
Ah, ok. It would certainly make sense if TI did that, though, considering that they once had developers submit Apps to them for signing, just like Apple does with the App store. However, that fails to explain why the same restriction is present on the TI-83, then, which has no such thing as Apps.
This is probably something stupid to ask but can you patent your calc games?
Raylin wrote:
This is probably something stupid to ask but can you patent your calc games?


(1) You can self-copyright things if you do not commercialize them
(2) You can officially copyright works of IP if you sell them, but if they are non-original concepts that do not infringe on existing copyright or IP
(3) You can patent ideas that are completely novel and are not covered with any existing patent. There are certain restricts on what kind of things you can patent.
KermMartian wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
I think the $C000 thing was something I heard from BrandonW, though it's been a while since I've heard it.
Ah, ok. It would certainly make sense if TI did that, though, considering that they once had developers submit Apps to them for signing, just like Apple does with the App store. However, that fails to explain why the same restriction is present on the TI-83, then, which has no such thing as Apps.

But this restriction is not present on the TI-83.
Oh, I very much beg to differ, no?

Edit: I was wrong, I found in on the TI-83+ version. Sad

Problem: http://cemetech.net/news.php?year=2005&month=all&id=87
Solution: http://cemetech.net/news.php?year=2005&month=all&id=89
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement