One easy way to compare tastes is via last.fm.

I tend to listen to English rock or heavy metal (Pink Floyd, The Who, Hawkwind, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Kinks, Blur, Muse, ...)

Whilst I'm not desperately into techno or dance I do like some electronic music (such as Wendy Carlos, Yellow Magic Orchestra and The Prodigy).
Trance ^^ I also listen to a large variety (imo) of music, such as: songs by George Thorogood, 80s music, Led Zeppelin, Nightwish, and maybe some more that I can't think of right mow Smile
benryves wrote:
One easy way to compare tastes is via last.fm.

I tend to listen to English rock or heavy metal (Pink Floyd, The Who, Hawkwind, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Kinks, Blur, Muse, ...)

Whilst I'm not desperately into techno or dance I do like some electronic music (such as Wendy Carlos, Yellow Magic Orchestra and The Prodigy).

This sums me up 99%. I'm just gonna add The Beatles, System of a Down, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, Smashing Pumpkins, and extra emphasis on the Floyd.

Great taste in music, if I haven't told you already, benryves.
I listen to whatever is on iTunes' top 10 list (mainly rap/pop). I also like classical and rock. Electronic music is not something I would enjoy listening too, and I absolutely hate country music.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
This sums me up 99%. I'm just gonna add The Beatles, System of a Down, Molly Hatchet, The Outlaws, Smashing Pumpkins, and extra emphasis on the Floyd.

Great taste in music, if I haven't told you already, benryves.
Hehe, thanks. Smile I must say I'm more of a Rolling Stones fan than a Beatles fan, however!

souvik1997 wrote:
Electronic music is not something I would enjoy listening too
It's a pretty broad genre. Wendy Carlos, one of its pioneers, is well-known for her electronic rearrangements of classical music (two examples from films are the title music to A Clockwork Orange and The Shining). If you're into video games then you may well recognise Rydeen by Yellow Magic Orchestra as it's used in Stryker's Run, Super Locomotive and Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

(And, of course, what discussion of electronic music would be complete without Bill Bailey's tribute to Kraftwerk?)
hmm: lastfm is telling me that
"I'm into indie, soundtrack, electronic, alternative and japanese, including:
The Flaming Lips, Gregory and the Hawk, The Seatbelts, The Beatles, Tom Waits, Uncle Skeleton, Murray Gold, Enya, Delorean, Passion Pit, They Might Be Giants, Pogo, Modest Mouse, The Postal Service, Howard Shore, múm, Tomáš Dvořák, The Decemberists, 菅野よう子, Terry Scott Taylor, Islands, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Local Natives, The Protomen, 近藤浩治, Ugly Casanova, 平沢進, Noah and the Whale, Death Cab for Cutie, Amiina, Oingo Boingo, Nifflas, Shoji Meguro, Jaymay, Freelance Whales, The Shins, Tsutchie, The Submarines, Sigur Rós, Dan Deacon, Karen O and the Kids, Beach House, Sufjan Stevens, Iain Ballamy, 大谷幸, Red Sea Station, Superhumanoids, Loquat, Saitou Tsuneyoshi, Fanfarlo."

i would add Phoenix, Avishai Cohen, Daft Punk, Coeur de Pirate, Blind Pilot, The Dodos, Mumford and Sons, Rökkurró, Starf*cker, Laura Marling, Brian Eno, and Jonsi/Jonsi&Alex/Sigur Ros to that list, but that's just me...
KermMartian wrote:
...and of course lots of symphonic rock like Dream Theater, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, etc.

Symphonic Rock != Progressive Metal
@Shmibs, wow, that's quite an extensive list! Also an interesting mixture of genres and obscurities.

@Ultimate Dev'r: Eh, I'm happy with my categories, especially considering which songs of each of the groups are my favorites.
KermMartian wrote:
My hypothesis is that as a rule we all tend towards rhythmic music like techno/dance and symphonic rock/metal, which are my two favorites. Validate my hypothesis.

This, but also rock on the punk/alternative spectrum. Also, music with a Gaelic or Celtic influence, and folksy things. And rock with unusual instrumentation.

My facebook-professed list includes:
"Weird Al", 30 Seconds to Mars, 311, Anberlin, Bat for Lashes, blink-182, Breaking Benjamin, Brooks Williams, Busted Brix, Carbon Leaf, Coldplay, cyborgjeff, DJ Omnimaga, Death Cab For Cutie, Deep Freyed, Dispatch, Eisley, Evanescence, Foo Fighters, Gaelic Storm, Girlyman, Gnarls Barkley, Greenday, Hellogoodbye, Incubus, Jack Johnson, Jack's Mannequin, Jason Harrod, Linkin Park, Kasabian, Kate Rusby, Mark Heard, Mark Knopfler, Muse, Nemesea, Nightwish, Over the Rhine, Paramore, Paul Simon, Phil Keaggy, Poets of the Fall, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rise Against, RushAngel, Silversun Pickups, Seether, Shades of Dream, Snow Patrol, Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers, T-Bone Burnett, The All-American Rejects, The Airborne Toxic Event, The Bravery, The Joy Formidable, The Killers, The Offspring, Toad The Wet Sprocket, U2, Van Morrison, Within Temptation, Yellowcard

Last.fm tells me that I'm into rock, indie, alternative, punk rock and emo, including:
Mark Heard, Yellowcard, Anberlin, Gaelic Storm, The All-American Rejects, Paramore, Rise Against, Over the Rhine, The Killers, Carbon Leaf, Breaking Benjamin, Coldplay, Nightwish, Snow Patrol, Nemesea, T-Bone Burnett, Death Cab for Cutie, The Airborne Toxic Event, 30 Seconds to Mars, Mark Knopfler, Linkin Park, Muse, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Jack's Mannequin, The Offspring, Green Day, The Bravery, Eisley, Evanescence, Red Hot Chili Peppers, blink-182, Shades of dream, Incubus, Relient K, Paul Simon, Kate Rusby, Bat for Lashes, Within Temptation, Dispatch, My Chemical Romance, U2, Jack Johnson, Modest Mouse, Seether, Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers, Silversun Pickups, Foo Fighters, AFI, Motion City Soundtrack, The Kooks.
Gaelic and Celtic influences for the win indeed. I'm constantly searching for some Celtic/Gaelic/Irish techno more sophisticated than a four-on-the-floor Scotland the Brave, so if any of you happen to find any, I would love to hear about it.
KermMartian wrote:
Gaelic and Celtic influences for the win indeed. I'm constantly searching for some Celtic/Gaelic/Irish techno more sophisticated than a four-on-the-floor Scotland the Brave, so if any of you happen to find any, I would love to hear about it.

I heard a fun synthy Irish dance piece at the International Fest on campus a couple weeks ago. No idea what it was though.
I think this thread needs more yodelling. (What's that? Not rock and roll enough for you?)
I was hoping that second link would feature rock-yodelling or some such and I was not disappointed.
I guess most of my favorite musicians play punk, folk, jazz or rap. The groups/musicians I'm listening to most this past week or so are Direct Hit!, Charles Mingus, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Comadre and Trampled By Turtles.

To those of you who don't like rap because of the lyrics I'll say this: there's groups in every genre with bad lyrics and 99% of the time that's all you'll see on the surface. Check out the Doomtree crew for some great lyrics along with great vocals/beats. Honestly, there are only a handful of lyricists that come close to these guys.

When I'm in the car I'm almost always tuned into one of the local jazz stations.

I'll never understand the country hate. It's a great genre.

There's too much great and varied music out there to decide 'I like this genre and that's all I'll listen to'
benryves wrote:
I think this thread needs more yodelling. (What's that? Not rock and roll enough for you?)
I had totally forgotten about that Focus song now I need to find a copy of it somewhere.
benryves wrote:

I prefer Helloween's cover of Hocus Pocus:

'90s eurodance, happy hardcore, pre-2005 UK hardcore, pre-2003 Trance, '90s eurobeat, power metal and italo-disco. There are a few exceptions: I may like a ballad, for example, if I like the melody, which is why I like one Madonna song.

I also like video game music, but my favorite style of VGM is that stuff:

benryves wrote:
Ben, you never cease to amaze me. Rock-and-roll yodelling is everything I had hoped it would be, and more.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours