Oh, and I forgot the Flemish Exams Commission... I had to submit my text list for the Latin exam.
I gave them a nice list with references to text by certain authors. As you might not know, those references are entirely standardized. If I say, for example, 'Virgil, Aeneid I verse 35 to 150', everyone knows what exact part I'm talking about, or at the very least, the examinators will. They're classics majors.
Well, the secretary sent me a letter (in the snail mail), to tell me that I must supply the FULL TEXT. What the #@!&n hell? A few goddamn days before the deadline? What kind of people do these jobs? For the record, I submitted all the bureaucratic nonsense over three weeks ago... Idiots. Now I see why nothing ever gets done in this country.
benryves wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
-Opera spell-checker saying "everytime" is spelled incorrectly.

Do you also complain that it flags "alot" and "nevermind" as mistakes? Smile
Not to mention "alright" and "wakeup". Smile

Mapar007 wrote:
Oh, and I forgot the Flemish Exams Commission... I had to submit my text list for the Latin exam.
I gave them a nice list with references to text by certain authors. As you might not know, those references are entirely standardized. If I say, for example, 'Virgil, Aeneid I verse 35 to 150', everyone knows what exact part I'm talking about, or at the very least, the examinators will. They're classics majors.
As a fellow Latin scholar, those references make perfect sense to me. I do hate bureaucratic nonsense; sorry for your troubles. Sad

Mapar007 wrote:
My little brothers grind my gears. Can't they take the volume of their fighting down a couple o' notches? Grrr...
At least they're fighting with each other rather than both ganging up on you, no? Laughing Although I could definitely see how annoying that could be.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
-People who have absolutely no sense of humor and whines everytime you want to have some fun.
Yeah, people with no sense of humor are a pain in the neck. Luckily I don't have to deal with too many such people either in real life or here on Cemetech.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
-Starcraft players that uses lag hacks (to purposely make the game lag)
On that subject, UT2004 players who use aimbots and claim that they don't.
Java programming language is grinding my gears.It has a nice API,but too many limitations which make plugin systems in java nearly impossible.
blitz_9100 wrote:
Java programming language is grinding my gears.It has a nice API,but too many limitations which make plugin systems in java nearly impossible.
I'd expand that to say that Java in general has too many limitations and awkward programming conventions that don't make a whole lot of sense, personally. Sad
I really hate people who fill half of their sentence with "Like" and "Umm"
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
-Opera spell-checker saying "everytime" is spelled incorrectly.

Do you also complain that it flags "alot" and "nevermind" as mistakes? Smile
Not to mention "alright" and "wakeup". Smile

I'm with you on "wakeup" but "alright" is generally accepted in British English.

qazz42 wrote:
I really hate people who fill half of their sentence with "Like" and "Umm"

Like, totally.
Kerm, I will tell you right now. I don't use an aimbot! >Sad
I have just been practicing recently Razz
KermMartian wrote:
blitz_9100 wrote:
I'd expand that to say that Java in general has too many limitations and awkward programming conventions that don't make a whole lot of sense, personally. Sad

I would say Javascript should be dropped and replaced with Actionscript, so much easier to learn and use. :p
When people confuse Java and Javascript.
elfprince13 wrote:
When people confuse Java and Javascript.

When people assume they know what you are talking about and say the wrong thing.

I was talking about Javascript, I had to use it in one of my classes. >.>
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
blitz_9100 wrote:

I would say Javascript should be dropped and replaced with Actionscript, so much easier to learn and use. :p
I can't even express what a horrible idea that is in my opinion. Smile The two languages are intended for two completely different purposes. Javascript allows automation and interaction with HTML/CSS DOM elements. ActionScript makes Flash work. ActionScript would be way overkill for Javascript, especially since it would need all kinds of DOM-interaction tools, and Javascript, before HMTL5 at least, does far fewer eye-candy-related things than ActionScript. Anyone feel free to correct me if you disagree, of course.

@Elfprince13: I agree on the confusion between Java and Javascript, although I've found that that mistake gets made less and less frequently these days.
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
blitz_9100 wrote:

I can't even express what a horrible idea that is in my opinion. Smile The two languages are intended for two completely different purposes. Javascript allows automation and interaction with HTML/CSS DOM elements. ActionScript makes Flash work. ActionScript would be way overkill for Javascript, especially since it would need all kinds of DOM-interaction tools, and Javascript, before HMTL5 at least, does far fewer eye-candy-related things than ActionScript. Anyone feel free to correct me if you disagree, of course.

@Elfprince13: I agree on the confusion between Java and Javascript, although I've found that that mistake gets made less and less frequently these days.

Well I see what Javascript can do according to that, but at least it should be more user-friendly, and much more simple.
Plus I was getting at making Javascript more like Actionscript, though I was saying that far from being obvious at what I meant.
They both suck, and they both "grind my gears"... ):
I'm sure you're aware that both JavaScript and ActionScript are essentially the same language?

JavaScript-the-language is actually rather nice, but I would agree that interacting with the DOM is not desperately pleasant. That's why there are great libraries such as MooTools (or, for an uglier and less elegant option, jQuery) to provide a sane and consistent interface to the varying implementations between browsers.
benryves wrote:
I'm sure you're aware that both JavaScript and ActionScript are essentially the same language?
I hadn't the faintest clue. Smile Thanks for that tidbit, and that kind of thing is exactly why I invited corrections.
KermMartian wrote:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
-Starcraft players that uses lag hacks (to purposely make the game lag)
On that subject, UT2004 players who use aimbots and claim that they don't.
Oh, I hate hackers, really. Fortunately I do not run into them a lot in Starcraft II, but now Starcraft Brood War on Battle.net is overrun by hackers. Nowadays the new trend is the disconnect hack. When you're about to win the game, the opponent runs a script to disconnect you from the game so they get the win. Another hack is the mineral and map hack, but most people who use such hack are so bad at the game that they still get owned by anyone.
Meh, that sounds like a total pain in the neck. There aren't any defensive hacks to prevent those? Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours