The 2010 ticalc.org Program of the Year awards have begun at last with the TI-81 category! You can vote for your favorite featured programs in the poll sidebar on the ticalc.org homepage. In the words of ticalc.org staff member and #cemetech guest Travis "tev" Evans:

TFA wrote:
Program of the Year voting for 2010 has started! Each week for the rest of this month we will be posting a survey for each category for the programs that were featured this year. Vote each week for your favorite program. The program that wins the most votes will receive the POTY award in its category.

Winners will be announced in January and will be awarded the special POTY screenshot. More information can be found on the POTY page.

This year we have a new category for TI Nspire programs. Also, for the first time in history, there will be a survey for TI-81 programs, because there were two featured TI-81 programs this year.

An (I think) interesting observation from yours truly:
Kerm Martian wrote:
Looks to me like these are the TI-83/+/SE/84+/SE candidates for 2010:

Age of Culture II (hybrid, featured in May)
Axe Parser (ASM, featured in May)
Bubble Breaker (ASM, featured in July)
Geometry Wars (ASM, featured in July)
xLIB (ASM, featured in July)
The Impossible Game (ASM, featured in August)
Contra83 (BASIC, featured in August)
Doors CS 7 (ASM, featured in August
Space Dash 1.2 (Axe, featured in September)
Splut (Axe, featured in October)
Mimas (ASM, featured in October)
Cuberunner (Axe, featured in October)
Simul (Axe, featured in November)
Bejewelled (ASM, featured in November)
Puyo Puyo (Axe, featured in November)

Wow, Travis and Chronomex and Nikky, I think different categories, like "utilities/shells/libraries" and "games" might be in order here. Smile What do you guys think?

Also, there's only a single TI-82 candidate (Robot Wars), so that pretty much wins that category by default.

There's apparently some discussion over whether the programs released in other years but featured this year should be included or not. What do you guys think? Smile
...and 20 years later, two TI-81 programs get featured. Finally.

KermMartian wrote:
There's apparently some discussion over whether the programs released in other years but featured this year should be included or not. What do you guys think? Smile

I think they should. They never really got a chance in previous years.

But then this year might not be the best year to include old programs. There were enough 8x features already...
Deep Thought wrote:
...and 20 years later, two TI-81 programs get featured. Finally.

KermMartian wrote:

I think they should. They never really got a chance in previous years.

But then this year might not be the best year to include old programs. There were enough 8x features already...
So would you be in favor of splitting by program type categories then? Or perhaps split between this year's programs and older programs? Or both?
Not splitting by categories. Suck it dry.
I like how it took 8 POTYs to get a TI-81 poll and that it happened 13 years after the calc is discontinued.

By the way, last year there was a TI-81 POTY, but since only one program got submitted, it won by default.

Anyway this year will be a great POTY run with many features. Very Happy
allynfolksjr wrote:
Not splitting by categories. Suck it dry.
So then Nikky says that they'll be splitting them into old and new programs. Laughing

DJ Omnimaga wrote:

I like how it took 8 POTYs to get a TI-81 poll and that it happened 13 years after the calc is discontinued.

By the way, last year there was a TI-81 POTY, but since only one program got submitted, it won by default.

Anyway this year will be a great POTY run with many features. Very Happy
Yup, definitely will be. I agree that that's pretty ironic; I wonder how many people out there still actually have a TI-81, let alone one that not boxed away somewhere and that has batteries. I think I'm probably one of a few dozen. Wink
I don't see the irony.
allynfolksjr wrote:
I don't see the irony.
The irony is that ferrous molecules became interwoven into the code of the TI-81 programs, thus making them tasty irony when placed on the tongue.
Very punny.
Oh, good, my first POTY Very Happy
now what to vote for?.. what to vote for?...
qazz42 wrote:
You know what you should vote for in the TI-83+ category, right? Nudge nudge? Wink I of course kid... Evil or Very Mad
Da RANDOM NUMBAR GENERAT0R!!1111!
Deep Thought wrote:
Da RANDOM NUMBAR GENERAT0R!!1111!
I was thinking more of a program that would ... open doors for you... (as well as being a decade-long project of someone near and dear to me). Laughing
I'll vote for your shell, Kerm. Razz
Not splitting it up by old/new either.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Not splitting it up by old/new either.

Nikky clearly holds the power in this relationship. I'll be on the lookout for things to turn abusive.
Kerm wrote:
....open doors for you ....

Haha Kerm Very Happy lol
souvik1997 wrote:
Kerm wrote:
....open doors for you ....

Haha Kerm Very Happy 0x5
Thanks. Smile

@Elfprince13, I'd even go so far to say that Nikky wears the pants in the ticalc.org staff, but those purple glasses make me wonder.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
You know what you should vote for in the TI-83+ category, right? Nudge nudge? Wink I of course kid... Evil or Very Mad

Kerm, DUH, I know what I am voting for in regards to the TI-83+

I am contemplating what to vote for the nspire and 68k catagory
Haha, I hope a lot of people share your sentiments, Qazz and c.sprinke. Smile Based on the chatter on the news article at ticalc.org, it's sounding like either an old/new split or no split at all. At any rate, tomorrow will be one week for the TI-81 category, so I expect there will be a new article tomorrow!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours