I'm working on a little side project. The scope of this project is to try to assemble a full tileset and sprite sheet that accurately reflect a classic Super Mario Bros. feel. This should be suitable enough to use in BASIC + xLib games, without any usage of grayscale.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1922/87831769.png
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5730/63282863.png

So far, I have a good portion of Mario's sprites, a handful of enemies and a tileset that could be used to represent some of the most basic elements of a level. (bricks, grounds, pipes, etc.)

(these all align to an 8x8 grid)

Just thought I would share, in case anyone might find these graphics useful. Feel free to use them however you see fit, redistribute, modify, etc. No credit / permission needed.

EDIT: Added an example level, as well.

EDIT by Merthsoft: Changed the larger images to links because of size
Those look great, Zera! I continue to be impressed by your spriting and artwork skills. Smile I don't personally have an immediate use for them, but I'm sure someone will.
One quick question, why is there a bullet bill launcher? Razz

Other than that, this looks amazing, good luck with this
qazz42 wrote:
One quick question, why is there a bullet bill launcher? Razz

Other than that, this looks amazing, good luck with this

It's in other Mario games. Why not? Razz
yeah, but it isnt a bullet bill launcher, world 1-1 doesnt have one Razz It is around 6-1 that we get bullet bills
These look awesome, Zera, I'm quite impressed. I have no idea what point qazz is trying to make, though. Keep up the great work!
I have to say, the thing that irked me about Mario 1.2 for the 83+ and Mario86 is that the sprites were all wrong. Hopefully future mario clones such as Project M and anything that uses these sprites pays attention to accuracy as much as you have.
Zera, I'm going to (as a gag) use your 8x12 mario sprite in my CALCnet2 pong demo. Hope you don't mind. Smile
I don't mind. In fact, I explicitly stated these can be used for any purpose. Feel free. Smile
Zera wrote:
I don't mind. In fact, I explicitly stated these can be used for any purpose. Feel free. Smile
Excellent. I hope you'll find the results suitably entertaining.

Threw together a title screen. It's entitled the generic "Super Mario Bros." for now.
That looks great, Zera! I look forward to seeing where you take this if you decide to take it further into being a full game. Smile
I'm going to share the sprites and tiles I have so far, along with a few example levels that show how some of the tiles are arranged.

The sprite and tile sheet (there are a few examples of how to arrange some otherwise confusing things; like side pipes and the axe / bridge that appears in castle levels)

Note that you see two mushrooms because I intended for the darker one to be a poisonous mushroom. (a la "The Lost Levels") I figured the heart sprite could suffice as a 1-UP, instead of a different mushroom sprite.

Example world 1-2 - an underground scene that leads to a tree-top area

Example world 2-1 - some plains with an underground bonus and a cloud bonus

Example world 1-3 - a castle

I designed these with a 96x64 screen resolution in mind. There's 8px reserved in the top area for the player's HUD. (number of coins, current world, score, etc.)

Things I need to finish with the graphics: Need to add a Bowser sprite, and possibly a few other enemies. The current enemy selection isn't very diverse. I'm not sure if I'll add data for water levels. I've been avoiding it since it seems complicated. So far, there are only sprites and tiles for overworlds, undergrounds, clouds and castles.

I would also like to find some way to indicate Mario's status - whether he's big or small, or fire Mario.
Awesome stuff!
I like the sprites so far, Dude! thing is, mario looks a little lacking in the outline around him, and the fire-spitting-flower monster has a kinda strange mouth, but other than that, I really like it!

So this is BASIC/Xlib? good luck! Very Happy
Ashbad wrote:
I like the sprites so far, Dude! thing is, mario looks a little lacking in the outline around him, and the fire-spitting-flower monster has a kinda strange mouth, but other than that, I really like it!

So this is BASIC/Xlib? good luck! Very Happy
I think the sprites continue to look great, Zera; keep up the good work.
Remember that anyone is free to use these in their own projects. I may or may not be able to produce a Mario game of my own. Either way, it would be cool if someone could make good use of the graphics I've thrown together by using them in their own projects.
Zera wrote:
Remember that anyone is free to use these in their own projects. I may or may not be able to produce a Mario game of my own. Either way, it would be cool if someone could make good use of the graphics I've thrown together by using them in their own projects.
I for one used the Mario sprite as a bit of an inside joke in a lot of the preliminary CALCnet2.2 testing and demonstration applications, including NetPong v1.1 and until the final days of its development, Flourish.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours